User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Wayne Weber OP
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
The Weber's annual Fall Ride

So it's been an interesting year or two. I haven't ridden motorcycles much for the last 2 years, well off and on but not much. Instead of explaining, I started this thread in "Inmates" which I think does the job.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621307

Anyway, as far as this ride report goes, Wes and I have both injured our right shoulders, mine on a pedal bike, his on a motobike...so we agreed that this year we'd do a little easier ride, but still a really nice fall ride.

So off we go!

Usually we do some pretty epic fall rides. This year, Wes summed it up as "anti epic". Off we go for an anti-epic fall ride. I mean, we still did 345 miles of wonderfall Colorado fall scenery with a buch of dirt...in 11 hours...so it's not like some piddly ride, just...anti-epic.

Wes got it rolling by doing some single track in my front yard. He defended his choice by claiming my stairs were an "existing trail".

Fair enough, it's been ridden before

anyway...of to the ride of anti epic proportions. Note that we are starting after sunrise, 7:17 to be exact.

Well we rode 0.387 of one block and found this problem:

Rather than push our luck as "Local Traffic" we...turned right and went on our way. No need for "the man" at the start of the ride.

Off we went, riding up and over Berthoud Pass at sub-felonious speeds. Heck a Porsche Boxter passed us on US6, then a Porsche Turbo Carrerra tailed us all the way down Berthoud. At least they were Porsches...

So we hit Fraiser (Freezzzzzerrr) and gassed up since the next gas was a ways out.

Pretty casual, filling up after 60 miles. Not epic but practical.

Oh, and I got a call on my cell phone so I *had* to check the message.

Just a friend wanting to go for a hike around Vail next week, such is my life

on with the excitement!

Heading westerly Wes zipped around the corner as the aspens were encouraging us that it would be a scenic day

Our route, though not technical was flowing and scenic. Not epic, but a nice ride.

Lots of old pine-beetle killed trees in this area,

Nice rocks and morning light on the way to Ute Pass

The top of Ute Pass, looking towards the Gore Range. We'll ride around the north part of this picture (well maybe a bit more north). I really want to hike some of those 13er's in this picture, they are technical scrambles that look fun.

The next section, north of Green Mountain Res was pretty cool. Kelli and I scoped it out in the 4runner a week ago, new terrain that I want to check out more!

Ahh Apsens in yellow, the motivation of the fall ride...well some of the motivation.

Off to Radium and a nice road with some dissapointment...

This is a great and really fun road, as Grand County 111 (I think?) goes over the hill to Routt County Rd 2.

Signs noted that it was public access through private land, pretty common in Colorado especially around more BLM and State land areas. No big deal, we're respectful and have opened and closed a thousand gates in our life.

But then of course some property owner decides to lock a gate on a county road. We'll email the sherriff and get the low-down, but it was pretty well marked on the map. Oh well, time to back track!!!

Finally heading down to State Bridge and then McCoy and then Burns and then...

Lunch!!!

and a map check. This is the time of the day when you confirm "anti-epic" motivations and start hacking out parts of our wishful thinking that adds hours and hours of riding (flat tops to glenwood etc etc)...with the idea that if we left in after sunrise, getting home before sunset isn't so bad...Anti Epic for sure! We talked about shoulders, pain, getting old and how well Wes's kids Dayna and Hayden do on there little mountain bikes as we had lunch on an actual picnic table. Pretty comfy I must say!!

Zippin. Well, 50ish, not like tripple digits or anything.

Wes commented "man if you tried to climb this, it would all crumble under your hands! I would be tough"....

Maybe some thing for us to go play on..

anyway, off towards Vail...well, Wolcott, from Dotsero. We took the side road instead of the interstate. We weren't really in a hurry, but weren't really that motivatated to ride the whole state off road either.

But...we were very motivated to play around Red and White Mountain, to the north of Vail.

Beaver Creek..I'll be skiing there this winter!!!

Some rocky terrain.. the Rally Twins just drive straight through stuff, it's so nice.

On top looking towards Vail.

Looking towards the Gore Range from Red and White Mountain

Looking back at Beaver Creek from the same spot...

Well that was it. Slabbed it home and got there before dark! How's that for an anti-epic fall ride, 345 miles, not even eleven hours, no single track and still some wonderful fall scenery in Colorado.

Which is the whole point of our fall ride!

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,410
Nice ridereport guys.
I know all about shoulder pain. I broke mine last year. I went down hard on it yesterday. And now I am up in the middle of the night trying to deal with the pain. It sucks to get old.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,533
Nice!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Wayne Weber OP
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
Bummer Tim! Re-inuries just make me cringe. Get better!

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Wes Weber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
That was a really fun ride. Funny, my shoulder was killin me on the ride back, but Friday it was fine. I'm going to see the doc tomorrow morning. Hope it isn't epic.
91 KTM 300 EXC
89 FJ1200
97 Gas Gas JTX270
Wes Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,502
Thanks for the report, Wayne!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,379
Looks like another great annual report too. Thanks for sharing it
Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,454
Those KLR's are amazing bikes. They'll start right up after two years of sitting idle and with a skilled rider on board, tackle graded dirt roads.

Looks like a great day ride fellas.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
CCCO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
nice ride

Oh just a ho hum ride for you guys this year I see...

Dad
CCCO is offline   Reply With Quote