User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
monrcar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Big circle in the Oregon High Desert

Seven guys ride three days in the High Desert's of Oregon. Great riding, great fun, great riding friends, and great people along the way. The hospitality of the folks in the sparse towns added to our enjoyment.

Here is a kid practicing his roping skills down in Paisely. We stopped in for a quick lunch and rest. Talking with his dad, said he is working hard on perfecting his skill. I think we made his day, with the interest and pics..

We tried to get Rob to ride up and down the street so he could practice his skills on a moving target

Rob across the street at the drive up coffee stand:

Here are the guys gearing up.. over the next three days we'll cover over 350 miles of varying desert condtions, from easy to nearly impossible - (as in hole in the ground - only one rider -Dale- managed to climb out the hard way).

monrcar screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 11:36 AM
monrcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
monrcar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rules...

Ok before we too far into the actual ride, need to cover the rules. Understanding these rules up front makes the ride more enjoyable for everyone!:
10 Rules for riding with Dale and Don:

#1 - It's a race.
It may seem like a ride, but ultimately with those two it's a race!

#2: Feel free to lead - See rule #1

#3: If you or your bike breaks.. you probably should not have been out here in the first place.
As Nate demonstrates below - you are responsible for your stuff. You take the risks you are capable of, and know your limits before you go. If you have an issue - you must be prepared to fix it. Nate does just that. That XR400 was hot and flooded. Out of water and tired, Nate pushes through and re-fires that pig. Desert riding is not for the weak.

#4: If you invoke rule #3... we've got your back! We'll have cold beer and whiskey waiting when you finally haul your stuff out.

more.....

monrcar screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 11:11 AM
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
monrcar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rules continued.

#5 - There are no easy trails

If it looks easy, Dale made a wrong turn and will fix it.

#6 - The difficulty will progressively increase until someone invokes rule #3

#7 - All whiskey and beer will be consumed each night to reduce backpack loading

#8 - All trails end at a liquor store - see rule #7
If you invoked rule #4, be prepared to make a trip to the store to resupply.. we've probably drank up the stock waiting on you..

#9 - You have 33.3 percent chance of being "munned" everyday
Everyone has been munned before - although most people know this by other names:
Munned = FUBAR
SNAFU
Cluster-Muck
Trainwreck
Fiasco... we just happened to have been munned by the original on past occasions...

#10 - You will get Munned every trip.
Ending all hope of finishing the ride in daylight... ha ha

monrcar screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 11:27 AM
Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
monrcar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Moving out

As you've seen, I've included some video to give a sense of the ride.
We hit the loose sand, and start our climb up into the mountains.
It's cool to see the sage brush give way to pines as the altitude increases.
We transitioned from 3500ft to over 7100ft over the next day or two.

Watering the desert.

Rolling out and up:

Rest break:

Arrived at East Lake for a short break:

Going to send a shout out here to our friends over at High Desert Adventures. We ran into Greg and gang up here. Great bunch, and we were at our fuel limit. They let us "borrow" five gallons of premium while they were inside eating lunch. We had seen their tracks for about 30 miles. - Thanks Greg!

more.......

monrcar screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 11:46 AM
Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
monrcar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

East Lake to Silver Lake

Greg's fuel in the bikes and thirst quenched we start the downhill run to Fort Rock.
Some of the best riding ever, except the dust.

Helmet cam capture of the terrain. Great scenery, but a moments inattention and something will be waiting.

Stopping into Fort Rock for a late lunch...

The silver haired lady who runs this place is the nicest, sweetest person you will find in the fair city of Fort Rock. She would give you the shirt off her back, but don't ask for garlic on your burger. Right Dale!

If you pass thru Fort Rock, and most people do... take the time to stop in and say Hi. These little waystops have the best food. I didn't take a pic of lunch but it was worth the wait and ride!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
monrcar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Silver Lake

After lunch, we roll out to Hole in the Ground. A natural formation near Fort Rock. It's deep, steep and sandy...

Almost all of us made an attempt at climbing up the steep trail. Only Dale made it. I covered that in the video up above in Dale's rules...

Man, once I stalled out once, I didn't see a need to try again. The sand was deep, and no need to break the stuff wth two more days of riding ahead.

Here is a sequence pics from my helment cam, to give you and idea. And this is not the steep section:

And that brings us to Silver Lake....
Silver Lake is AWESOME! Let's start with downtown. Downtown is less than 1/4 mile long.

The hotel is also the only store, and ...... a liquor store. And the lady was well stocked.

Waiting for Friday night in SILVER LAKE!!!

Bub/Clamato:

Notice that road out front of the hotel... Every truck driving Central Oregon runs that highway between midnight and 5AM. Most park right in front of those bikes between 3AM and 5AM..... Even more AWESOME!!!

