Palomar mtn man down

Could have been bad
EdgeAbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Holy crap

You were extremely lucky to not have been collected by the squid. He simply tucked the front end from to much front brake into the turn. Probably looking in his rear view mirror at his buddy and then realized he was in to hot panicked and stabbed the front brake lever. First off I commend you for not being pissed off and breaking a stick over their silly ass heads. They were not real friendly for sure and I doubt I'd a stopped at all except to go tell his silly ass to take it to a racetrack and be damn lucky he didn't hit me in the process.

One minute your're cruising along and bam out of no where comes a 400+ lb bike and rider at you. That scared the crap out of me when I was watching it. Total disregard of others safety. It was your lucky day, did you go buy a lottery ticket?

That place reminds me of the idiots on the east coast at Deals Gap.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
EdgeAbilly OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
You were extremely lucky to not have been collected by the squid. He simply tucked the front end from to much front brake into the turn. Probably looking in his rear view mirror at his buddy and then realized he was in to hot panicked and stabbed the front brake lever. First off I commend you for not being pissed off and breaking a stick over their silly ass heads. They were not real friendly for sure and I doubt I'd a stopped at all except to go tell his silly ass to take it to a racetrack and be damn lucky he didn't hit me in the process.

One minute your're cruising along and bam out of no where comes a 400+ lb bike and rider at you. That scared the crap out of me when I was watching it. Total disregard of others safety. It was your lucky day, did you go buy a lottery ticket?

That place reminds me of the idiots on the east coast at Deals Gap.
What's crazy is no one else stopped to see if all was well. Yeah 2 feet and I'd be hurting today.. ugh..
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
EdgeAbilly OP
Adventurer

man down at 10:52.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeAbilly View Post
What's crazy is no one else stopped to see if all was well. Yeah 2 feet and I'd be hurting today.. ugh..
Yea I noticed that to.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Palomar is terrible for that I've seen at least one bike down everytime I've went up the hill, I usually stop at the bottom of the south grade to try to get a feel for how many "fast" guys are ripping up and down.

Its a nice little road, I ride out that way frequently.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
EdgeAbilly OP
Adventurer

The ride

Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
The Gobbler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Funny, even before the crash, I was guessing what corner it happened in and I was right. That is RC51 corner. Named for an RC51 that went up in flames, you actually rode right over the burn spot. That is the most dangerous turn on Palomar. I've watched many riders blow that corner, including a watching my friend get taken out by a squid right in front of me. I've also seen many cars blow that corner.

Current bike:
2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Past bikes:
2 97 VFR's,
2001 ZX9R,
2004 ZX10 and 3 (yes 3) 2006 ZX10's
2005 Vee
The Gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

There are two or three of those on the south grade like that. The are easy going up hill but the combination of downhill and decreasing radius make for some tricky maneuvers coming back down.

Black hole comes to mind.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
TurboTagTeam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Typical day on Palomar. People should be aware that this is a common thing there. Know what your getting in to when you ride a motorcycle there.
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTagTeam View Post
Typical day on Palomar. People should be aware that this is a common thing there. Know what your getting in to when you ride a motorcycle there.
Palomar...Ortega...any number of other SoCal roads. We riders are our own worst enemies.

You were indeed lucky there. Glad to have you still round.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
Palomar...Ortega...any number of other SoCal roads. We riders are our own worst enemies.

You were indeed lucky there. Glad to have you still round.
Ortega is scary, its not very tight, so you have to be rolling solid before it gets interesting. Which of course means that if anything goes pear shaped you are going over the side or into a rock wall. Not to mention the joy of coming around a curve at the speed limit to find Granny going 15 mph for no frigging reason. But that doesn't seem to phase the locals at all.

I use it to get between the 5 and the 8 because it makes for a convenient starting point if you are meeting up with riders from SD/OC and LA.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
I used to ride Palomar almost every weekend when I lived in San Diego. I have great memories of that road and hanging out in the parking lot of Mother's Kitchen. Is Mothers Kitchen still there?

Although there were crashes back then (late 80s) I never saw any. I also remember the road being in much better shape than what I saw in the video. There were also never any cops on the mountain back then. They'd write tickets on some of the roads at the bottom of the mountain but never seemed to write any on it. I'm not sure why.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I used to ride Palomar almost every weekend when I lived in San Diego. I have great memories of that road and hanging out in the parking lot of Mother's Kitchen. Is Mothers Kitchen still there?

Although there were crashes back then (late 80s) I never saw any. I also remember the road being in much better shape than what I saw in the video. There were also never any cops on the mountain back then. They'd write tickets on some of the roads at the bottom of the mountain but never seemed to write any on it. I'm not sure why.

I've not seen that many police in the area at all between there and Julian, mostly on the Julian side. Of course I tend to basically dawn patrol to avoid the goofiness.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I've not seen that many police in the area at all between there and Julian, mostly on the Julian side. Of course I tend to basically dawn patrol to avoid the goofiness.
79 just North of Santa Ysabel was a big speed trap. I got nailed for 75 in a 55 but couldn't really complain since 30 seconds earlier I was doing 120+
76 was patrolled too.

Some day I hope to make it back out there but I'll try to ride the area during the week.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote