Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #31
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb
...... the bloke hasn't even bought the hardware to mount it!
Yes I know.... but I have the bolts now, Coventry Fasteners in Artarmon, never knew they were there.

I don't have a drill/drill press so tmw morning the one at work will be used and then photos will be posted.

I also bought a reasonable size sheet of Scotchcal from http://www.ozicozi.com.au/surfacetec...age=contact-us instead of a plexiglass headlight shield because the plexi would result in lost light ( which I don't have enough of already ) and because it is strong and should save the headlight http://www.ozicozi.com.au/surfacetec...page=film-data.

Anyway, more to come......

Tony
Old 09-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #32
Maggot1300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
PM sent mate

Sydney Rider, glad it all works well mate, probably a bit over engineered but without having the lights in front of me i figured it was better to err on the side of caution than make it too weak (that one can nearly support my weight 100kgs...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC
Maggs,

Are you interested in other small jobs (not freabies)?

If so, I have a need for 2 identical brackets to mount a fuel tank I've just ordered. Specs are at:

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/arti...large-tank.php

and scroll to bottom of frame. I will also be fitting the tank to a DRZ250 as in the url.

If you're interested could you pm me.

Thanks,

BruceC
Maggot1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #33
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Howdy,

It never rains and then it pours.....

I have the bracket mounted and the lamps attached with photos in my phone but the usb cable for my phone is not working so as soon as I get home I will grab my spare cable and upload the pictures ( and then look at buying a phone that doesn't have a proprietary external cable ).

Tony
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #34
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot1300
Sydney Rider, glad it all works well mate, probably a bit over engineered but without having the lights in front of me i figured it was better to err on the side of caution than make it too weak (that one can nearly support my weight 100kgs...)
Maggot1300,

Just to let you know how over-engineered it is - the holes were perfectly positioned and so the bolts just slid in, the bracket looks perfectly square and best of all it supports the lamps perfectly. The lamps are mounted in the furthest corner of the bracket ( you will see it in the photos tonight ) and there is no flexing when the lamps are pushed down by hand.

I tested the bracket with a lot of weight and of course it doesn't even move.

What can I say, a damned fine piece of engineering and one which should have a 'Built by Maggot1300' sticker on it.

Tony
Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #35
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Now you can see the result.

Howdy,

Here, finally, are the photos.

The front view;

The side view;

The side from underneath;

The 'Euro' is on the gutter side of the bike so that it throws across the front of the bike and up to the left and the spot is on the right.... this worked really well on the F800GS and will work equally well here I am sure. The plate misses the IMS tank so that is not an issue, and I simply needed to bend out the metal support for the brake line ( but this could come back in now I think ).

I don't think that the plate will reflect light in any way and it is high enough that it will project over the fender bag so everything looks like it will just work.

The lamps will be wired tonight, and then aimed, but right now I am a very happy ( Sydney ) rider and I want to thank, again, Maggot1300 for his efforts.

Tony
Old 09-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #36
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
That's an awesome idea.

I don't NEED spotties, but by god i'm considering trying to figure out the dimensions for a plate and spotties on my RF900.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #37
BruceC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Re enquiry re other small jobs

Quote:
PM sent mate
Matt,

Did you get my response to your pm?? I dunno whether its got lost in the ether or not. If it did, then, yes I would like you to make up the brackets as per the url posted earlier. If you could supply some of the foam then that would also be fantastic.

PM the cost and your details and I will get money to you.

However, if job is either too small or just a PITB then let me know.

Thanks for the help,

Bruce.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #38
Maggot1300
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC
Matt,

Did you get my response to your pm?? I dunno whether its got lost in the ether or not. If it did, then, yes I would like you to make up the brackets as per the url posted earlier. If you could supply some of the foam then that would also be fantastic.
Hey mate, sorry bout the late response, I've been swamped with work the last few days (got to work at 8 this morning and i'm still here... ) I'll get them sorted asap and dig up some foam rubber that will suit the tank.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #39
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

An update on my bracket

Howdy all,

I took myself off for 800klms of riding ( 400klms of great dirt/mud ) last weekend and even though I blew out a fork seal the bracket didn't move a mm.

And I was really pleased that I had it because I did actually need/use the driving lights so this was very good.

Tony
Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #40
Maggot1300
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad to hear it's working ok mate
Old 09-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #41
BruceC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Wink

Quote:
Hey mate, sorry bout the late response, I've been swamped with work the last few days (got to work at 8 this morning and i'm still here... ) I'll get them sorted asap and dig up some foam rubber that will suit the tank.
Thanks. As long as I know something is happening I'm OK. Doesn't really matter if its not immediate . I just wasn't sure whether you got my PM. I was working from my own experience - I often don't login so don't see PMs.

Thanks,

Bruce.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #42
hahnelw
Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer: 584
Maggot1300 you are a legend. Hope karma treats you well coz you deserve it!

Cheers

WH
Mile marker 203 The gas gauge leanin on the edge of E and I'll be damned if the rain ain't pourin down Theres somethin smokin underneath the hood Its a bangin and a clangin and it cant be good And its another 50 miles to the nearest town
hahnelw is offline   Reply With Quote