Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
drhach OP
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,313
A couple of airhead questions

1976 R90/6

The first one pertains to the enricheners on the Bing carbs. I was comparing and contrasting these to the Mikunis on my old Suzuki. On the Mikunis, the enricheners actually cease to function once the therottle is opened past a certain point. They rely on the vaccum created by a small throttle opening to flow the fuel. Is that the case for Bings as well or do they "enrichen" at all throttle openings as long as the lever is pulled?

Secoondly, I pulled the fill plug on my transmission. Oil gushed out. It didn't look milky and I filled it last, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that when I left it. My diff was fine and needed very little added. However, the driveshaft needed a pretty good squirt. So, what I naturallly wondered was whether the driveshaft could in some way leak in to the transmission. I didn't pull the boot to see if it was full of oil. I also have not pulled back the speedometer cable cover to see if it is wet. I visually inspected it though. It has no cracks and looks pretty good externally. Most likely I'll drain the trans and refill it just to be safe.

Dan
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
1976 R90/6

The first one pertains to the enricheners on the Bing carbs. I was comparing and contrasting these to the Mikunis on my old Suzuki. On the Mikunis, the enricheners actually cease to function once the therottle is opened past a certain point. They rely on the vaccum created by a small throttle opening to flow the fuel. Is that the case for Bings as well or do they "enrichen" at all throttle openings as long as the lever is pulled?
The enricheners on the Bings will enrichen the mixture whenever the lever is not in the closed (down) position. They'll also enrichen the mixture if there's a leak in the gasket or if the screws securing the valve to the carb body are not tight.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
TimTowtdi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
The enrichers work with the throttle open. When the bike is warmed and you are cruising down the road, reach down and flip on the choke. You will feel the difference, so I know they work with the throttle open.

It is possible that the oil from the swing arm migrated into the trans. How much oil did you use in the swing arm? All you need is 150ml in there, no more. If you fill it too much, it is more likely to migrate.
TimTowtdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
Check that the transmission vent is clear. It could be that the drive shaft oil is being pulled into the trans as it cools (air in trans contracts as it cools) if the trans vent is plugged.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
drhach OP
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,313
Thanks everyone.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote