ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #16
9Dave
Bazinga!
 
9Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
For the lower 1/3 of the class in the Rio Linda high school (as Rush says),

Did you go to this site? If so do you see hundreds of lines of text?

I don't see "a" file, I see line after line after line of stuff I don't reconogize?

I would play around with "a" file if I saw "a" file.
No - I right clicked on the link, downloaded the file, changed the file type, and PRESTO.

You opened the file in a browser - and you are seeing the lines of code.
__________________


dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #17
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 533
Nice timing.

I am traveling north toward Bend from Orange County, in Reno atm. I've been thinking of heading up thru Soldier Meadows, but north of that I had no idea what would be a good route. This helps a ton, thanks for posting it.

Looks like the stretches between fuel are shorter on the northern half. I'm on a TE610. 3.2gal stocker, with a 10L MSR Dromedary Bag, and 2 1.5L Primus cans as backup for the long stretches. About 6gal total, but a pain to pack along with all the other crap, gonna be camping off the bike for a few months. I'm already carrying quite a load so I'd prefer to ditch some weight. How does the northern half compare to the southern half, scenery, riding etc?
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,186
[QUOTE=SepticSkeptic]Nice timing.

I am traveling north toward Bend from Orange County, in Reno atm. I've been thinking of heading up thru Soldier Meadows, but north of that I had no idea what would be a good route. QUOTE]

I have tracks of almost every road from Gerlach to the Oregon border if you need them. Gas was $7.50 at Soldier Meadow,
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #19
JimC
Beastly Adventurer
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
............. Gas was $7.50 at Soldier Meadow,
And you buy it with a smile on your face, because without SM being where it is and Jim and Kathy providing the services they do, very few of us would have had the opportunity to explore this incredible section of NV.

I would also take advantage of Countdown's tracks!

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #20
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
And you buy it with a smile on your face, because without SM being where it is and Jim and Kathy providing the services they do, very few of us would have had the opportunity to explore this incredible section of NV.

I would also take advantage of Countdown's tracks!

Jim in Sacramento
Call or e-mail ahead. Jim had a problem with stolen gas and keeps the tank locked. Last two times we had to wait for him to come in with the key. The meter was also broke so we had to measure gas in 1 Gal jug to my Mex2Can riders. Kathy is always fun to visit with!
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #21
dvwalker OP
Working to ride
 
dvwalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
How does the northern half compare to the southern half, scenery, riding etc?
The OR sections are really split between the western and eastern route to Bend. The western route travels thru a number of very nice national forests on less technical FS roads and 2 track. The eastern leg is much more wide open sage type areas on more technical 2 track, which can be very greasy when wet. Very simular to the NV sections.

Gas station in silver lake wasn't open when we traveled thru during the labor day holiday, do not know why (on vacation or limited hours), so worst case plan your gas distinace beween lakeview and cresent which is near 200 miles.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #22
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I have tracks of almost every road from Gerlach to the Oregon border if you need them. Gas was $7.50 at Soldier Meadow,
I'll definitely call first, but it's good to hear they actually have gas, I'd been under the assumption that I'd best not plan on it being available. Even at $7.50 it'd be well worth it. I've already made use of many of your tracks, more would be welcome though .

I was talking to my Uncle who has been visiting the area for years about the closures, he was telling me about all the nice spots up in there, including the ones that now can only be hiked to, unfortunately he knows the area so well he never bothered saving tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker
The OR sections are really split between the western and eastern route to Bend. The western route travels thru a number of very nice national forests on less technical FS roads and 2 track. The eastern leg is much more wide open sage type areas on more technical 2 track, which can be very greasy when wet. Very simular to the NV sections.

Gas station in silver lake wasn't open when we traveled thru during the labor day holiday, do not know why (on vacation or limited hours), so worst case plan your gas distinace beween lakeview and cresent which is near 200 miles.
Thanks for the info.
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #23
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,223
I've put together a tool for storing, sharing, and searching GPS files. As you can see, it also displays them in ADV. Take a look.

I finished it about 15 minutes ago and hope many people use it. The bigger the collection of files available the better it is for everyone.

This is how the file attached to this thread appears. Pretty cool I think.

Countdown, Big Dog, you guys have big collections of tracks. I'd love it if you were early adopters. Please take a look and let me know what features I can include to improve the system.

craftycoder screwed with this post 10-29-2010 at 07:51 PM
craftycoder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #24
dvwalker OP
Working to ride
 
dvwalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 757
craftycoder,

all I can say is good job , you my friend have time on your hands. Ability to quickly interact with the track via google maps without downloading the gpx is very cool. Being able to popup the waypoint label on mouseover and zoom in/out is pretty cool. Would it be easy to include the gpx lat/long in the waypoint label properties?

If you do not mind, think I'll edit my original post and replace the static route pic with your interactive map.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #25
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,223
Mind? Not at all, that is the whole point of this exercise. As for time on my hands, I'm not so sure. I've got a 9 month old baby, who I take care of during the day, so I worked on this when I could. That was from 1800 to 0200 each day for the last 5 days. Unfortunately, the boy wakes up at 0530 which means I have been getting very little sleep of late.

Please post update your post, and furthermore, add more tracks to my database. If we get a critical mass of tracks in there it will become an incredibly useful resource for this community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker
craftycoder,

all I can say is good job , you my friend have time on your hands. Ability to quickly interact with the track via google maps without downloading the gpx is very cool. Being able to popup the waypoint label on mouseover and zoom in/out is pretty cool. Would it be easy to include the gpx lat/long in the waypoint label properties?

If you do not mind, think I'll edit my original post and replace the static route pic with your interactive map.
craftycoder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
redpillar
Studly Adventurer
 
redpillar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 843
any movement towards a ride report on this bad boy?
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #27
dvwalker OP
Working to ride
 
dvwalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar
any movement towards a ride report on this bad boy?
I know, will probably wait to start a RR till winter after some of the in process TAT reports have abated
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
redpillar
Studly Adventurer
 
redpillar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 843
I am waiting in quiet anticipation...


Thanks
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #29
redpillar
Studly Adventurer
 
redpillar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 843
All I want for Christmas is a ride report!!!
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #30
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh
 
Mike Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Peachland B.C. Canada
Oddometer: 893
Me too, love that area.

Merry Christmas YFFs
__________________
Yes I am quite serious.
Mike Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014