Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
pdxbrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I live just near Portland and I can't believe these awesome roads are so close to me! Clearly I need to start heading east instead of South. Hopefully this weekend I can get out and try some of of your routes.

Keep up the good work!

Track me on my Delorme Inreach SE

pdxbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Neat pics! And add me to the list of CX500 fans. I borrowed one for a couple weeks way back when and loved it.
Thanks Photog! I never thought there would be even 1 CX fan, much less multiple ...I seriously tried my hardest to pick up a modern bike a couple of
weeks ago (rear disk brake dual front disk brakes monoshock anti dive front suspension <50 hp etc...etc..etc..) but since starting this thread, I have become quite content - stoked even - with my ride. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbrit
I live just near Portland and I can't believe these awesome roads are so close to me! Clearly I need to start heading east instead of South. Hopefully this weekend I can get out and try some of of your routes.

Keep up the good work!

Howdy neighbor! Yeah, I have been really blown away by these roads....as I started to "discover" them I kept thinking..."This looks just like all the cool stuff people post on ADV from 'exotic' locations"..there are times I literally can't believe I'm in The Dalles Yes, definitely make your way over and check it out! PM me if you feel like trying to coordinate something....can't promise anything, as I think my wife has figured out that if left unsupervised, I would do this ALL the time.....
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First Friday in Fall

....and like most, I must work...

At least it'll be Friday, the weather's supposed to be great, and I'm going to instead of the typical carpool. I wanted to get the map up tonight so I could take pics and post some of the am portion of my commute early tomorrow...my workplace is located in the heart of the Gorge, right on the banks of the Columbia and I want to share a little of that too...have a good night! See you bright and oily for the:

Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
What a great area to ride in! Nice CX500 too. Have you ever seen a CX500 or CX650 Turbo?

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
What a great area to ride in! Nice CX500 too. Have you ever seen a CX500 or CX650 Turbo?

Jon

Thanks! I have seen pictures of the turbos, but never ran across one...supposedly they are fire-breathers!!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #21
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Woke up late...

.....and didn't quite get the start I wanted to, but, I got some great pics of my commute..note...I don't like to commute by riding, at least the getting there part...I want to have an open schedule when I go riding, and I missed some seriously awesome shots this morning because I had to get my late ass to work. Also, The Gorge is renowned for it's high winds, and I do mean HIGH. Fighting against 30-40mph winds for 40 miles with blasts of vicious crosswinds does not make for an enjoyable commute in my opinion. Plus, there's cars and trucks out, and I prefer to ride in solitude (as far as traffic...I HATE traffic) as much as possible. It is beautiful nonetheless, so may I present:

"The Worlds Worst Commute Loop"

note - due to my late-assedness I forgot bridge toll for The Bridge of the Gods - therefore, todays commute was all ridden on SR14, not the I-84 return leg as shown on the map.

It was dark this morning

much lighter by the time I made the WA side

sun was almost up

just too awesome, had to stop again

I needed to get 40 miles that way

20 miles down, 20 to go, the next 2 shots are taken from the mouth of the White Salmon River

made it!

work: at least this is the view from my cube

a common sight on the Columbia

another boat that I see quite often

crappy pic, but this is where the stern-wheeler docks

nice of the birdie to pose...

view upriver from the dock

My Good Buddy/Co-worker and his WR250X, lot's o' fun, that bike.

about that wind:

photo session before the ride home

rare reflection shot

bout to head out

el guapo nada screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 11:42 PM
el guapo nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wind mountain, heading east back down SR14

a peak above Drano Lake, see the dilapidated log flume?

1 of the tunnels (there are seven in all)

Mt. Defiance to the west, from the White Salmon River.....hey, I know that boat in the lower right hand corner

Yep, it's my Dad, doing a little salmon fishing. I called him and we chatted for a bit

another Hood shot, not quite as impressive as the a.m. pic, that's my hometown: Hood River.

This was right where I pulled over, when I saw my Dad's boat, never really checked it out before. Hmm...interesting...my last name is Henry, and, this ties in to a ride I am thinking about doing this weekend......

columnar basalt, the bones of The Gorge

I really like this pic

Rowena Crest from WA

Memaloose Island (sacred Indian land)

Iv'e always wanted a train shot like this

almost there

The Klickitats, a little closer

I had to stop a few blocks from my house and get this oddly shaped cloud

Whew! That was a long day for guapo....be back soon with my weekend ventures........
Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #23
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Nice looking bike!

Glad to see I'm not the only one running 705s on a CX.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #24
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

NO way! could be twins, well, I guess they are twins... Thanks - I like how yours is set up too!

Looks like you might have some front suspension uprade?

Wow, uncanny how similar they are....how's your gal run?

young dude at the shop really did not want to sell me a dualsport tire for a CX "waste on that bike"...."it's a tubed tire", thankfully an older wizened guy stepped in and helped me buy the Shinko with confidence...it's been a great tire!

Viva la CX!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #25
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo nada
NO way! could be twins, well, I guess they are twins... Thanks - I like how yours is set up too!
I think yours is in a bit nicer condition.

I highly recommend different bars and risers. The bike is much easier to handle off pavement when you're up on the pegs.

Quote:
Looks like you might have some front suspension uprade?
Nope, just fork boots.

Fork upgrades are on my list of things to look at, as well as trying to lift the rear end up another few inches.

Quote:
Wow, uncanny how similar they are....how's your gal run?
Well enough. I've had to deal with an engine failure, stator & cam chain replacement and various cooling system issues. I'm running an Ignitech CDI to replace the old failed CDI, and aftermarket coils.

Quote:
young dude at the shop really did not want to sell me a dualsport tire for a CX "waste on that bike"...."it's a tubed tire", thankfully an older wizened guy stepped in and helped me buy the Shinko with confidence...it's been a great tire!
Run one in the front too. They've a heavy tire but have caused me no compromises for the riding I do. Good confidence in dirt & gravel and more than enough traction to drag hard parts on pavement.

They're useless in mud though.

(I suspect that has more to do with the weight of the bike though...)
Old 09-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #26
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How long have you had the CX mnd? I have been gleaning advice from the couple of CX forums out there, but could really use some straight-forward tips........was your CDI bad from the get-go or did it fail over time - if the latter, where there any symptoms or did it just quit?

Also, my bike has developed the 5000-6000 RPM stumble....it seems this is a mystery for CX owners....did/does your machine stumble, and if so, did you ever nail down the cause?

I plan on getting new front and rear 705's pretty soon, can't wait!

Thanks, and hope you have a fantastic weekend mnd!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #27
brinboise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Guapo....great RR, well written and even better pics, thank you
brinboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #28
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,166
Howdy Neighbor !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo nada
Thanks, and hope you have a fantastic weekend mnd!
What'r ya doin tomorrow, Sunday, el guapo nada?
Wanna RIDE? Applewife works all day 6am-6:30pm......I'm free

I grew up in The Dalles and I am now just a couple of miles outside Parkdale.

My weather report says 30% chance o' rain here on my side of the hill, but the TD side looks sweet & sunny. I know this sweeeeeet 31 mile off-hiway / dirt two-track shortcut from my side that ends up on Mill Creek Ridge Rd. bordering TD city watershed, then down to Mill Creek Rd, where I grew up. Or another easier (light gravel) route that puts me on Skyline Rd. from FS1728.

Love your pics of the dry side of TD, I don't get out that way often enough these days. I did get out 15 Mile/Petersburg once this year however, and did the little 50-ish mile loop.

My first bike was/is a '84 Shadow VT700. I love the looks of your CX, my bike was just trying to look like something else (cruiser), your CX stands on it's own just fine for sure.

Got my VT in about 2000, with 11k, rode it until 21k, and finally got the absolute bike bug and upgraded. I haven't stopped riding since. I love my bike commute to HR every weekday, my commute is quite a bit better/safer than your commute of highways full of unatentive cages. I've even found a dirt two-track /one lane forest paver addition to mine that only adds three miles, but tons of smiles. Good Therapy on my way to work.

I'll send PM with phone #. Text me, let's ride Sunday !!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinboise
Guapo....great RR, well written and even better pics, thank you
Thanks! I don't know why or how the pics are so good, my formal training consisting of a photography lesson in 6th grade. I think it must be the camera, epic scenery and the CX's innate photogenic properties! Glad your enjoying brinboise, and thanks again for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam
What'r ya doin tomorrow, Sunday, el guapo nada?
Wanna RIDE? Applewife works all day 6am-6:30pm......I'm free

I grew up in The Dalles and I am now just a couple of miles outside Parkdale.

My weather report says 30% chance o' rain here on my side of the hill, but the TD side looks sweet & sunny. I know this sweeeeeet 31 mile off-hiway / dirt two-track shortcut from my side that ends up on Mill Creek Ridge Rd. bordering TD city watershed, then down to Mill Creek Rd, where I grew up. Or another easier (light gravel) route that puts me on Skyline Rd. from FS1728.
Yo yo yo Apple Jam! Sounds like fun! (we have the transverse living arrangements - I grew up near Hanels Mill, and now live in TD) I rode my CRF450X up there a bunch last year...love that area! Yes, I'll give you jingle, I would love hook up for a ride. Don't know what HR looks like today, but it's clear here and supposed to reach 80...I'm going out for a little "history lesson disguised as a motorcycle ride" today. Thanks for checkin out my report I'll be in touch with you....
Old 09-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #30
ebbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Great pictures and good to see that CX being enjoyed again, it looks in good condition but for the seat cover, treat it to a new one, you both deserve it!