User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
LC4 Questions

I just purchased a 2002 LC4. I have a couple simple questions while waiting for the owner's manual to arrive. Please forgive the elementary nature of these questions as I am sure I will have more complicated issues once I start doing maintenance on the bike.
1. The bike has Karoo's. What is suggested air pressure and what type of mileage can I expect from a set?
2. I have the 18l tank and was wondering about range which leads into my next question. On the fuel selector if the arrow is pointing to ON, is the main fuel selected? The way I look at the selector it almost seems like it indicates the fuel is coming from the reserve. Since it is a used bike, I want to make sure the reserve works but don't want to ride the bike empty with the selector in the wrong position. I assume the reserve works even though the 18l is an aftermarket tank.
3. What octane fuel should I use? My VStrom likes unleaded regular.
4. Will the alternator allow the use of an electric vest?

I took it out on some rugged ranch roads yesterday with a friend who has a 950. Boy, did I make the correct decision on buying the LC4. The last time I was on these roads with my VStrom, 40-45mph was the top speed. We were running 65-70 yesterday. Of course, the Karoos on a 300 lb bike make a lot of difference. I keep Torrances on the VStrom. I had a chance to ride the 950 for the first time as well. All I can say is WOW! I want one but the VStrom and LC4 make a great package as well. My friend with the 950 is thinking about adding a smaller bike to his stable as well.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Having my own 2002 LC4 I can answer a few questons, but mine came with an 18 liter tank. My bike gets 45mpg on the dirt roads around here, but on a trip to the Mojave last month I only averaged 38 through desert. We were riding high speeds most of the time. On the road I often get 50+ mpg at 65 mph.

My bike came with Karoo's and I found them to be the single worst wear tires in my 35 years of riding. They were OK new on dirt roads, but terrible in mud. THey lasted about 1700 miles on the rear. Some tire suggestions are Dunlop 606 knobs if you want DOT knobbies. They last about 3k on a friends KLR, but I'm sure they would not do so well on my bike since it spins the tire so freely. Another friend runs Kings 50/50 tires on his Suzuki 650 and gets about 3K miles from them so I bought them. They lasted about 2K on my KTM, although I think they are very good combo tires. They also chunk a little bit which makes most of those that have tried them mad, but I don't care as long as I have traction. I have used Kings DOT knobbies which lasted 3K on my KTM but they also chunked. My next set of tires will either be Kings DOT knobbies or Dunlop 606 knobbies. On my wifes bike I put Kenda 270's and they offer great off road traction on the rear and acceptable traction on the front since she doesn't power slide corners she won't need the additional traction of side knobbies. THey are not lasting reall good on road and I expect only 2.5K max on her bike which is ridden softly. Her next set will be Kings 50/50 tires since they last so long and are good on dirt, even fair in mud. I had a 95 400 that came with Pirelli M82 ( I think) and the front tire would let go when I was in a tight sirt turn sometimes, so I didn't buy them again, although they lasted a long time also.

My fuel valve is off when the arrow faces off etc.

I slide my forks up into the tripple clamps since these bikes don't turn like a 450 or 525. This helped a lot for single track but made for a slippery ride out in the Mohave sand washes. I also softened the rear sag a bit to lower the rear because I like to place a foot on the ground during off camber trailing, even though I'm 6' 1".

You need to use premium fuel and I carry octane booster when I know there may not be premium. I don't know what to expect from your electrics.

I have a KTM hard parts skid plate, but I just ordered an after market plate since the stock one is so beat up. It still retains its shape but seems too maleable for a skid plate, although it looks real good with the laser cut "KTM" in it.

If you change your front sprocket to a 15 you can do most single track and still do 75 on the freeway if you can bear the vibrations.
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
I think these all use the same petcocks:

+ All the way CCW (arrow pointed down): ON
+ All the way CW (arrow pointed up): RESERVE
+ Halfway between (arrow horizontal): OFF

Like all highly tuned singles, you want to feed it the highest octane you can find. Don't be alarmed when the owner's manual arrives and starts talking about 95+ octane requirements - that's on a different system than the US uses. In stock trim, premium should be fine. A half-tank of regular when you can't find premium is probably going to be Okay now and then, but carrying octane booster is a nice insurance policy if you anticipate being back in the boonies for an extended period where the only available gas is regular. Of course, if it starts pinging, use more revs and less throttle and/or back off.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer: 350
This is interesting info for me, I am selling my beloved 950 and now riding an LC4, but "only" the 400. I am about to fit the 18L tank too. Running on trailwings, but mostly for road. Am not finding the vibes as bad as I've heard though. Thanks, Jem
mrjemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer: 350
What's your standard octane in the states? I think it's 95 normal here, which is what I have been using, and seems ok, but only been a week so far, and one fill was 97 when I went into a place that's regular pump was not working.
mrjemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
Jasper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
The KTM 625SXC has a low octane fuel setting for the ignition spark advance map, that can be configured when low fuel quality can be anticipated. It may be that other models have this same ignition, too.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #7
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
In the US, 91-92 pump octane is standard for premium, 86-87 for regular. Pump octane is the average of motor and research octane (RON) - that's why you see the symbol (R+M)/2 on the pump. I've heard that RON, as used in Europe, is abut 5 points higher than US pump octane, so our 91 is equivalent to about 95-96 in Europe.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote