User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Pwnzilla OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 226
Rokon Ranger, thoughts?

I have always liked the idea of the Rokon motor cycles. The ability to go just about anywhere paired with the multitude of accessories to customize the bike into exactly what you want is very appealing to me.

My father built a hunting cabin in Montana, he is a serious big game hunter and takes a handful of trips out to the cabin each year. He wanted a small low geared bike to run into town on to get supplies, and haul out meat from the woods when hunting. I sold him my 1976 Honda CT90 for this, but that bike is getting pretty old and isn't the most dependable vehicle when you're in the middle of the forest in MT. On top of that if it were to break down with meat on, it could result in the meat spoiling.

I suggested to my father to look into Rokons. Although I've never ridden one, I've always heard they're the most bulletproof, go anywhere, dependable woods vehicle around. He would put the bike on a rack and transport it back and forth from MT from PA (he never flies).

I wanted to get some feedback from people who have or have had a Rokon, and are they really all they make them out to be? And how do they do on normal ATV/Moto trails? Are they just too slow to enjoy trail riding? I know they're more of a utility bike. The lack of suspension would really hurt any kind of trail riding I think.

I was looking into the different models, the Ranger model has a Honda engine (awesome), 15" of ground clearance, top speed of about 30mph, and you can get either type of wheels (one with the storage in the wheels, or the solid spoke wheels). The Scout seems like the "beginner model" which I don't understand, the whole concept of the bike is ease of use. Then there's the original Trailblazer with a little more power and comes with the "storage wheels".

Brand new the Ranger is about $5400:

A two wheel drive tank!

On paper it looks like the perfect bike for my fathers hunting cabin, and honestly I would love to mess around with it the rest of the year.

http://www.feralcatbrotherhood.blogspot.com

Pwnzilla screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 05:14 PM
Pwnzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
I no longer consider any industrial engines carbs. bullet proof. I have way more issues with them than any on my motorcycles despite the added complexity.

I've looked at Rokons first hand but never ridden one. Appears to me to be a 2 wheel drive lawn mower. At that price there would be no way in hell for me. Check the weight of the Rokon and a small trail bike.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,204
I think they are a good idea..........but.........the Honda engine is stupidly underpowered........the Kohler is no better..something like 6 hp or so ......like said this is a 2 wheel drive lawnmower engine..with sissybars........

Now if there was a decent engine in it for that highish price then maybe...maybe a hi-low 200cc Honda 3 wheeler engine or something..i`m not paying 5400 bucks for a lawnmower engined utility bike..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
I bet a tw200 would go everywhere that would and do it with some comfort, plus you could drive it into town, cheaper also. Of all the times ive been stuck I doubt a underpowered 2wheel drive bike would have made it through. Ive owned a tw but never rode a rokon, $5400 for a no suspension minbike looking machine, no way.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Pwnzilla OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

The Ranger model has a Honda 160cc engine, not a Kohler lawn mower engine.

My father has a lawn tractor with a Kohler engine and he hasn't changed the break in oil in 14 years (not advised!), still starts and runs fine.

They are a 2 wheeled tractor, that's the point, it's a utility vehicle. It would mainly be used pulling 500-800lbs of meat out of the woods in MT.

The TW200 is the other bike I was looking at, I test drove one a couple years ago. I love the mega tires and the super small frame. Maybe that would be a better way to go.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 868
I owned an older rokon. If you want to drag dead animals at slow speeds they're great.

They can also go more places than you can walk.

However, anything over 15-20mph is just plain scary.

If you think of it as a motorized donkey you may be satisfied but a 4wd atv has many advantages for similar money.

You can forget riding trails. It'll beat the shit outa ya.

The only advantage over an atv is that it will go between tighter trees.
I wasn't happy with mine and I paid less than half the money you're talking about

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Rokon....from an owner/user

I have 2 Rangers, both 2006 for my son and myself. They go anywhere, trail or not.

Slow compared to an atv but you can work through areas where there is a walking or no trail at all.

For your purposes, they would very useful. Check out Youtube for many video clips, the guide who uses them for pulling black bears out of the northern bush for hunting clients.

They do what they do well, but if you want fast, they are not your answer.

Ours are used on our property which is ten acres of bush surrounded by many thousands of crown (public) land and is typical Canadian shield, lots of rock and pine forest; perfect Rokon territory.

I have the sidecar option on one of them, great for hauling my 100+ lb dog, my grandson and the outboard down to the lake or firewood to the camp.

Try one if you can to get the idea of what they are. I have a bunch of motorcycles, have owned several dirt bikes and some experience with atvs, for me the Rokon and Ural (also 2wd but different config) are the perfect combo.

