Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #16
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
pop open the hood on a 4 cyl car ... with a header exhaust (not a cast manifold) ... (at night) .. the exhaust is all glowing a dark red in there

looks kinda evil ... and cool

... and normal

you might not see it in daytime as well ... but at night you will
Glowing turbo and exhaust mainfold

Pic of my son's car on a dyno
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
Why would you let a aircooled engine idle for 30 minutes?

Do you run it without oil aswell, to check for knocking sounds?

Headers CAN glow red, they do get awfully warm very fast, some do, some dont glow.

Run a low rpm/throttle sparkplugcheck, it the plug is white or gray, adjust the CO screw, that could help.

I let it idle for a half hour simply to test the glowing header theory as discussed here.
My Vapor temp sat right at 265 deg which is 30 less than on a hot day at 70mph.

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Classic Saab 900 Turbo...

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

My evo manifold gets like that but only with the anti-lag switched on

Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
Flatulator
Banned

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra
Yea, Some of these guys are lost.
No, it shouldn't be glowing. On the other hand, an air cooled engine needs air flow. Don't let it idle for long.
no ... you're just showing your inexperience

although they might not typically visibly glow during the daytime when strock from the factory ... they are always close to the temp where they will glow ... and anything that pushes them towards running a little hotter or leaner.. (aftermarket mods - a fiddly owner making changes - slow running on hot days - working the engine hard - slightly clogged carb jets from crud buildup - excessive idling) ... will mak'em glow ... (on LOTS of diff engines)
... not on all ... and not all the time

I have an ATV that is stock ... it never normally glows ... until I do certain hard-working activities (pushing/hauling a heavy load for a while)... only then ... at night (so you can see it better) .. it glows ...
... and always runs great.

... and ... it pretty much has to be a single wall pipe (to glow) ... lots of street bikes have dual wall headers ..., partly to keep fussy streetbike riders from freaking out (with a glow) ... and partly to preserve their precious chrome
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
viperhawk
n00b

Oddometer: 5
The red glow is perfectly normal on the DR650. We mostly ride at night and all do it.
viperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #22
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperhawk
The red glow is perfectly normal on the DR650. We mostly ride at night and all do it.

not sure I can agree.
I ride at night and mine never glows--ever--not even a little.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #23
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,976
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound

not sure I can agree.
I ride at night and mine never glows--ever--not even a little.
For a point of reference, what's your gas mileage? Maybe you're wasting fuel, cooling the pipe?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #24
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Averaged exactly 50 mpg riding to Nova Scotia and back 3500 miles of mostly back roads.

It will go down to 40-42 at extended interstate speeds however.

running the stock mixture screw 3 turns out.

Bike runs perfect.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,976
Thumb

Rallyhound:

Eliminates that, thanks for the reply.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #26
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
Classic Saab 900 Turbo...

The thought of pumping the engine oil through the middle of that turbo bearing is the thing that has left me unconvinced regards turbocharging - at least when it comes to my own vehicle
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
My Xr does it as well. I thought something was wrong with it at first, as it is normally wrapped and I never noticed it. Now I know its normal, its been 6 months or so with it doing and I ride the hell out of the thing. The guys that aren't getting it probably just aren't riding quite as hard, or idling quite as high.

The thing with turbos and oil is that you just have to change it more often. They are more complicated but they do some pretty awesome stuff. I never miss working on my old mitsubishi but sometimes I miss the power. My dodge has a turbo on, and 6000 mile oil changes, but it also has 5 GALLONS of oil. Water cooled turbos are kinda cool too.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #28
screwit
One more time

Oddometer: 837

maybe its just an optical illusion. next time you notice it touch your tongue to it to see if it really is hot.
screwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #29
kjazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwit
maybe its just an optical illusion. next time you notice it touch your tongue to it to see if it really is hot.
!!!!!!!!!!!!
kjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #30
diesel critter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
http://www.sdsefi.com/techegt.htm

lottsa imfo about egt's on the www. Us diesel heads, and also aero heads know that egt (exaust gas temp) is important to engine life. Thats why some big rigs and aircraft have an exaust gas temp gauge on the dash board, so the driver/pilot can drive/fly accordingly to try and make the megabucks engine live a bit longer. I know most of us dont have diesel bikes, or aircraft engines in our bikes but the principles are the same, and even apply to two stroke engines. If your not worried about how long your engine lasts, then glowing exaust pipes are absolutely no problem. Turbo exaust temps are generally higher than non turbo, hence those people who waste their time driving cars (sorry guys), even the turbo ones, and submit photo's of their rides with engines all a glow and say "see its normal", does not really apply unless your dr has a turbo. I pitty that poor saab. looks like the senor in the manifold will be giving very acurate readings. Think about the air going into the engine through that red hot turbo. Hope it has the worlds largest intercooler.

Too many variable affect egt to deal with them all here. Suffice to say: Engine tuning for most people invoves several parameters, including performance, fuel economy and engine life. We fiddle within these parameters to achieve an outcome that hopefully suits our own application. Within those applications some people will require their exausts to glow red, in order for their car to try and keep up with motorcycles...
toast other 4 wheeled roaduses....
or marshmallows!

Evo's and nissans are designed to get heaps of grunt out of a tiny motor with the aim of embarrasing v8 owners. As a result the engine life is generally shortened. And the owners of these cars go: "wow! cool" (and start drooling and get an erection) "my exaust is glowing red hot! How cool is that". About 25 years ago when I was an apprentice, the teacher at tech college showed us how to adjust the timing on an old holden red motor to make the exaust glow red. Used to cause the old cast iron manifolds to eventually crack, and police to issue fines... To get back to the original post. Exausts shouldnt glow red all the time, shouldnt glow red on a dr after 2 minutes of idling on a normally tuned engine, under heavy fanging, it can glow. On a wild feral tuned engine, it might glow even when its parked up for the winter! Also remember that the dr fires on the exaust stroke, which might add to the heat if there is unburnt fuel and fresh air available. So in conclusion, if you want your exaust to glow red hot, good luck to you. Its your engine. Just take it to a good mechanic and ask him to adjust it so the exaust glows red, and then you wont need a campfire, or to turn your lights on at night . Perhaps some one should compile a list . Top ten reason to have a glowing header. Women, if your man drives an fast four and cant perform in bed, there is a photo above of a glowing header. see if that helps.

I often ride my dr soooo fast my helmet glows red. then the visor melts.

where i live it gets soo hot in summer, my petrol tank glows red. And my pubes catch on fire! No wait... thats just an STI.

diesel critter screwed with this post 10-02-2010 at 03:06 AM
diesel critter is offline   Reply With Quote