But every Silver Lake has a silver lining. And Silver Lake has two....
1. The Cowboy Dinner Tree. (we didn't go there this time, but it's somewhere you MUST go if you make only one trip to Silver Lake)

2. Dean and Carol's little cafe. So tonight Dean and Carol's cafe it was:

We had a ton of fun there!

Now check this out... Carol (the everything cook, waitress...... all that) has a bonified 1/4 mile drag racing Mustang out front. Single seat, five point harness... the works. WHY?? Nothing out here... No tracks... So I ask Carol - Why?
She said, "Silver Lake is only 1/4 mile long. Don't need anything else!"
Can't argue that. She is a GEM of the desert. Stop in and say hi to Dean and Carol. Maybe she'll run down the street to the store for you!

And a look at the fixin's.... Thank you Carol...

Yeah that's a Guiness in the desert... who'd a thought?

And the Forest Service girls..... It was this big...
That's what she said:

Ok.. in all fairness she is referring to Dean and Carol's "DOUBLE BIG HOSS BURGER"... Dang I probably got this wrong, but basically it's;
A bun,
3 or four 1/2pound burgers.
6 fried eggs.
A slab of bacon..
All the fixin's...
Plus a full plate of fries..

If you eat it all you get you name on the wall and a T-Shirt.
Here is a local cowboy going for it!!!

Some more pics of the night:

More Forest Service girls...

The conversations continued well into the night... (Remember the trucks going by - no way to sleep anyway.)

And did I mention Dean and Carol got up at 6AM to open the cafe back up for breakfeast. Have to admire the work ethic.
Maybe someday the food channels, "Man vs Food" will stop into Silver Lake and challenge the Cowboy Dinner Tree and the Double Big Hoss burger!

A new day in Silver Lake..... time to ride.....

monrcar screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 09:49 PM
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,055
Awesome guys!!!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
monrcar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bottom of cirle

Day 2 riding we head due south via Fremont Forest enroute to Paisley.

I keep seeing this abandoned railroad on the maps, and we decide to check it out today.

A stop at Thompson Res:

Then on the railbed... It was in good shape. Maybe too good. Looks they they just pulled up the rails and let everything else sit. Very smooth, but the red rock gravel was very loose. Like riding on ice. Had to go fast, or the backend would slide all over.

The rail ended near here... the remnants of Camp Nine, and old logging camp with a natural spring.

Off the railbed we move on up to Fremont Point for a stop.

And a look at Slide Mountain...

And some riding up in the Fremont...

After lunch... we hit the hard rock desert....
Old 09-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
monrcar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

North

A look at the canyons north of Paisely..
Lot's of rocks, separated by sand or ruts.

Enough vibration to actually break off Dan's license plate. Not the plate holder, the plate itself broke in half.

Dan, near the end of the 50mile rock fest... His plate is still attached here. But you can see it vibrating. Not sure where it broke off at..

Arriving at Christmas Valley, time to relax by the duck pond. The hosts of the hotel and cafe make the stay enjoyable.

Rested and breakfast in... we make a high speed run north for home.

I look over an notice a smirk on Don's face. Knowing he's up to something I snap pic's.

Don located a large Cow pile (cow poop) and placed in Rob's backpack. Since Rob was meeting family as soon as we finished the ride - no telling how long this stayed in place.
Don looking for the cow turd:

Pretending to fix a loose zipper, he places the cow pile in the backpack:

Pointing out his handy work:

The guys up at a radio tower:

Something interesting we noticed this trip. Seems the FS is gating off access to the lookout towers. In the past we have ridden up and spoke with the fire watches. This time, the roads were closed off and gated.

Dan stopped to fix his boot - again...

And I'll close with two last video's.... This first one is a bit long, but gives a good idea of the ride conditions. And Don did not realize I was there. My KLX450 with stock pipe is so quiet you can barely hear it running. Around 6min in, I finally pull up alongside..... Classic Don... now it's a race.

And an overview with music... end of summer.... maybe time for one more big ride?

monrcar screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 01:17 PM
Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Thanks for Posting!

Great End of Summer RR! Good video, liked the music and the tip on the old railroad. Thanks again for taking us along. Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #12
StroupDog
Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer: 196

Riding in the back yard, awesome!

Mini-GiantLoop-09 RR

Jims BigAss road trip

"Living life one day at a time".
StroupDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,127
...dang...looks like you guys had a great 'venture...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
EddMc
are we there yet

Oddometer: 284
Rode through Silver lake at about 7:00AM Sat.and spotted your bikes out front of the motel and wondered if you were on here and I would get to see a report. Looks like a lot of fun and thanks for the RR.

2007 R1200GS
1997 XR400R
EddMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,045
i know that area and ive ridden that area,,, i was reading along following you in many of the same places ive been,,, silver lake and carols place, hole in the ground,,, then christmas valley and i was waiting for it,,, but, oh no !!! you guys were so close and missed crack in the rock,,, just a bit north of xmas valley. if you get out to the area again you HAVE to check it out,, too cool.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote