User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #361
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Thumb

Just put the seat through the ringer on my KTM.

Four thousand miles in twelve days. This ride took me through the Ohio River Valley flooding and all that fun stuff.

My first day was 675 miles and there were 3, 4, and 5 hundred + mile days. Most of the riding was pavement, with some forest roads around Tellico Plains one day. Rode mostly two lane back roads, picked up the southern half of the Natchez trace, The Dragon, Cherhala Skyway, 170 miles of the BRP, and only hit the super slab when it was absolutely necessary due to being short of daylight or to avoid flooded roads. Covered fifteen states and crossed the Ohio nine times.

Overall this is a very comfortable seat. I would get two "hot spots" under my sit bones after three or so hours in the saddle, and stopping for gas and stretching my legs was all it took to be comfortable again for another hour or two.

I've had seats on bikes that would turn my butt into hamburger in a few hundred miles. This seat is not one of them. The foam is the perfect density to spread the love.

My one gripe is the step-down. For me it is just in the exactly wrong place. I was constantly wanting to sit an inch back and that's where the step is. I'd prefer to have the seat be filled in up front to the height of the step at the rear. Or, at least be a slight downward slope if necessary to accommodate riders who aren't 6'2" tall.

This one change might address the long duration hot spots to some extent as I could then easily shift my position while riding, rather than being locked into the area from the step forward. Trying to sit on the step focused pressure on a smaller area and tended to amplify the ache rather than relieve it.

To be clear, those who ride long days know that this particular pain is not unusual to have without stopping every hour or so and walking around to get the blood flowing. I tend to press on. Four of my days on this trip were twelve hours in the saddle.

I would recommend this seat kit to anyone looking for a more comfortable platform for long hours of riding. For reference, it replaced the Corbin the bike had when I bought it.

Thanks guys for making a great seat. I'd be happy to test a step-less version if you ever were to build one.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #362
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,658
Bet if you email or call they'll fix one up for you....
They set me up with a low version for my WRR after a simple email reguest.

Sarah
Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #363
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Bet if you email or call they'll fix one up for you....
They set me up with a low version for my WRR after a simple email reguest.

Sarah
I had inquired prior to purchase and was unable to get it that way at the time. I forget the specifics, but decided then to take the stock replacement and see how it would do.

It's probably easier to take away foam from an existing seat than it is to create a new mold for a different shape.

95% of the time it is fine the way it is, so I'm not gonna fuss too much about it.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #364
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
you'll love it , or at least your bum will
Can't say enough good things about you guys and you products. Ordered my XR650R seat on Weds Night, received it on Monday, complete with the Firm Foam and Red Stitching I asked for. Only about 100 miles on it so far, but what a difference.. Thanks again fellas!
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #365
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,934
Thumb

I returned the loner and got my seat last week. Black textured finish with orange stitching. Looks amazing. And I don't why but this one feels a lot more comfortable. I'll post the pics one of these days.
Thanks Lendon and Robert.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #366
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Seat Concepts on a 2004 R1150GS

Does that look comfortable or what?
Attached Images

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV

Dan Diego screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 09:54 AM
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #367
fattires
Wandering aimlessly...

Oddometer: 317
Been putting a few miles on my Seat Concepts KLR650 seat and have a few thoughts.
It seems a bit taller than stock, i figure its because of the increased width and the foam doesn't compress as much. no biggie.
The firm is really firm! I got firm and I am starting to wonder if I should have went with the regular or if it will break in with more use. So far only about 800 miles on the seat.
Other than that I am pleased. The seat compares pretty favorably to the Sargent I used to have at about half the cost
Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #368
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
1150 GS Adventure

Have you thought about the 1150 GS Adv seat? There is always talk on the forum about replacing the stocker. And yes you can use mine to experiment with.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH

SJSharkfan screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 06:43 PM
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #369
mxbundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Which one would be in most demand?

Bundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
What about a 1150 Adventure seat? I can send you a spare, both regular and low( only one at a time) to prototype.

Thanks,
Dave

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #370
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
1150 GSA seat

I would think the stock hieght would be the most popular. The lower version uses the same pan with different foam and cover.

Dave

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #371
DucNaked
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Monster seat

Any interest in doing a seat for the new Ducati Monsters?
All the current models of the monster share the same seat.
I've got a spare stock one.
DucNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #372
angrywhiteguy
i wanna ride!

Oddometer: 154
F 800 gs

Im still waiting for taller flat seat for my bike....i know youd sell these things
angrywhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #373
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
Have you thought about the 1150 GS Adv seat? There is always talk on the forum about replacing the stocker. And yes you can use mine to experiment with.
I've got an extra one down here in SoCal too if you're in the mood to make one.

You're just up the road from me in San Diego!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #374
b3h
ol dog on a stray

Oddometer: 181
Cry Need some advice

Finally gettin around to installing my foam and seat but having problems with stapler. Picked up an electric stapler from HF figuring it should do the job but it wont even penetrate the plastic pan. Tried my hand stapler with the same results. So I'm askin for specific advise on what kind of stapler using what kind of power ie: electric, air or BFH? I tried 3/8 and 1/4 in staples in both the electric and hand stapler. TIA
b3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #375
dually
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
stapler

I just used a small cheapo from Home Depot with 1/4" staples. You really need to press down hard, but the plastic is pretty soft from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3h View Post
Finally gettin around to installing my foam and seat but having problems with stapler. Picked up an electric stapler from HF figuring it should do the job but it wont even penetrate the plastic pan. Tried my hand stapler with the same results. So I'm askin for specific advise on what kind of stapler using what kind of power ie: electric, air or BFH? I tried 3/8 and 1/4 in staples in both the electric and hand stapler. TIA
dually is offline   Reply With Quote