For me, you could not pry the controls out of my cold dead fingers..............

PM me if you have questions and I would suggest you ignore the opinions of those who don't own one.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
maynard58
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I have a 1969 Trail Breaker with the Power Bee two stroke, I have had it since 1977. bought a new motor 3 years ago to replace the old Chrysler Power Bee, the two stroke bikes are cool, Im just not a fan of the 4 stroke Generator type engines, I have changed the gearing and it will run about 25 mph,[GPS] the ride is not all that bad 2lbs of air in the tires, It will go anywere if you can hang on to it. Im going to take it down to the frame this winter, to paint, mine has the Tear Drop Tank also, kinda rare.
maynard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Pwnzilla OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

How much power does the 2 stroke have versus the 4 stroke? Or is about the same, seems like even a really small 2stroke would have more than 6hp.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Pwnzilla OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Here's a pic of a 1969 Trail Breaker. No one else thinks this is so bad ass? Look at the size of the friggen rear sprocket!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnzilla
Here's a pic of a 1969 Trail Breaker. No one else thinks this is so bad ass? Look at the size of the friggen rear sprocket!

Yup, thats badass! Pure Americana too....very cool.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Rokon

Two additional comments based on recent posts, you can get the "auto grab" front suspension as a factory option, sort of an earles forks unit, works very well.

I retrofitted it to one of the bikes, makes a big difference in handling at speed. No back suspension but you do have the low pressure tires and shock mounted seat, I find it okay even on bouncy stuff at full out (Rokon WFO = 20 mph or so, but that seems fast when the trees are inches on either side of you and the trail drops off on a 30 degree incline).

Second was the comment about Honda being a generator motor, this is true.

But it is a bullet proof one and widely used for karting as it can be pushed into some incredible levels of hp.

The factory takes the governor off, so that is the first step. You can add free breathing air filters, exhaust, etc.

The cheapest 20% increase in hp would be to take out the supplied GX160 and put in a GX200 for a couple of hundred buck. I haven't done it (yet) but those who have are impressed.

And if you really want to ramp up, check out the blueprinted Honda kart engines from NR racing (www.nr-racing.com).

They have a photo on thier home page of a hopped up Rokon. It ain't your grandaddy's Rokon.

I have been told that 12 hp is the maximum the drive system can take without risk of damaging it but I am thinking a 9 to 10 hp Rokon would be more than fast enough for my purposes.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
What would a reasonable range in miles one would expect with only the stock tank with a Honda engine ?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Ranger range

That's a good question, but I am not sure.

It is a large tank and I go weeks between topping it but since the bike does not have a speedometer/odometer (an hour meter is optional) not sure how I can calculate it.

Maybe with my GPS.

You could try Bob's Rokon World (http://forums.delphiforums.com/rokon/messages) or Kern Rokon (http://www.kernrokon.com/forums/inde...7618548194cd19) .

These posters on these sites have some great technical knowledge and opinions on the various generations of Rokon models.

I just drive the h*ll out of them. The fact I can keep mine running nicely with my limited mechanical skills is a tribute to the basic and simple design, there isn't much to break; I have replaced one mitre seal, normal spark plug, motor and gearbox oils on 2 bikes since 2006.

Choke, pull rope and go.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 711
Sounds like a utility bike is what you need. The Rokon should work well.

I ride hard tail ATC's and they don't even have a spring seat. The key is low PSI tires. My ATC's weigh less than some modern dual sport bikes, have huge slow speed traction and the ability to pull/carry loads bigger than dirt bikes and dual sports can.

The only draw back to the Rokon is the price. I don't think 2X2 is necessary for most people and if you could find a Yamaha BW 200-350 or Honda Fat Cat for a reasonable price, I would suggest buying one of those instead of a new Rokon. I have rode a BW200, and while very wierd handleing, they will go a lot of places at slow speeds because of the ATV type tires. The BW's and Fat Cats also float without the rider on them, so if you need to get the bike across a deep water crossing, you can walk them across without them loading up with water.

The biggest advantage to the Rokon's is the ability to carry/pull very large weights. Otherwise I think a person with a few tools and some ability could build their own Rokon type bike (without 2X2) for a lot less money.

Some people have even converted Honda ATC's to two wheelers. A poor mans Fat Cat. Industrial engines that Rokon uses are sure to be good, but the old Honda Fat Cats and Yamaha BW's are very reliable and much faster/smoother than a Rokon because they have full suspension and a 5 speed manual transmission. I am sure a person can figure a way to put a sturdy hitch on either so they can drag a sled with game behing them.