User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,006
Blastoff Adventures: Inaugural Fundy Rally

Every year it seems that Blaster finds himself atleast one Canadian Adventure. This year is no exception; without a doubt these trips always deliver miles of smiles per mile. So, when we found a tiny reference to the Inaugural Fundy Rally we were hooked within hours.

Quote:
The Bay of Fundy is known for having the highest tidal range in the world. Some sources believe the name "Fundy" is a corruption of the French word "Fendu", meaning "split", while others believe it comes from the Portuguese funda, meaning "deep".

Normally, we pack camping kit just to haul it around to the outfitters--check!

The concept is simple: 300 miles in 12 hours with a couple of alternate routes.

Onwards as the next adventure finds us...

Dorito screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 07:57 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,671
Here is a link to the main site and one for the Fundy Adventure Rally.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #3
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Shortly after we registered, the scout team started posting some pics. All were exciting for different reasons!

Quote:
another surprise turn of events, it looks like we’re going to be able to include the Fundy Trailway into the route. This section of very twisty and stunning Fundy shoreline pavement is usually cut off from the trail system and so we hadn’t been able to include it. However, we have an inside man who can open up the gate to the trails, allowing us to ride the road and exit through some great trails. Bonus.

Quote:
took the BMW out on what was supposed to be the easier northern section of the planned base loop as I wanted to see how that section coped after some heavy rainfall. Not well!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Meet the team

It seems we are going to get the band together. Our cast of characters will be much like the last few trips

Blaster

Dorito

As the registration closed out, Keith still had not chimed in. Blaster and I were still full steam ahead. Imagine my surprise when we get a notification from Keith on an idle summer afternoon that he's a late entry

Keith

Dorito screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 06:25 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

I don't know how it always happens. We have a calendar months in advance, and we always seem to scramble to finish line. This trip however was off to a fantastic start. So good in fact, Blaster had finished up the 12K maintenance 2 weekends in advance. Sounds good right?

When he goes to start up the bike, it is puking liquid down both sides. A bit more investigation, and the liquid is identified as fuel. Fuel from a location that he didn't do any work in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
So a while back BMW came out with a recall on a bunch of bikes for the fuel locking ring, well this effected both the Adventure and HP2. I wasn't really in a hurry as it sounded like the locking ring for the entire pump in the tank. Well it really isn't the locking ring as I found out last night, it's a main fitting in the pump housing which ends up cracking and puking gas all over the bike in some real volume....not good! I guess I am glad it happened at the house in the garage and not on the road somewhere as it could have ended quite differently.
This is not mine but it looks just like this.

I am hoping to do a fix like this to get me by for the trip.......oh next week!!!!!
A bit of good fortune, the local BMW dealer thinks they can have it fixed by this weekend. We shall see.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

So, I failed to get a picture of the HP2 both on a trailer and also with the sporting new fuel pump. Literally, we dropped the bike off on Wed PM, and it was ready mid-day Thurs. I am always amazed at how accommodating the dealerships are to upcoming/enroute travelers.

Meanwhile, this was one of the Fundy cables that was released a few weeks back:
Quote:
For our inaugural year we were aiming for at least 25 but thought maybe we’d be lucky and get 35, but never did we think that we’d get 52 – and from such varied geographical locations too. As expected, the majority are from New Brunswick (31) and another eight from Nova Scotia, but then we have seven coming from Ontario, three from Quebec and even two brave souls coming all the way from Maryland in the US.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
NB.Moose
NBDSC

Oddometer: 30
See you this weekend at the rally!!! Theres info you posted about the rally that I didn't even know!!
NB.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Day 1:Portland,ME

NB. Moose..we can't wait to cross the border!

Break break
Take off the pants and dunk them into the water

Now that I have your attention, it's the odd things you learn. Tonight we traveled down to Portland for some steamers. J's was our haunt of choice.

I had the steamer bucket, and the waitress was more than happy to show the proper way to prepare the steamers. Basically remove meat from shell, takes off the extra part covering the foot, water then butter. Mmmmm goodness.

Meanwhile, blaster and Keith did the lobster dinner.

Placemats instructions up

Cleansed the palette with bluet (blueberry) cheesecake.

Tomorrow, we enjoy the low humidity as we meander up the coastline of Maine and deep into Canada.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Day 2:Into Fundy

Today's theme was Moose in the Marsh (MiM).

We departed Portland for north. Keith had the good idea to see most, if not it felt like all, of Maine's 2000 miles of coastline. When we started the day were nearly halfway, by mileage, to our final destination. However, Keith's plan will not disappoint and we will spend most of the waking hours in Maine...yes still.in.Maine.

