User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #91
Flueger
Wandering

Oddometer: 117
SE Seat

Would have to agree with DB, taller, wider in seating area and I would add flatter across the top.

As for seated riding position, getting to the trails I am not really in the low part of the crescent but more to the rear, helps stretch out the arms and keep the elbows up for the corners.

Again with DB, the 690 seat looks like a good starting point.

F
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #92
gymer99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Question pre 08 KLR

I haven't found anything on pre-08 KLR seats, are they available? is that by chance the one your working on that is lowered?
Thanks
Jim R
gymer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #93
mxbundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymer99
I haven't found anything on pre-08 KLR seats, are they available? is that by chance the one your working on that is lowered?
Thanks
Jim R
Our seat kit fits the KLR from 1987 to present.
The lowered version will fit the same year models, it is a couple of weeks out.
Thanks
Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #94
Potosi Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
How is the XT225 seat coming along? How about a dual platform KLR650 seat like the one from Corbin? Thanks Joe
Potosi Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #95
mxbundy OP
Studly Adventurer

XT225 Seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi Joe
How is the XT225 seat coming along? How about a dual platform KLR650 seat like the one from Corbin? Thanks Joe
Sorry Joe,

Been very busy with work and life!
But the XT225 seat is done!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #96
Swampy
Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer: 707
KTM 690 Enduro

Now I know we ALL know about stock KTM seats. Well, some of us know because we've been riding orange since it was red and white! But that's another tale for another day....

Being that I can see a ways back in time and have placed my fat ass on many a KTM seat... I can say with all honesty that I think the folks at KTM actually locked some guy in the basement and offered him a huge bonus if he could design the most obnoxiously uncomfortable and painful seat evr, all while staying within the artful lines of the bike.

I can surmise that somewhere in Austria is one sick man with a big bank account!

Because as you know, the 690 Enduro seat absolutely sux!

Now lets' get on with it...

There are currently 3 contenders for your dollars ( or whatever currency you have), and I'm sure you're aware of 2 of them...

Renazco and Corbin.

And there's a new player in the game: SeatConcepts

So you now have 3 choices on where to obtain your rump-comfort-enhancement platform!

Renazco: I'm not going here since his work is well known here on ADV and some folks seem to relish him as a seating god. Blessed is the man who has so much business there's a 4 month backlog for his product!

In order to get a seat from him, you must ship off your stocker, wait a few weeks, and you get your seat in return. Seats are fully customizable and run about $350. We won't be testing his seat here since it's been pretty well documented throughout this forum.

Corbin: makes their seats on their own seat pan, but the 690 seat is a special order so this once again takes a few weeks. With corbin you can customize your seat as well, and it'll set you back about $375.

SeatConcepts: They've been making seats for atv's and vintage cycles for a while and are just branching out into the dual sport market. They use your seat pan, you can customize the seat to your needs or go standard, and it'll set you back $170. That's not a typo. $170.

Let's get on with our little test...

I had the opportunity to fully test both the Corbin and the SeatConcepts seats on my 690 over long distances and varied terrains and here's what I found...

Corbin: I'm a fan. Had Corbins on both my KLRs and have one on my BMW K12GT. Great quality and last. Requires break-in time to form to your butt, but spreads out the contact surface and pressure points to allow you to ride farther before you start getting uncomfortable.

On the 690 however... at it's widest point the seat is 8 inches across and flat, which is better than the stocker. You can move around freely forward and backwards and side-to-side. It will double the time it takes for soeness to settle in... for me, that translated to about 130 miles before I became uncomfortable. A HUGE improvement over the stocker...

SeatConcepts: I'm a believer. The new guys on the block have got their act together. The seat is wider than stock and wider than the Corbin allowing for an even better seating position. There's just enough foam without making it too-tall ( I'm 6'2) but wide enough to make it a bit difficult to swing a leg over! It also slowly tapers towards the front until it narrows going up the airbox. Even standing it doesn't get in the way. I get sore on the stock seat in about 70 miles. The Corbin extended my range to about 150. I just got back from two days of riding over 300 miles or roads and trails in the mountains of Alabama and I'm still waiting to get uncomfortable let alone sore!

Let me show you some pictures...

Here's the Corbin and the SeatConcepts side by side. Notice the difference in widths...

Corbin on the bike...SeatConcepts on the bike...

Notice the overhang on the side... the seat is wider..

Notice how the Corbin follows the lines of the bike more closely...

Corbin...

SeatConcepts...

...and one closing arguement... the room the SeatConcepts gives you around the filler cap...

Now I can't say good or bad about about a Renazco. Never had one.

I can say good things about Corbin products: Comfortable and built to last without fading ripping or tearing. At least that's been my experience... If you wanna look at the seat go to their site, and it's listed under the 690 SMC...

SeatConcepts? They're new, I don't know about longevity of the product but I'll be finding out since I plan to keep that seat on my bike for a long time. It's comfortable, roomy and about half the price of the other two!

I let my buddy Terry Brown borrow the seat up in Alabama for a little while. Here's what he said when he brought it back: "My ass is happy"

So, all that being said, you need a seat for the 690. I'm not gonna tell you what one to buy or why, I'm just givin you my insight from three months of riding with two different seats over a variety of terrains and temperatures....

Pasco County Cemetery Tour

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #97
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 747
hey Swampy, do you have a pic of the seatconcepts on the 690 straight on from one side or the other? I'm trying to get an idea of the dip in the center from front to rear (a pic with a straight edge from tip to tip with a tape measure showing the vertical gap would be ideal )
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #98
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,756
Hey MX,

How's that SE seat coming along, inquiring minds need to know
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #99
Swampy
Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer: 707
J, there's hardly any dip....

I'm 6'2" and it does me fine...

Pasco County Cemetery Tour

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #100
mxbundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Dan,
She is at the mold shop. Should have it back soon!

Bundy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Hey MX,

How's that SE seat coming along, inquiring minds need to know

Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #101
mxbundy OP
Studly Adventurer

New Seat! Te-630

Hey guys,
Just finished a new model.......TE-630 Husky!
Off to the upholstery shop!

Bundy

Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #102
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy
Dan,
She is at the mold shop. Should have it back soon!

Bundy
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #103
Clayburn
Benjamun

Oddometer: 49
seatconcepts.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Just received a seat (seat concept) for my Honda XR650L, foam and cover look great. Huge improvement over stock. Anyone need a Russell Day Long for a XR6560L?
Clayburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #104
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
would you be interested in making a dr350 seat? I have one that I could send out if needed.

Thanks

Ill shoot you an email too
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #105
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,028
...sooo looking forward to this....

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote