Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Andy Straps panniers do go on, but they rub the rear springs. The Stuffsak goes on to the seat as well, but getting it far enough back to give me room on the seat is a bit of a drama. The points where I figured I could strap it to were centred on the middleof the pillion seat, so I got squeezed forward too far.

A rack would it a sweet bike. H&B one looks a good option. Kawasaki apparently don't do anything. I was told it's 'product liability' guff.

Nope, doesn't go terribly fast. Fuel consumption is good but range is shit- 200km on bitumen.

It's nice & simple.

Trouble is it is physically too small for me, the missus and gear to go away for anything other than a day ride. So, it's still for sale.
So by the sound of it Ray, I'll be hanging onto my old XS's for a bit longer then!!
How big is the tank - 15/16lts?

Yep, we both fit on there, very squeezy but we luv it!
Coming back from the 'Spaghetti' rally last year
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #32
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
How big is the tank - 15/16lts?
I wish.
More like 13 litres. 10 before the warning light comes on. I don't think I've pushed it past 230km. I can't recall how much went in it at the time. It's not been a drama, as it's not been ridden much - just one over nighter in it's life & that was down to the coast. I wasn't carrying spare fuel, so I played it as safe as possible.

Still, the 13 litres in that goes a lot further than the 13 in the RD.

When I was typing about the size of it, I was wondering how much bigger an XS650 is, thinking of you (sweetheart). What's the chance of an up-to-date XS650? Buckley's? They are probably selling too many XVSs.

edit;
Only photo I've got with the bike 'loaded'. A rack would've made the trip much more enjoyable. And it was very enjoyable as it was.

Rear springs are far too light for two up riding.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/

tripodtiger screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 09:46 PM
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #33
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,733
Mine gets some where between 23- 25 kpl. The low fuel light does come on a bit early at about 230-240 km range.

Could go old school and use gearsack panniers or just use my BMW panniers lying around the garage.

Kawasaki does do OEM extras like I have on my bike. Crahbars and colour matched bikini fairing. Kawasaki Aust, think it just too hard to bring them in. I bought mine cheaper through Kawasaki Japan with free EMS postage via webike http://japan.webike.net/KAWASAKI/W800/6216/mtop/

81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #34
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,332
Interesting. My fi Husky/BMW/redheadedbastardstepsister single gets over 320 out of a 13 litre tank. Be nice to drop a big tank on the W. A really big one, painted the same green... and then there is the RS siting there, trapped on an island at the bottom of the world.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #35
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

When I was typing about the size of it, I was wondering how much bigger an XS650 is, thinking of you (sweetheart). What's the chance of an up-to-date XS650? Buckley's? They are probably selling too many XVSs.

Standard XS650 tank is 15lts, up 300kms +
Special XS650's [Cruiser type '78-'82] is 11lts, way too small, only gives about 200kms +

Guzzi tank @ 22.5lts [bottom one] is good for up to 500kms depending on what ya doing at the time
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #36
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Interesting. My fi Husky/BMW/redheadedbastardstepsister single gets over 320 out of a 13 litre tank. Be nice to drop a big tank on the W. A really big one, painted the same green... and then there is the RS siting there, trapped on an island at the bottom of the world.
Yes, it is sad. That is why I am coming over in November with wife to look at houses in country Victoria.

Most W800 owners seem to be averaging about 26- 27kpl giving a range of theoretical range around 320 km.

Piccy from today

81' BMW R100 TIC
Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #37
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

What's your opinion of the W800 Dan?
Good points verses Bad, I'm curious as to get your slant on the bike overall,
70 mpg [26kpl] [rough working conversion], is what I would expect from a big twin under normal conditions, I've had that out of XS650's before, just casual backroad cruising under 100kph.
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-11-2013, 03:43 AM   #38
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Quote:
What's your opinion of the W800 Dan?
Good points verses Bad, I'm curious as to get your slant on the bike overall,
70 mpg [26kpl] [rough working conversion], is what I would expect from a big twin under normal conditions, I've had that out of XS650's before, just casual backroad cruising under 100kph.
Cheers
Baza
I really like it is the simple answer. If you grown up on early triumph bonnie's or XS's. You will feel like it is a updated version of an old bike and instantly at home. If have grown up with modern bikes, then you probably hate it and say. It vibes too much.

Pros; Max torque at 2200 rpm and pulls away off idle. Accelerates about the same as a R80 or a modern V7. Light and nimble. 20kg lighter than the current Bonnie. Great in heavy traffic with the heavy fly wheel. Good for short to average size blokes. Holds a high cornering speed. Being a UJM, you just bolt stuff on. Long wheel base makes it great on dirt road rally bike. The quilaty of workmanship is at least 100% better than a modern Triumph.

Cons; Fuel tank should be 4 litres larger. Suspension is very soft. My rear suspension is on max and I have 10mm spacer under the fork caps. Rear suspension is easily replaced with just about any thing 330 mm long. Maybe too quite for some. Some take a 20 mm hole saw down the end of the exhaust to liberate more sound and 5hp extra. I would go up 1 tooth on the front sprocket to lower the revs by 500 at 110kph actual. Seat needs a sheep skin any more than a couple of hours.
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old 06-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #39
livo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Laugh young'uns can love the Big W as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan View Post
I really like it is the simple answer. If you grown up on early triumph bonnie's or XS's. You will feel like it is a updated version of an old bike and instantly at home. If have grown up with modern bikes, then you probably hate it and say. It vibes too much.
It is a very special kind of bike. I'm 26 and have grown up with modern road bikes - a DR-Z 250 thumper and a DL650 V-Strom. When I first hopped on my Dad's W800, I absolutely loved it. It had me grinning from ear to ear.... it was like riding for the first time all over again. I missed out on that era of motorcycling, but I'm glad that a bike like the W800 still exists to give me a taste of what it used to be like.

Yes, it does vibe a lot (can never see out of the mirrors), but I actually think the engine has gotten a bit better with age and is more 'settled'. I do prefer my V-strom.... but mainly because it's MY bike and it perfectly suits the riding style that I like.

I'll still always have a special place in my heart for the Big W. My face is always sore after riding it because I've been smiling the whole time
Old 06-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #40
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Thanks for that Dan, thought it would be fairly close to what the old XS650 is like,
now if on the sidestand @ idle - does the front tyre bounce?, that's vibration for you!
Sounds interesting enough to take one for a test ride, reckon it'd have enough guts to tow a trailer?
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #41
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Sounds interesting enough to take one for a test ride, reckon it'd have enough guts to tow a trailer?
Cheers
Baza
How does a trailer compare with a pillion & panniers? If the W was physically larger I think I'dwant to keep it. Aside from disliking selling bikes at anytime, it's nice to ride,as long as you're happy to just poke along. Want to go fast, a lot? Buy something else.

As a solo bike I agree with whomever it was (can't find the post) that suggested the gearing could go +1 at the countershaft. And the rear springs are too light.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #42
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
How does a trailer compare with a pillion & panniers? If the W was physically larger I think I'dwant to keep it. Aside from disliking selling bikes at anytime, it's nice to ride,as long as you're happy to just poke along. Want to go fast, a lot? Buy something else.

As a solo bike I agree with whomever it was (can't find the post) that suggested the gearing could go +1 at the countershaft. And the rear springs are too light.
Extra weight?, 70 - 100 kg average I guess, plus added drag, two extra wheels & bearings etc., wind drag?
I worked out roughly that 'Kenny' was carrying/towing around 400kg, fuel consumption dropped to 18kpl,
Biggest issue I've had is lack of grunt [650cc], thought about dropping a 750 kit on & doing a bit more engine work to bump up power,
& clutch issues, which I'm still sorting out [hopefully], multi-plate clutch in engine oil doesn't help!!
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #43
medicmick
Spike

Oddometer: 831
Rear tyre wear

What are you getting on the rear?

What options for longer wearing hoop?

from TL125 to '08 DL 650 WeeStrom in 30 years.

Ulysses # 51624
FarRider #300

Circumnavigated the island of Rarotonga ,Cook Islands, all 32kms of it on a Nifty50. Does that qualify as an Adventure.

You can do it hard but do it safe.
medicmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #44
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

What's the wheelbase on the W800's?
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #45
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

The oem rear was gone in about 5300km on mine. I had trouble finding the oem tyre in oz, so I put something different on. Can't recall what it is, pretty sure it's a different Dunlop. It's only done a few hundred km so far.

Are oem tyres designed to wear out super quick? Like starter cartridges in printers.