Blaster elects to spend the day looking for a MiM. The only issue that despite all his good effort for Moose, all we manage to find is a deaad porcupine, and two very big beavers also dead. Nary a moose to be had. As usual, the food on this escapade has been second to none. Seafood extraordinare. Lobster, crab, and scallops--oh my.

The hot dog bet.
On our last adventure, I was reading a resturant menu deep in the heart of Quebec. It probably comes as no surprise that the menu is in French only. For some reason, yet to be understood, the only item in English is 'Hot Dog'. Our French interpretor, Keith, quipped we were saying it wrong. The correct pronouciation is "Hoot Doog".

Since we were again north of the border, it seems alll but fitting to make all bets in 'hot dogs'. For the life of me I can't figure out why Keith. would have installed peg packers for gas. Surely, I recall that he didn't have them on in May (when gas was a concern).

The bet: If I win, Keith buys Blaster and I a hot dog. If he wins, I buy Keith 2 hot dogs. You may notice in this arrangement that Blaster wins regardless.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Day 2 cont'

Sorry for a few days off, but the pics have been absolutely difficult to upload with the connections we've had. So I've decided to postpone this.

Somehow the water up this way doesn't have the putrid brown Maryland color. We must be headed the right way!

Apparently the 3 photogs need to be calibrated. We missed the store for the 45th parallel, and the 20ft tall sunflower path and the giant hammer, but somehow this modern marvel of tires used for logging intrigued us!

Really Keith, I can't believe we are STILL.IN.MAINE!

Penobscot Narrows Bridge

More lobster rolls for lunch. Can't get anywhere without tripping over those 'Mudbugs'

All the talk about fresh water reserves and global warming, and nobody ever mentions the poor ocean which is evaporating

Fresh, unspoilt water

The only guy that I know that gets more information from the border crossing agent than he gives. Somehow, he gets an invite for lunch!

Blaster's first official stop. Bliss!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 AM   #11
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Day 3: Putter around Fundy

Don't Rub My Belly--You aren't getting 3 wishes!

A mere 410 miles and we arrive at Adairs, with 20 mins spare to still get dinner before the lodge closed for the night. Meanwhile, the "hot dog' bet has only double twice again.

The fueling house..How cute!

The lodge caters to snow mobiling, but I am hoping this tidbit of info will be useless for us

We find out that we are only 20 miles away from the Atlantic International Balloon Fiesta. So, we take a quick jump over to see what's going on.

The balloons only launch early morning/evening, when the air thermoclines are inverting. As such, our late morning arrival puts us looking at an empty field. None the less, this team of misfits can always find something to entertain ourselves.

The town is also known for the murals on the buildings

And as if we aren't addicted to covered bridges, we find two more for this season too!

Back at camp, BMW Canada has shown up. And shown up in style they have. A fleet of F800s which will be doing demo rides all afternoon. Yes, that is right demo rides in the bikes elements. I really think this would be a great idea for them to do in the states!

This rig is pretty much on the road all riding season (May-Sept).

It can hold upto 44 bikes. Today, only 22 F800GS's

Bringing sexy back

After the bikes get a few hundred KMs on the clock, they are rotated out of the demo fleet. Pretty much your chance to drop a perfectly good bike with no damage liability!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
keithmckenney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
made the front page of the FAR site with that photo

Thanks to Dorito and Blaster for a super adventure.

I had a BLAST with Blastoff adventures. My tires got wet and my GS got muddy, real muddy. My TKC80s have perhaps one more trip left in them. My bones have a few more.

My feelings at the end of the adventure ride were captured by someone in this photo posted on the FAR home page (scroll down to picture 4).
http://canadamotorallies.com/category/far
keithmckenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Nice photo!
Old 09-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,077
Keep it coming Dana!
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

The hot dog bet doubles

Not believing that 2 hot dogs is enough to fire up the grill, I happily up the previous ante. Mostly, I've decided our bunch makes for a nice social experiment. We have a candid conversation about the 4-letter type formula according to Carl Jung's and Isabel Briggs Myers' typology. My belief is that Keith is a ENTP type. However, the bet is whether Keith knows if his spouse has taken the test.

The Double tally:
4 dogs to Dorito if Keiths spouse has taken Myers-Brigs
4 dogs to Keiths if his spouse has not taken the test

Take your free test here:

The day ends with a lovely introduction to Rob, our illustrious Rally Master. His a tall gentlemen, with a widely entertaining accent. You know what's coming next right...doubling the hot dog bet!

The final leg of the bet is: Where is Rob's accent from?

The Double Double tally:
8 dogs to Dorito if Rob is from England
8 dogs to Keiths if Rob is from Australia/New Zealand

And that my friends is a lot of hot dogs!