User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #46
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Nice ride!

Nice report and some good photos! Always fun to see other people's experiences on some of the same roads
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #47
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Thanks for the comments guys.

FWIW the whole area around and including Beatty Butte was just sold at auction to a big corporation. By riding time this summer who knows if the area will be fenced and locked. I hope not, but I'm glad I've ridden to the top and enjoyed the Cave Spring. As Wachs says "Ride while you can".
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #48
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post

FWIW the whole area around and including Beatty Butte was just sold at auction to a big corporation. By riding time this summer who knows if the area will be fenced and locked. I hope not, but I'm glad I've ridden to the top and enjoyed the Cave Spring. As Wachs says "Ride while you can".

I regret missing several opportunities to do so. Now that we're living in GA, I may never get to... oh well. Still, it is nice to revisit, albeit through someone elses eyes, some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Thanks again for sharing Tim.

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #49
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Great report and photos. That's familiar country and it's nice to have a little reminder of home... I've been tossing around the idea of trading out my KLR650 (post current trip if I'm not to attached) for the DR350 and your report makes me think it's a good idea. I was concerned some about top speed and comfort, but looks like mid sixties is where you took her on the regular. Any unusual mods? How is the comfort level? Any regrets overall?

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #50
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:

Hmm, yeah, going to the top of Beatty Butte is one of the things CrazyBrit & I were kicking ourselves for missing after reading your report. It would be a bummer if that is no longer possible (legally).
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
Great report and photos. That's familiar country and it's nice to have a little reminder of home... I've been tossing around the idea of trading out my KLR650 (post current trip if I'm not to attached) for the DR350 and your report makes me think it's a good idea. I was concerned some about top speed and comfort, but looks like mid sixties is where you took her on the regular. Any unusual mods? How is the comfort level? Any regrets overall?
0theories: Love the DR. Mine has lots of the standard mods for protection and baggage carrying. Acerbis tank. Engine and suspension are stock except for jetting the carb one size larger and removing the rubber snorkel in the airbox. I have Sweet Cheeks and a sheep skin which make the seat very tolerable. It's certainly not made to ride the slab at 65+ for hours on end. But it can do that speed when needed to get to the off slab stuff it excels in. The more I researched what I wanted for week long rides in desert/vast areas solo the more I came back to the DR. No radiator to get punctured or boil over or hose break. No fuel injection to go belly up when you're miles from any ranch house. 6 speed. Good reputation for reliability. Decent suspension that can be improved very cost effectively. 60 mpg. Cheap to purchase. I gave $1800 for mine with original tires and 2300 miles on the clock.

Of course every bike has pluses and minuses. Watching Mark smoothly blast over rocky Fandango road on his 640 Adventure really made me question my choice of bikes. But I could fix that for less than $500 if I wanted to . That was the only time on this trip I wanted something different.

I spent a week in September 2011 with my cousin riding some of this same area. He was on his F800GS. He told me over and over how he couldn't believe I was riding a 350. The only time I envied his bike was on the straight pavement as he had a cushy seat and decent wind protection. When we got into the Hart Mtn. area his bike became a real liability with the hard bags and heavy weight.

Certainly don't mean to turn this old ride report into a bike discussion since there are hundreds of those on ADV. But I love my bike.

I did buy a V-strom 650 to add to the stable and between the two bikes I think I have the perfect combination.....if such a thing exists.

In my opinion just one bike to do it all is way too much of a compromise.

Tim
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #52
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
0theories: Love the DR.
Thanks Tim. I'll have to give this a lot of thought Decisions, decisions...

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #53
svenski
Eternally Grateful

Oddometer: 43
Thanks and I agree

I did buy a V-strom 650 to add to the stable and between the two bikes I think I have the perfect combination.....if such a thing exists.

In my opinion just one bike to do it all is way too much of a compromise.

Tim[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great ride reports. I love your camera work on this (and the more recent ) report. Very Inspirational.

I too added a more street oriented mount (Versys) to compliment my KLR. The only problem so far is having to choose between them. Cheers
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #54
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 172
Thanks Tim for taking the time and work for a GREAT RR !!

Dave
Old 09-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #55
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 642
thanks for bumpin this up
good read
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote