with Blue Mountains Ulysses
Everyone is welcome to join us for the ride

Meet: Blaxland McDonalds, GWH, BLAXLAND, NSW for a 9.00am Start
Ride Leader: Noel and Les
Ride Report, Photos, Map: Eric and Franz

Wednesday, 15th September 2010

Destination:
Wisemans Ferry NSW

The weather forecast for today was 10-20C with a chance of possible shower. It had rained quite heavily on Tuesday and I did not think we would be riding on Wednesday. I awoke at about 6.00am to check the weather conditions. The roads were dry in my area, it was really overcast towards the city but when you looked to the west there was blue sky everywhere so I made my lunch, grabbed my thermos and decided to go. Leaving home at approximately 8.00am, I headed up the M4 to Blaxland arriving there at about 8.25am. There were already a few riders waiting, enjoying the morning sun, it was quite warm on the way up, you would not think that it had rained so heavily on the Tuesday.

Speaking to Noel, also with some discussion from some of the other riders it was decided that we would go to Wisemans Ferry. Everybody thought that was a good idea. We would go up to Springwood down through the Hawkesbury Valley Road, across to Windsor, turn left over the bridge to have morning tea at the service station at Sackville. Then across the ferry and head down to Wisemans along River Road, where we would stop for lunch, come home up the hill along Wisemans Ferry Road through Pitt Town, then stop at Richmond for afternoon tea.

We left at 9.00am. Following Noel there were 10 riders Les, David, Tom, Peter, myself, Guy, Dennis, Joe and John would be tail end charlie. I was a great ride up the highway then down along Hawkesbury Valley Road as there was very little traffic. Arriving at the service station at Sackville where we had morning tea at approximately 10.00am. It was really nice having morning tea sitting in the sun at the service station. After morning tea we continued on to catch the ferry across the river then turn left and head down along the River Road. It is really a great ride down through here but it is only a slow ride with probably maximum speed of no more than 55km/h as parts of it are quite dangerous.

We arrived at Wisemans at approximately midday where we had lunch in the pentagon shelters. While we were there I do not know whether any of the other riders were aware of the Mercedes sports car convertibles that arrived, I have seen these on the television when they hire them out for the day at a cost of about $490 per person, the hire car company does supply lunch, when I looked at the lunch that they had supplied it was not even a barbecue just some packets of chips, with what looked like ham and tomato sandwiches plus bottled water, but they looked like they had enjoyed themselves, I thought to myself 500 bucks for that, you have to be kidding.

We ended up having to sit in the shade because it was too hot in the sun while we were having our lunch, once everybody starts talking it is a little bit hard to get a word in edgewise, finishing lunch we decided to head for home I said goodbye to everybody as I would be leaving them at Windsor heading home the back roads to my place at St Marys. Tom, Allan, David, Les did likewise following me some of the way.

I ended up doing 190km for the day's ride, arriving home at 2.45pm, my wife said to me why are you home so early, my comment was you should have seen how ugly she was.

We had a great day. I think everybody enjoyed themselves, nobody got lost as Les marked the corners for us which made a big difference. In the meantime stay well, ride safe and see you next week weather permitting.
Regards Eric Baldwin