Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #61
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Awwww... Now you guys are just making me blush.

One year ago I wouldn't have understood anything I just said in post 54. In fact last fall I took a long ride into some of the most scenic spots in Southern Utah intentionally going for the most photogenic spots. I had just purchased my very first DSLR and thought I had figured out how to use it. I was so excited. However; when I returned home I was so disappointed with the photos I decided not to complete a Ride Report. I've worked hard since then to improve.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #62
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
enjoying your report thoroughly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
I process the photos with Adobe Lightroom. I tend to over-saturate the colors and push the blacks. This is probably due to the fact I wear dark sunglasses in addition to a tinted faceshield and that's just how I saw it.
i also do the same thing you do with the colors... it's the dark glasses & dark visor that we wear that ruins the eyesight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Holy Crap! I've never even seen half that stuff in Lightroom!
i'd have agree with what LittleWan said about the lightroom history panel... i've never seen half of those options.

dave - been following your report for a few days now, didn't feel the need to interrupt the flow... but you've got a great thing going for these report, huh? you've got a great flow in your storytelling and photos.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #63
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Jerome - Mingus Mountain - Prescott

Perkinsville Road was a blast running up the hill to Jerome.

It's a narrow shelf road much of the way, but very easy.

I got behind an ATV that wouldn't pull over. She was running about 20 mph. I finally squeezed past on a narrow section with very little room to spare. I stopped later to speak to a KLX rider who was waiting for her. He said they had ridden to Williams where they spent the night.

There is quite a bit of smoke in the Verde Valley.

Approaching Jerome

Jerome, AZ was an old mining town hanging onto the steep side of Mingus Mountain. It is now a tourist and biker destination. It was Sunday, so the streets were busy and motorcycles were lined up in front of the saloons.

I don't stop in town. I head uphill.

It's warming up so I stop to remove liners and grab a few pics. Poser!

A Nice Stretch of Asphalt

The view looking down into the Verde Valley towards Clarkdale, Cottonwood, and Sedona. It's too smoky today to see the red rocks on the other side.

Over Mingus Mountain

Into Prescott Valley

Through the Granite Dells

and Into Downtown Prescott. The town square was very crowded. There were long lines of people waiting to see something?

I stopped for fuel and a burger and planned my next move.

I must return home today. It's sure to be hot today in the desert. I could just take highway 69 over to Interstate 17, but that really sucks. On Sunday afternoon it's not even guaranteed to be the quickest. The second option would be to take the Senator's Highway into Crown King. I just did that route two weeks ago two-up with the wife. It would be rough, slow, dusty, and hot. I would also still need to ride a healthy dose of I-17 to get home. Also that trail would likely be choked with Jeeps and ATVs.

I opted instead for two sections of the best asphalt twisties in Arizona...
Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #64
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Perhaps the screenshot of the Lightroom History for the Milky Way shot made it sound overly complicated. Here is a screenshot with most of the adjustments visible. There are some minor adjustments to the HSL Blue Luminance and Saturation not visible here. These are not my typical settings at all and only apply to this specific shot.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #65
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Almost forgot. I also added a Graduated Nuetral Density Filter to increase/lighten the exposure on the upper 2/3s.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #66
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

All Good Things Come to an End

These doggies look longingly at me as I pass. I can hear them thinking...

"I wanna ride"!

The best asphalt twisties in the State of Arizona are the 14 miles between Prescott and Wilhoit.

The big KTM is a blast and the TKCs stick just fine.

Across Peeples Valley

...and Down Yarnell Hill.

Yarnell Hill is another awesome set of curves. The four mile stretch is especially good on the uphill side. These curves have a much different character than the Prescott to Wilhoit curves. These curves are flat, while the Prescott to Wilhoit curves are perfectly banked. Both are FUN multiplied.

Looking Towards Wickenburg from Yarnell Hill

Back into the Sonoran Desert...

The sun beats down.

I'm cruising across the desert around 2PM when i notice the temp has jumped 70 degrees since this morning!

I pull into my long driveway and decide to announce my triumphant return home by spinning up the rear tire for about 150 feet. I pass the house with the engine roaring and gravel and sand flying. That put a grin on my face!

I think I can squeeze another trip out of this.

Day 4 Stats

I'm laying on the couch watching football by time I notice the best sunset of the last four days. I settle for this shot from my backyard. Can you imagine this sunset over Four Peaks... or off the Mogollon Rim? I guess I'll have to try again...

Day 4 Map

Thanks for joining in! That's all I've got until the wife lets me out of the house for the next one....
Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #67
Gila Monster
Carnivore

Oddometer: 117
Great report Dave. I just read the whole thing in one sitting. I'm an AZ native and have been all over the roads you traveled but they never looked as good as in your photos and with that orange bike.

I haven't been on ADVrider in a few years but just started lurking again a few days ago because I'm thinking about getting another ADV bike. Your report probably just cost me about 10 grand. I'm shopping for a 950-990 now. Thanks...I think.
Gila Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #68
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,424
Nice pics.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #69
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
That put a grin on my face!

Nice one my friend!!

I can't wait for the next one from you.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:59 AM   #70
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Question why can't we subscribe to *people*?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Nice one my friend!!
I can't wait for the next one from you.
you know... i was thinking of that earlier today while reading the ride report art thread. there are bunch of people who do ride reports all the time (like you two, as well as many others) whom i always enjoy reading. when a report is being written, i'll subscribe... and read along... but many times i miss the start of a new report by some of my "favorite people" because of random reasons.

it's be nice if you could "subscribe" to a user, and get notified when they start new threads.... or even better, when they start new threads in a particular forum (ie: ride reports). that'd be cool!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #71
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,653
Thumb

Great pictures and RR, thanks for the lightroom lesson.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #72
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,889
Very nice report & pics, Dave. rim road, schnebly, perkinsville, fossil springs.. i do those every year.. but usually on day rides for each one!

The 'old perkinsville road' is the one that has the rocky, nasty steep terrain.

Great spots for a solo ride loop... maybe add grand canyon in next time!

Too many rides, not enough time...
scotty

ps.. i also liked your sudden outbursts of poetic tourette's syndrome
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote