Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
my money's on the pump seal as well. pull off the clutch cover and look for emulsion on the inside.

Alan

BTDT

My bet as well.

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #32
injun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Coolant loss

I think everyone missed IT!
Did you say that you weren't running coolant ( antifreeze ) so maybe the stuff you are running doesn't react like regular antifreeze and you're not seeing the normal results?
It;s like standing in the rain with a strainer hoping for a bucket of water
injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #33
marcing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by injun View Post
I think everyone missed IT!
Did you say that you weren't running coolant ( antifreeze ) so maybe the stuff you are running doesn't react like regular antifreeze and you're not seeing the normal results?
I use normal coolant (antifreeze).
When all is closed (radiator cap in place) and I keep coolant level between min and max in the reservoir there is no leak on the outside at all.
Bike is worming up, radiator fan start running and the coolant level is going up slightly (about 5mm).
I have done 120miles yesterday and checked oil and water level. Oil level unchanged. Coolant level dropped about 5mm in the reservoir. During that time engine haven't indicated any overheating signs. During slow ride in the traffic the fan turned on a couple of times but nothing abnormal.

What worried me was when on Saturday I removed a radiator cap ale let engine running and warm. After some time I have noticed that the reservoir tank filled up to the very top (but no leak out over a pipe). Coolant went out through the radiator hole (where normally is placed the cap) and it was showing some kind of bubbles during the blow. It is similar to the opening champagne or volcano :)
After this blow coolant from the reservoir tank has been taken to the radiator so I had to top it up.
marcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #34
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 405
Hi there,

I think Sumi has covered everything that's most likely your cause.

Running with the rad cap off doesnt proove a blown head gasket, because the water pump is forcing coolant up the right side of your rad. The coolant just wants to keep rising with inertia out of the open rad instead of turning through the matrix.

When you remove your rad cap and the engine is warm it's normal for coolant to release into the expansion tank. This is normally due to the hoses expanding taking up the extra volume of the heated coolant and any air thats in there which then reduce back down to normal size when you remove the cap pushing the hot coolant out.

Make sure that the surface of the rad where your cap washer acts upon is clean and not corroded. Fit a new cap. This should ensure your system operates at the specified pressure. If there's an issue with your rad cap/rad and your pressure is low then your coolant may be boiling slightly at the reduced pressure. This could result in a small amount of coolant lost as vapour, but I'd have thought you would easily see that coming out of the expansion tank overflow.

The last thing I'd do is tear the engine apart. I'd start with checking all hoses and joints, especially disturbed joints, followed by a clean-up of the rad cap assy and surfaces, followed by a new wp shaft/seal. Make sure you park your bike over a clean area overnight so you can see if there are any drips. If you're still loosing it after all that I'd put a pressure tester on it when it's cold and see if that shows anything up. Perhaps a small external leak is drying off with the heat and not showing up.

I could be wrong in the above, but just saying what I'd do.

Good luck.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #35
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I noticed today my coolant level is down a bit. I picked the bike up (used '08 with 26k miles) a week and a half ago, and the coolant and oil looked like new, oil at the max mark, and coolant right between min and max.

Today, after 1000 miles, the oil is still at the same spot, and still looks like new, but the coolant is down to the min. mark.

I added a bit to the coolant, and checked the (paper) oil filter:

Looks good to me.

My real concern is that I'm leaving day after tomorrow for a ~1800 mile trip, and I'm new enough to this bike to not have a water pump seal or shaft as a spare/replacement.

Over the past couple days I've gotten the bike HOT, both days were about 90 degrees, and I got stuck in the mud once, and stuck in traffic next. Neither overheated the bike, but both times were very close. Perhaps that is to blame for some coolant disappearance?!

I'll just keep my eye on it and hope for the best over the ride.

If it a slow leak at the WP seal, say 1/2 the overflow bottle every 1000 miles or there abouts, how long till the paper oil filter can cause problems? Any guesses? Are we talking like, a little coolant in the oil will cause major issues, or a lot of coolant? At what point should I begin to panic?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #36
bt390 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Well I currently have over 30k and the new seal is still working well with not further issues.
I do intend to pull down this winter to inspect to see how it is doing and also replace the fuel filter etc since I have heard of some issues there.
bt390 is offline   Reply With Quote