Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
abqcookie OP
Serow Siren

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic_ken
Ya know, I don't recall twisting that arm very much at all.

Here I have a gun pointed at them, can't ya tell?

We met Ken at Sandia BMW. He and I had met about 1 ½ years ago when he came to the city for his birthday with his girlfriend Emily and to catch a show at Santa Ana Star. Ken’s a big guy with a bear handshake and hug, my kind of person I like to hang out with.

We bullshitted a few minutes outside the shop and then I asserted (tried to) myself, “Ok, fellas, I’ll meet you up at Santa Fe this evening.”

Ken started in now, with his arm twist, “Hey, should we get a bite to eat?”

Ok, on this part, I’m not sure how we got to this place, but it turned into, “Aw, come with us to PJ’s, it’s Demo Day.” I’d heard that they were supposed to have snacks and such so I chimed in with that. Alrighty, may as well get a little something to eat, right? And maybe test ride a Triumph? I can get my nap and nails done later, right?

So onwards we went. I led the way across the city and we rode into PJ’s. I never did find any food, but we met several other inmates there. LoriKTM, GSDave, Gordy and Eurobiker were all there. Eurobiker made me a deal on his R850R. This got Ken thinking about making me a deal on my XT for his girlfriend so I could hand over the cash to Eurobiker for the beemer, but I’m going to have to pass for now. I like my bike too much.

After a bit of visiting and checking out the bikes for demo rides, I bid them farewell, again. “Ok, now I really must get back home.” I pleaded.

“Naw, you’re riding with us to Santa Fe, arnt’cha?” no smoother words Ken spoke to Barbie.

It was make or break time for Devon and Ken. Will they be able to break Cookie’s resolve? Get Cookie to ride to Santa Fe or tease her mercilessly about her wussiness for driving her car, wearing makeup and getting her hair done.

Ken played the wild card, “If you ride to Santa Fe, I’ll get a room so’s you can take a nap before dinner tonight.” Hmmm, tempting.

I wasn’t really that tired anymore. It was more the free time to do the girly stuff I wanted. But with a half-twisted arm I said “Ok.”

Now, remember I left my place with little more than the gear on my back, and my wallet. As I rode I thought about the ride back to Albuquerque that night after dinner. Yikes! It would be dark on Hwy. 14, potential for deer on the road, and freezing cold without enough gear. Ken and Merickk were planning to share a hotel room for the night and they invited me to bunk with them, so problem solved.

So long as I got home early enough on Sunday, I thought, it’ll be alright. I made plans to work in my classroom as many hours as I could on Sunday. If I made it back to Albuquerque by 10 am Sunday, I’d have most of the morning and afternoon to work. I shared my work plans with Ken and Devon and they looked at me like I was insane…work? On a Sunday?

On the way to Santa Fe, we stopped at the Greenside Café, at Cedar Crest in the Sandia Mountains, for lunch. We’d hoped to visit with the proprietor, Jaybob, who is also an ADV inmate but he was out when we stopped by. Ken remarked that he’d always wanted to try the Greenside. Our lunches were delicious. I left a note for Jay at the counter, and then we were off once again.

On part of the ride I daydreamed of a comfy pillow-top hotel bed and a beauty stop at Target to at least pick up a couple of cosmetics and some hairspray. But that would have to wait.

I got completely sidetracked once again. We stopped for a stretch and water at a gas station at the junction of the 599 bypass and Hwy. 14. Ken pulled out his map and said, “We’re thinking of a ride up the mountain to the Santa Fe Ski Area, wanna come with?......”

Great lunch, a scenic ride on the Turquoise Trail and twisties up the mountain in Santa Fe. Sweet! Getting your arm twisted never hurt so good as it did this day.

abqcookie screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 10:37 PM
abqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #17
abqcookie OP
Serow Siren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
remember, I left my house with the gear on my back and my wallet. I didn't bring my camera. But Ken's got the pics. I was supposed to return home in about 15 minutes. I didn't foresee returning home 31 hours and a few hundred miles later.

Ya know, I kinda like running away from home for little bits at a time. I grab my mini-adventures whenever, wherever and with whoever I find them.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
abqcookie OP
Serow Siren

ok boys and girls, I've got to head off to school. The Gentlewoman from Albuquerque now yields the floor to the Gentleman from Bloomfield or the Gentleman from Farmington.

If ya haven't piped in by the time I get home, I'll put up a little more. More story and pics please, the masses are hungry.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic_ken
An XT, KLX and a GS...........What could go wrong?

Remember that bad things happen in threes.
this aint gonna end well
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #20
merickk
Living Folk Tale

I did manage to find a tiny bit of dirt on this trip.

Not too much though. All this while waiting around for cookie to get to gallup.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcookie
ok boys and girls, I've got to head off to school. The Gentlewoman from Albuquerque now yields the floor to the Gentleman from Bloomfield or the Gentleman from Farmington.

If ya haven't piped in by the time I get home, I'll put up a little more. More story and pics please, the masses are hungry.
always hungry for more cookie
Old 09-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Quote:
“Terri, where’s the BMW shop? I’m meeting Ken there.” Merickk, the country boy whose preferred navigational system resembles literally using the rule of thumb – wet your thumb stick it out in the air to figure out which way the wind blows – wasn’t going to find that shop in the big ugly city of Albuquerque without a little direction.

Quote:
We made a couple of pit stops on our ride, but nothing too eventful (except when I couldn’t find my way out of the housing area in Crownpoint). But at about 10:30 pm, we pulled our bikes over near one of the entrances to Chaco Canyon. We shut off the ignitions and it took a moment to readjust to total darkness. It was black as pitch and not a soul in sight. There were no homes or signs of community anywhere. Nature called Merickk’s number, which is why we stopped in the middle of nowhere. While he did his business, I looked up at the sky and the most brilliant array of stars covered the night sky. It was so beautiful! It’s been years that I’ve seen something as dazzling as that blanket of celestial wonder.

The image of the night sky is etched in my memory now. I'm kinda glad I got my arm twisted.
sometimes the thumb wettin method of direction just works betterest

I knew we was in trouble when I seen the same kids playing basketball in the middle of the street for the 3rd time. Buuuut, I was just a spectator in this ride and let cookie lead the way.

Great ride, great weather, beautiful wommin, beautiful sky.....yup that was a moment to be remembered fer sure. Red bull...it gives you wings
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
abqcookie OP
Serow Siren

Most of this weekend I led the ride. But it had nothing whatsoever to do with being a leader. I was Granny in disguise, because this little ‘ole lady needed someone bringing up the rear to keep an eye on her! I was on a joy ride and my little XT was the moto masquerade version of grandma’s super-clean, 20 year old 4-door Buick with only a couple thousand miles on the odometer, and a speedometer needle that’s not often seen the hot side of 55 mph! So putting me in the lead had nothing to do with knowing what I was doing. Ken took teasing delight in making sure I knew who the “Big Cat” was. He’d rev his GS at streetlights, big lion roar that it was, and I’d rev my XT in response, hardly louder than a kitten purr.

Hyde Park Road which leads up to the Santa Fe Ski Basin was a fun ride and full of curves. Because I was in the lead Ken could observe my riding skills. There was an “uh-oh” moment when I took a curve too wide and crossed the center line. Thank God there wasn’t anyone coming around the corner but had I done that about 5-7 seconds later it could have been ugly. I wasn’t sure at the time what I was doing wrong but Ken knew. It was a teaching moment for him and a lesson to learn on my part. Later that evening over beers in our hotel room after we’d visited with other local inmates and the guys on the Blue Line Tour, Ken, Devon and I talked about counter-steering…..I need to do a better job of it. The next day I think I did a better job and I felt more in control of my motorcycle. Ken is a good teacher and someone to learn from. His girlfriend Emily will be well-mentored by Ken once she’s ready to ride.

Our ride through the Santa Fe Mountains took up the balance of time in the afternoon and before we knew it, it was nearing 5:00 pm. We rode back down the mountain and met up at GrizGirl’s home for the meet-n-greet with the Blue Line Tour Hotties (btw, hotties is my wordage, not Merickk’s or BK’s). Seriously, Paul and Chris (Badge320) are absolutely lovely people and it is obvious they thoroughly enjoyed their cross-country ride and meeting lots of riders along the way. We all parked the bikes in Cathy’s driveway and strolled the few blocks to the Santa Fe Plaza. Chris and I had very nice walk and talk on the way to the plaza and I enjoyed getting to know him a bit.

I guess few of us took account of the fact that we were trying to have dinner and conversation on a very busy weekend in Santa Fe. It was the weekend of La Fiesta de Santa Fe, celebrated each year since the 1692 re-conquest of Santa Fe from the local Native American Pueblos who chased out the Spaniards in 1680. The restaurant we wanted to dine at was very busy, booked solid for about 1 ½ hours. Our entire party that included Badge320, Luap, GrizGirl, Alejo and his S.O., LoriKTM and GSDave, SirWrecksAlot, Merickk, Ballistic Ken and myself (hope I didn’t forget anyone), all decided to hit up the food booths in the plaza and picnic it out on the grass. I got a cool henna tattoo and had the Navajo burger and shared my fry bread with a few inmates.

We walked back to Cathy’s and I was so tired, I couldn’t even talk right. I needed sleep in a bad way. We chatted a little bit more then I pulled the “let’s go” routine, slowly putting on my gear and glaring at Ken and Devon with glazed eyes. We said our goodbyes and rolled out of the heart of Santa Fe for our hotel at the east end of Cerrillos Road, near the interstate. I picked the place because I wanted to be closer to Hwy. 14 for my very quick route back to Albuquerque at the crack of dawn the next day. Remember, I was supposed to be hard at work all day Sunday in my classroom?

Ken and Devon checked into our room but I needed to zip over to Walmart for jammies, a toothbrush and mini hair products. Devon assured me that he was fine with me traipsing around our hotel room in my skivvies – no need for Walmart. As if. I shopped at Walmart and Devon was so kind to buy one of my favorite beers, Fat Tire, instead of his usual Modelo. Oh, and he gave me a shoulder massage, took the sofa bed and let me have the other queen, and he ran down to reception to get me a courtesy hair comb. Awww, what a sweetheart!

We drank too much and had a great time. I felt so comfortable in my comfy bed after a hot shower, new jammies, a couple Fat Tires and a bit of Wild Turkey (I tried it at least). I was going to sleep soundly and be refreshed for work tomorrow. But my arm wasn’t twisted enough to Ken or Devon’s liking. Any more twisting and they were gonna pull my arm out of my already shit-for-a-shoulder socket.

abqcookie screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 09:19 PM Reason: Dummy me didn't spell Cathy's name right
Old 09-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #24
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,188
This is a break while running Hwy 475 out of Santa Fe to the SF Nat'l Forest

Expiramental shot:

The Duke abides!
ballistic_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #25
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Blue Line Tour Pic......

The Duke abides!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #26
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Snack Time in Santa Fe

The Duke abides!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #27
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Thanks Terri for the nice words, I never considered myself much of a teacher of anything. I find it hard to put into words the ideas I'm trying to get across. Your scary incident motivated me to make you understand, I'm not normally like that. It was satisfying watching you experiment with the techniques and improve before my eyes.

Don't listen to a thing I say about riding in dirt though.................

The Duke abides!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #28
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Caution, carnage ahead....................

Devon has more pics (so do I ) and Terri has a story to tell.

The Duke abides!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #29
abqcookie OP
Serow Siren

That little incident was #2 in the series of unfortunate events. We're forgetting #1. I'll put up a little more story tomorrow, particularly where Merickk commenced speaking in that well-known pidgin dialect called F*ckese (or is it F*cklish?) the better part of the afternoon after unfortunate event #1.

As I always say, it ain't a good dirt ride unless Cookie kisses the ground at least once. I swear, I was so dusted I felt like a rum ball rolled in powdered sugar. That volcanic ash dirt is so soft and light, it goes deep like sand but is not heavy.

And a thought occurred to me afterward.....here I was bellyaching about losing my day of beauty and all I needed to do was mix a cup of water with the ash and I could have made myself a pretty workable facial mask - great for the skin!

abqcookie screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 09:21 PM
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #30
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Quote:
That little incident was #2 in the series of unfortuante events. We're forgetting #1. I'll put up a little more story tomorrow, particularly where Merickk commenced speaking in that well-known pidgin dialect called F*ckese (or is it F*cklish?) the better part of the afternoon after unfortunate event #1.

As I always say, it ain't a good dirt ride unless Cookie kisses the ground at least once. I swear, I was so dusted I felt like a rum ball rolled in powdered sugar. That volcanic ash dirt is so soft and light, it goes deep like sand but is not heavy.

And a thought occurred to me afterward.....here I was bellyaching about losing my day of beauty and all I needed to do was mix a cup of water with the ash and I could have made myself a pretty workable facial mask - great for the skin!