User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Visiting Family in Utah

Every year we make a point to go visit family in Mapleton Utah. Uncle Clyde is 93 and Aunt Evelyn is 86. We never know if this year will be the last. It is always a blast to go and visit. It is fun to visit and Utah never disappoints for beautiful places to ride.

Clyde RV park is about as good as it gets. There is everything that is needed to hook up the trailer and to stay as long as we want.
After setting up and spending some time when find a day to go for a ride. We decided to take a ride out towards Strawberry Lake and work our way over to Soldier Summit to ride out across Reservation Ridge. The route is all easy forest roads mixed with some a good amount of highway on the return trip.

I need to start taking more pictures. But this will provide a general idea of the area.

My riding partner and better half.

Along Hwy 6 on the way back to Mapleton.

We decided to head home through Vernal and spend some time at Flaming Gorge. The last time we were in this area was 18 years ago.
We found a nice spot to place the trailer.

To explore the area we rode down to Vernal on the highway for breakfast. On the way down took off on forest roads as they presented themselves. Many of the side trips resulted in closed historic sites. It is late in the year and many campgrounds and attractions are closed down.
Since I had no plan for the day we headed back to camp. I had noticed the Red Cloud Loop on the way down and figured we would ride it on the way back. It is a well graded road and it is a nice cruise through the forest.

The loop took us back into Vernal. Once we hit the pavement I looked for a place to get of the bike in the shade. Once we stopped we noticed that we had stopped in a interesting place.

After this stop it was about 45 miles of twisty highway back to the campsite. It was a fun day that logged 185 miles.
We headed to Browns Park and the swinging bridge the next day.
Cigar Mike
Old 09-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Looks like a fun day on 2 wheels, thanks for the report and pics
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Next day

The next morning we headed North from Flaming Gorge on 191 into Wyoming to get on Browns Park Road. I had hopes that the swinging bridge would be open. I saw BigDogs ride report at ADV and did not expect it to be.
The roads are well graded gravel roads and well traveled by oil field workers. You can travel pretty much at any speed you fell safe doing.
We stopped at the Jarvis Historical site. We had visited that spot 18 years ago. Back then the site was more like it might have been when Butch and the Hole in the Wall Gang hid there. Many improvements made since then. I don't feel for the better. It has lost much of it's character.

There were plenty of tables under in the shade and it was a good place to have a lunch break. Plenty of concrete walks and watered grass 18 years later. but still worth the visit.
The swinging bridge is just down the road a few miles. The road turns to pavement a few miles short of the turn off to the bridge. I was hoping the bridge was open so that we could continue down towards Vernal.
The Bridge

The Green River

I knew we could back and cross the river near the Historical site. So we headed back in that direction. By the time we got there the beer back at the trailer sounded better. We therefore headed back the way we came. My wife announced as we were making good time down the dirt roads,"just like horses headed back to the barn".
With our travel at the higher speeds and the dust I was kicking up she hits and embedded sharp rock in the road. Fortunately it did not go flat for a few miles. It was only noticed after I decided to pull off the road for a sort break.
It was suggested that I go the last few miles back to camp and get the truck and come back to retrieve the bike. I would rather fix the flat then do that.

Complete and ready to ride.

Nice relaxing day and a lot of fun riding with my better half.
Cigar Mike
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,293

nice area
Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Slojoe
Easily Amused

Oddometer: 494
Thanks for the report. Utah has a lot of places that look like the places I ride in New Mexico.
Slojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote