Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
36 hours away....
I'm running Nitro this time.
HF
Here's where to get the real gas

http://www.buyrealgas.com

5 places claimed in Tulsa area...
http://www.buyrealgas.com/Oklahoma.html

Many marina's also carry gas with no Ethanol, for boats.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #197
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Yeah....we've got lots of real gas around Rancho Highfive. Easy to find. And, it seems more stations are converting back over to it as time goes by. And, its priced about the same as the E10 fuel.

BAD NEWS: Dyno shop called me on the phone this afternoon to inform me they must postpone my dyno run. Apparently, they had a system crash in their Dyno's brain. Its requiring a complete hardware/software replacement. When will it be running again? Quien sabe......parts are ordered.

Think I'll go Dragon Hunting again. No sense sitting around waiting.

HF

To be continued....
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #198
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Cant wait
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #199
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oops!

Ok....I took a little trip on my F800GS while the Dynostar was being repaired. Ended up meandering about 3,000 miles and tagging 9 states before the wanderlust ran out. Now, its time to get back to business with my WRR for the Athena 290 Dyno run.

But what now? Seems there's alway a but-something, lately.

But Houston, we have a problem!

Here lies poor R-squared ...... R.I.P.

I was replacing the chain and sprockets with a new Supersprox set, and happened to notice that "but-something" right before my eyes.....while sitting on the floor working on the counter sprocket. One of my two mounting bolts...what holds the camchain-tensioner-from-hell in place, was MISSING the bolt head!!!

Thank goodness, it was the near side which was facing me, and not the far side which I might have missed. Long story short.....I had to remove the cylinder so I can put it on the bench to make the repair. The broken bolt is frozen in the threads of the Athena cylinder, and looks like this:

Oh well, life's like this sometimes. Its a PITA, but I can fix it. Time to do it right, and not try some half baked, stupid attempt at getting it wrong. I probably fatigued the bolt during the 15 round trips of screwing with that sadistic tensioner gadget trying to figure it out. On the bright side, I get MORE practice at it. But this time, I'm ready with a new, larger bench vise!

At least, it gives me (and you) a fresh look inside the Athena cylinder after about 3,000 miles of use. I know....I know.....I've been distracted the last few months perfecting my F800 specs. Because I had to....

Here's a fresh look under the Athena hood:

As speculated, I'm certainly not running too lean.

There are some strange scratches in the piston skirt coating on the induction side:

But, I can't feel them.....the surface feels very smooth. Not sure what that's all about. The cylinder wall looks perfect.

Since I've got it all apart (again), I think I'll make a few more upgrades this time. I'm going to clean the head and valves, plus do some porting to smooth out all the passageways for improved flow.

And, I'm going to put the original valve shimpads back in to tighten the valves to the min spec. I've had several conversations with very knowledgeable mechanics familiar with the R1 engine (and similar)....since my last work on this motor. They all claim to have seen very minimal wear, and thus movement, in these valve clearances. Seems they wear a little bit initially. Then, pretty much stay put for a long, long time. And this, is on motors being "raced", no less. Consequently, I'm going for maximum valve opening duration.....that is within stock specs. The valve adjustment I performed moved the clearances to near the maximum.

I do have to acquire a new Athena head gasket, as its not the same as the stock gasket. The piston diameter is larger, which requires a custom size gasket. However, the stock cylinder base gasket is an exact match for the Athena unit. I know, because I have a complete spare set of stock gaskets on hand.

To be continued.....

HF
Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #200
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,174
Ok, I may have missed it but I cant find if you upgraded cams with the big bore install?

How many HP did you Dyno after stock engine was tuned?

how many HP did you Dyna after the big bore install?
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #201
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Ok, I may have missed it but I cant find if you upgraded cams with the big bore install?

How many HP did you Dyno after stock engine was tuned?

how many HP did you Dyna after the big bore install?

1) About 23% gains in both HP & Torque with mods to stock motor (from 22hp/14ft-lbs.....to 27hp/17ft-lbs)

You can read all the details of my first two dyno runs (on stock motor) at my website here:

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/

Find the "Tech Guide" at the top. Pull-down a menu selection and you'll find the links to Dyno runs.

All the mods I've performed can be found in this website, as well.

2) I've not performed the Dyno run #3 yet, on the Athena Big Bore. Its been delayed a bit longer...

3) Still running stock cams. I'm not aware of any aftermarket cam options for this bike. I've only spoken to one person who has modified an (extra) exhaust cam to work in the Intake position. He claims very impressive results, and I don't doubt it. But, that level of machining is a bit above my paygrade.

HF
Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #202
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,885
Another two weeks and nothing? As Denzel Washington says to his butterfingered back in Remember the Titans, "You're killin me Petey!"
Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #203
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Ain't been sleeping

Well....gee whiz.....I've been busy "making it better". Good things take time. They don't always happen overnight.

I did a little cleaning...

Ok, maybe, more like a lot...

Now then, if you really know what you're looking at, and have a keen eye, you can see I've been up to some mischief.

Hooked up with an old-school, 4-stroke genius, friend. Dug out the porting tools and.....got a little carried away.....maybe. Or, maybe not.

Notice how we increased the relief area around the edge of the valve seat. The stock head clearance was very tight there, particularly on the wall side. We shaved it back to allow it to flow a little better around the valve.

We also opened some spacing behind the valve up in the tunnel. That's an area that needed some work, but I couldn't photograph it.....not where you could see it.

Then, we did some porting work on the intake and exhaust to smooth out the casting seams, which were rather nasty in there.

Intake

Exhaust

Cleaned and de-carboned the valves and all that.

So, as you can see, I haven't been ignoring the project. Got her all put back together last weekend, using a new set of rings, and have been "breaking it in" over the past week to get her ready for the Dyno run (again).

I'm right at 300 miles, and WOW is it running good. I'm actually quite impressed with it. Better than I expected. It really pulls strong when I crank the throttle, more so than ever before.

Now, I'm quite anxious to see the Dyno numbers, and get her all dialed in perfectly. The PCV and Autotune unit have been doing a good job trimming the fuel settings and cleaning up the powerband. But, I still want to know I've optimized my AFR settings by throttle position and gear selection, based on Dyno output.

This week, I'm going to call the Dynostar boys to rescheduled my appointment. I'm assuming they got their machine running again, by now.

This time, as fate directed, it was worth the wait. Trust me.

HF
Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #204
svr700
wrrider

Oddometer: 201
Nice job! I replaced the piston in mine after 6,000 miles just for peace of mind. It didn't need it, hadn't worn through the anti friction coating, cylinder looked perfect. Now I'm thinking about doing the stroker crank this winter, could get interesting!

svr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #205
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Good News: The Dynostar is fixed, and I'm back on schedule for this coming Friday.

Only negative is that its been so hot here.....very hot. And, now very humid too. Not good conditions for peak power output. Oh well, I'll make the best go of it I can. Start the countdown (again).

I've put 350 miles on the new rings now. Took it out for its first WOT run. Hot, humid, with some head wind, and she held 91 mph (gps) as long as I wanted....a full mile. I will say she definitely got there faster than before. And, I've got it tuned rich, for safety. My AFR is currently set for 12.5 at WOT. At least, it didn't seize so I can give it to the dyno operator now.....who's gonna wring her living neck.

HF
Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #206
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Good News: The Dynostar is fixed, and I'm back on schedule for this coming Friday.

Only negative is that its been so hot here.....very hot. And, now very humid too. Not good conditions for peak power output. Oh well, I'll make the best go of it I can. Start the countdown (again).

I've put 350 miles on the new rings now. Took it out for its first WOT run. Hot, humid, with some head wind, and she held 91 mph (gps) as long as I wanted....a full mile. I will say she definitely got there faster than before. And, I've got it tuned rich, for safety. My AFR is currently set for 12.5 at WOT. At least, it didn't seize so I can give it to the dyno operator now.....who's gonna wring her living neck.

HF
Well maybe the weather will help make up for that "extra work" you put in. Perhaps it will give a better comparison for just the big bore in relation to the past dynos.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #207
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive

:runstogaragetocheck

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #208
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,704
:breathessighofrelief

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #209
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Just FYI guys, the best way to get the infernal tensioner to retract without drama is using this:

And to get it to engage you're going to have to use your hands to get some leverage and press one of these against the cam chain where it sits in front of the piston bore. It's REALLY HARD to press but at least you won't skip timing every time you turn over the engine and the autodecompression mechanism kicks the exhaust cam forward a few teeth.

I've done this job twice, not including many attempts doing it the wrong way.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #210
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMind View Post
And to get it to engage you're going to have to use your hands to get some leverage and press one of these against the cam chain where it sits in front of the piston bore. It's REALLY HARD to press but at least you won't skip timing every time you turn over the engine and the autodecompression mechanism kicks the exhaust cam forward a few teeth.

I've done this job twice, not including many attempts doing it the wrong way.
Is that a scraper/chisel?
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote