User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Awesome read!

The intro gave me goosebumps....(huge Opeth fan right here!!!)
Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,965
The town of Young, "Pleasant Valley", and the Mogollon Rim come into view. I'll spend a little time in Rim Country over the next couple days.

From Wikipedia

The Mogollon Rim is a topographical and geological feature running across the State of Arizona. It extends approximately 200 miles (320 km) from northern Yavapai County eastward to near the border with New Mexico.[1]

The Rim is an escarpment defining the southwestern edge of the Colorado Plateau, and along its central and most spectacular portions is characterized by high limestone and sandstone cliffs, namely the Kaibab Limestone and Coconino Sandstone. It was formed by erosion and faulting, and dramatic canyons have been cut into it, including Fossil Creek Canyon and Pine Canyon. The name Mogollon comes from Don Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollón, the Spanish Governor of New Mexico from 1712 to 1715.
Much of the land south of the Mogollon Rim lies 4000 to 5000 feet (1,200 to 1,500 meters) above sea level, with the escarpment rising to about 7,000 ft (2,100 m). Extensive Ponderosa Pine forests are found both on the slopes of the Rim and on the Arizona Plateau north of it. The Mogollon Rim is a major floristic and faunal boundary, with species characteristic of the Rocky Mountains living on the top of the plateau, and species native to the MexicanSierra Madre Occidental on the slopes below and in the Madrean sky islands (high, isolated mountain ranges) further south.
The Mogollon Rim's limestones and sandstones were formed from sediments deposited in the Carboniferous and Permian Periods. Several of the Rim's rock formations are also seen on the walls of the Grand Canyon. In many places, the Rim is capped or even buried by the extensive basalticlava flows.
The uppermost sandstone stratum of the Mogollon Rim, called the Coconino Sandstone, forms spectacular white cliffs, sometimes several hundred feet high. This formation of the Permian Period is of aeolian (windblown) origin, and is one of the thickest sand-dune-derived sandstones on earth.
Cities and towns near the Mogollon Rim include Payson, Sedona, Show Low, and Alpine, Arizona. The Mogollon Rim is practically bisected by Interstate 17 which runs north-to-south between Flagstaff and Phoenix. The eastern portion of the Mogollon Rim was the site of Arizona's largest-known wildfire, during June 2002, the 470,000 acre (1,900 km˛) Rodeo-Chediski fire. The Mogollon Rim was also the site of the "Dude Fire" that started on June 25, 1990. This fire grew to cover over 30,000 acres (120 km2), and it killed six wildland firemen. Other large fires have burned along the Mogollon Rim since 1990, and the area's ponderosa pine forests remain vulnerable because of past fire-suppression efforts and the buildup of available dry fuel.
The western novel author, Zane Grey, lived just south of the Mogollon Rim, residing in a cabin just northeast of Payson, near the hamlet of "Christopher Creek". This cabin was restored by the Phoenix, Ariz., air-conditioning magnate William Goettl during the late 1960's, but it was destroyed by the Dude Fire in 1990.[2] Grey's book Riders of the Purple Sage and several other of his widely read novels, were either set in this general area of the Old West, or inspired by it. The novel-writer Louis L'Amour's novel The Sackett Brand was also set in the area of the Mogollon Rim, with the cliffs of the Rim being specifically described.
If one stands at certain points on the Mogollon Rim (Milk Ranch Point near Strawberry, Arizona, is one example) at sunset, there is a grand view on clear days for about 50 miles (80 km) in three directions, south, west, and east. Some or all of the sweeping landscape may well appear to be a purple hue as the sunlight fades.

This sign made me interested to learn about the Pleasant Valley War. The Wikipedia article about the war is here. Wow! They literally fought to the last man. "Of all the feuds that have taken place throughout American history, the Pleasant Valley War was the most costly, resulting in an almost complete annihilation of the two families involved."

If you like tales of murder trials, masked men murders, and hired assassins, you'll enjoy this bit of history. Pleasant Valley wasn't very pleasant for a long time.

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 02:16 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

I roll through "town" keeping a wary eye out for masked murderers.

There is about 10 miles of paved highway running through and north of town. There are no paved roads leading to this modern paved super highway though.

I stop in the forest and have tuna and crackers for lunch.

By time I reach the US 260 I'm in bad need of fuel. I head into Heber to fill up.

I want to ride the eastern section of the Rim Road FS300 today. I head south in Phoenix Park Wash to reach it.

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 02:16 PM
Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett the nerd
Awesome read!

The intro gave me goosebumps....(huge Opeth fan right here!!!)

Me too Garrett. Nice avatar. I guess you know Opeth's new concert DVD will be released in the US this Tuesday.

Thanks for coming along PacificPT.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 2 Still

36 miles to US 60 and Show Low, AZ

The Rim Road was fun with constantly changing road surfaces.

There were long rutted sections like this. I was glad there was no chance of rain today.

The road to Deer Springs Lookout was closed. I was disappointed there were no good views off the rim from the road.

The last 8 miles or so were interesting with these Lava Marbles.

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 08:54 PM
Old 09-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,377
Nice photos! Many have very rich color.

Very scenic area to ride in. Thanks for showing us more about it.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Forests to Grasslands

I finish up the rim road and head into Show Low.

I wasn't planning to stop for food, but I did a quick u-turn when I spotted a Subway Sandwich Stop. I'm tired, hot, hungry, and a little beat up from the long day. I park in front of the Subway and was taking my time getting ready to go inside. Suddenly I notice a school bus out in the parking lot and twenty or so high school girls wearing soccer uniforms sprinting towards the door of the restaurant. I tried not to make it too obvious as I made sure to beat them to the front of the line. Whew! That was close.

After lunch I ponder my next move. There is plenty of daylight left. I decide to visit a nearby National Park that I've never been to before.

Heading north from the rim the trees quickly disappear.

Boredom on a long highway always leads to experimentation.

Out here in the grasslands of Northern Arizona are some GIANT TREES!

Petrified Trees
WTF?! They close the National Park before sunset? The toll collector advised me you don't have to be out of the park at 6, but must be on the bike heading for an exit. Tyranny!

I stop at a visitor center to take a short walk.

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 08:55 PM
Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #23
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Laugh Hard Wood

The museum at the visitor center had a few dinosaur fossils on display. I made sure to get some pics for my kids.

This petrified tree looks to be mainly comprised of KTM Koolaid.

Back on the bike I head north through the park to check out the Painted Desert.

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 08:55 PM
Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #24
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378

Yeah! Another Dave6253 ride report!
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

The End of Day 2

I wasn't all that impressed with the Painted Desert. Maybe it would be nicer with a great sunset?

As the shadows lengthen...

I jump on the I-40 to make it over to Holbrook.

Into the Blinding Sun

Then head down the 377 towards Heber. I need to find a place to set up camp.

I'm still running hard at sunset.

I spot a wind farm to the left.

The color in the sky was created by the smoke from a nearby controlled forest fire.

I pulled off the highway to look for a place to camp as soon as I entered the National Forest. A short distance down the dead-end road were some private "ranches" with mobile homes. A big dog chased me out of there. Oh well. Let's just head into town to fill up with water and fuel. I can find primative camping near the rim, right?

I get off the US 260 at FS300, the Rim Road, near Woods Canyon Lake. After a short ride down the gravel I found a campground I had stayed at before. I decided to roll through to check things out. It's crowded, but there were a couple spots left and more cars arriving. It's friday night. This area is popular because of the nearby fishing lakes. I didn't want to pay $14 for a campground so I left. I can find a place further down the road, right?

It was dark and the dusty road was very busy. With no breeze the dust hung in the air and visiblity was extremely poor. I kept hitting deep piles of gravel and getting squirrelly. The area was posted with camping restricted to the campgrounds. I wasn't sure how far I would have to travel in these dangerous conditions before finding a free spot. After a mile of this shit I tucked my tail between my legs and returned to snag the last $14 spot.

It's gonna be chilly tonight at that altitude.

Day 2 Map
I'll point out here that I've ridden 427 miles so far just to camp 2 hours from home.
What kind of idiot routes a trip like this? It's not an out and back. It's not a loop. I'll just call it a lasso.

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 08:57 PM
Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #26
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
I grew up with strict and over-protective parents. They would have never let me own a motorcycle. I wasn't even allowed to ride my friends dirt bikes. I rode my cousins minibike only a handful of times without their knowledge. I knew from that point I wanted a motorbike. I spent alot of time on my bicycle daydreaming about it. Being deprived of something you want only makes you want it more, right?
You sound a lot like me: Deprived of motorcycles as a kid, got my first bike at 22 and I've been overcompensating ever since, first on the street, then on the dirt. I think that some day scientists will discover a gene that makes some of us motorcycle addicts.
You've got some great scenery and riding out there. Arizona is on my long (way to long) list of places I need to ride. All my previous rides in Arizona where strictly pavement.

Love your pics Great ride report Looking forward to more.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #27
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

On the Mogollon Rim

Day 3, Saturday, September 11, 2010

I hate crowded campgrounds. There was no way I could sleep until well past midnight so I just layed in the tent reading and wondering how most people can be so inconsiderate. Car Doors Slamming! Babies Crying! Generators Running! Kids Yelling! Car Alarms! Wood Chopping! Motors Revving! Adults Laughing! It was the noisiest campground ever! I finally went to sleep around 1 AM. The noise (All of it!) began again at 5AM.
I would have rathered camped in NYC.

It was cold last night. I crawled out of the tent well after sunrise. The temp guage on the bike said it was 45. The campground host told me it got down to 41. Brrrr!

I head east on FS 300. This is the dusty road I couldn't see on last night. The gravel didn't seem so bad in the daylight since I could see and avoid the deepest.

After about 10 miles the camping restictions ended and I found a perfect spot. I regret not trying to make it further last night. This spot is tucked a couple hundred feet off the road.

There's a fire ring, plenty of wood nearby, and great views off the rim.

The Rim Road is spectacular over here!

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 01:57 PM
Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #28
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Very nice, Dave. Sounds very similar to the reason I sold my last V-Twin cruiser- tired of all the asphalt. So much to see and ride right in AZ!!
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #29
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Mogollon Rim

There is no shortage of scenic vistas on this twisty road.

This is a very dangerous road. Only because the scenery captures your attention.

I met Scott and Josh from Phoenix loading their bikes, a BMW 650, and KLR 650. They had camped here together last night. I was jealous. I've gotta start getting to camp before dark.

I finish up the Rim Road and run down the Rim on the twisty 87.

I jump off the highway in Strawberry for another new to me dirt road.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Thanks for joining in NDTransplant and Klaviator! I liked your last RR Klaviator.