Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #31
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo nada
Don't know what HR looks like today, but it's clear here and supposed to reach 80...I'm going out for a little "history lesson disguised as a motorcycle ride" today. Thanks for checkin out my report I'll be in touch with you....
It's nice here today too. I'm supposed to be taking advantage of the good weather and be outside painting my barn. But I got stuck here in Day Trippin' somehow.

Have a good ride today!
Some lunch for me....THEN paintbrush to the grindstone.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #32
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbo
Great pictures and good to see that CX being enjoyed again, it looks in good condition but for the seat cover, treat it to a new one, you both deserve it!
Never have truer words been spoken.....I long to get a new seat cover, but, any $ I have currently goes into "performance" parts....eventually though...eventually.....thanks ebbo!
1978 Honda CX500
el guapo nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #33
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
I need to go back and do some reading, but I just have to say the pics look great!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #34
LeChatNoir
artiste

Oddometer: 139
what a great ride-
America the Beautiful indeed!
LeChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #35
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Aahhhh, just went back and read everything and took another look at the pictures... Great thread! Your CX500 was a great find! I never knew much about those bike until I just did some reasearch on the Wikipiedia site, seems like a cool unique bike.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #36
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Plan B

My plan today was to install a new fuel line/filter, bleed the front brakes and roar off to the east for my next RR......Plan A, although I did not realize it would have to be named thus till later in the day....

It all started simple enough.
I felt there was too much fuel restriction with my current "petcock bypass", which was installed after a fight with the petcock, involving some JB weld which ended badly

It was a simple creation, but I knew I could improve the flow, and thus set out to pick up a few "parts", promising not to spend more then $10

the new "improved bypass"

not quite as sexy unclothed, they are some pretty old bones

That's better...uh...leaking from the L carb fuel drain tube....it might stop if I go for a short ride....right? I had also "discovered" the spark plugs in the bike were the stock 8's. I had found in my earlier rides the 9's worked better..hmmm...must have forgot about them at some point when experimenting....the 9's went back in

Started to ride out to the Dump, but had to turn around after 2 miles or so, the master cylinder was leaking fluid pretty bad...damn, must have put to much fluid in when bleeding. Back to the house...correct brake fluid level, change drain screw gasket (it was still leaking upon my return) and off I go again. Made it to the Dump this time (you can see Mt Adams today!)

Upon my return, the new fuel filter was bone dry. seems there is to sharp of a bend in the line, right before the filter...leaving the tank on, I replaced the aft section with a longer tube, not pretty, but it'll do for now

My master cylinder was still leaky, so I paid a little closer attention to the diaphragm and cap, adjusted the level a little more, and decided to bring a little brake fluid with me, just in case....allright! Ready to go!!!

Fueling...this place serves up a fine Non-Ethanol premium. Shit. I'm leaking again....maybe if I ride a little bit it'll stop.....right?

After a quick buzz up the road, the leak had indeed stopped. Sweet! just enough light left to do this....about 1 mile down I-84, some strap was slapping me in the neck, my undone chin strap assumed...pulled off at The Dalles Dam to check ( it was done, it was a backpack strap) and snap a quick pic......where I also noticed...I'm leaking again! Back to the house we go....

At least the MC wasn't leaking anymore, and after a nice long sit in my driveway there was no evidence of fuel leaking. I bet something hung up my needle jet valve and finally worked through...I really sould pull the carbs again, but I want to wait until I have a gasket set, as mine are barely hanging in the due to the 8 or 9 times I pulled them over the course of the summer

This is when I realized this was Plan A, and now I would have to move on to Plan B.....a quick jaunt around town

Mt Adams from the viewpoint at Sororis park

There's a War memorial at the viewpoint

across the street is another memorial, and Sororis Park

and behind the park is this (Mt Hood)

what a nice background for a ride

the bike had started to run rough, but no leaks at least.....back to the house.... I'm going to take the #9 spark plugs out and try out some 7's. After which, it was dark - but the bike seemed to be running smooth again, still no leaks...so, hope I'm good to go...Apple Jam and I are going out for a spin tomorrow.....Good Night!
1978 Honda CX500
Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #37
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
How long have you had the CX mnd? I have been gleaning advice from the couple of CX forums out there, but could really use some straight-forward tips........was your CDI bad from the get-go or did it fail over time - if the latter, where there any symptoms or did it just quit?
Started running poorly then quit. I had questionable coils & spark plug caps which I believe contributed to the CDI going bad. (Every spark impulse sent by the CDI MUST find a path to ground, or it does bad things to the CDI.)

Quote:
Also, my bike has developed the 5000-6000 RPM stumble....it seems this is a mystery for CX owners....did/does your machine stumble, and if so, did you ever nail down the cause?
What is the AC voltage you're seeing from the blue and white alternator wires? Under the seat you should have three connectors - a big connector (for the CDI), one with 3 yellow wires (AC voltage from the stator for the rectifier/regulator) and one with a blue and a white wire. (AC voltage for running the CDI.)

You want a minimum of 90VAC on the white and 100VAC on the blue when cranking the bike (ignition off, just use the starter to turn the engine over.)

The CDI bikes have a low and high speed ignition winding (so the bike will run with a dead battery.) If your high speed coil is going bad you may see stumbling when the CDI switches from the low to the high (around 5000 rpm.)

Another thing to check is the spark plug connectors. See this writeup.

Regardless, if you're still running the original CDI then you're on borrowed time. You'll want to check out cx500forum.com and see when the next Ignitech group buy is. I believe the guy who runs them was recently involved in a get-off so I'm not sure when he's planning on doing another buy.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #38
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935

I am in! Enjoyed the posts so far. Love that area of OR/WA. I still have an aunt that lives in Wenatchee; her son lives outside of Vancouver, WA.

Join us if you haven't already over at cx500forums.com I recently got the Ignitech module (pre-programmed for the CX) from the recent group buy. It does improve the ignition issues. Plus there is plenty of info on the bikes that is shared amongst us owners. The '78 standard is also my favorite model.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #39
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

@ wnd...Thanks! Looks like I am going to have to get a new CDI at some point...I am planning on dropping the engine this winter and doing the Stator/Waterpump seal, so I'll do the CDI/coils at the same time....Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGBrian

I am in! Enjoyed the posts so far. Love that area of OR/WA. I still have an aunt that lives in Wenatchee; her son lives outside of Vancouver, WA.

Join us if you haven't already over at cx500forums.com I recently got the Ignitech module (pre-programmed for the CX) from the recent group buy. It does improve the ignition issues. Plus there is plenty of info on the bikes that is shared amongst us owners. The '78 standard is also my favorite model.
Thanks to you too RAGBrian!! I haven't joined the CX500 forum yet, when I was checking it out over the summer, the site seemed to be having problems...at any rate, glad to hear from another '78 CX owner, and thanks for checking out my RR's.

I have a couple new reports done (the riding part), will be posting them up soon....
1978 Honda CX500
Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #40
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
@ wnd...Thanks! Looks like I am going to have to get a new CDI at some point...I am planning on dropping the engine this winter and doing the Stator/Waterpump seal, so I'll do the CDI/coils at the same time....Thanks again!
Since you've got a 78, be aware that the correct mechanical seal is NLA and the replacement part has a larger diameter metal "cup" than what you have now.

The part you want is: Yamaha 11H-12438-10-00.

Since the metal "cup" part of your mechanical seal is likely just fine I suggest you use the "in bike seal replacment" method which avoids removing the existing cup. Otherwise you'll need to somehow ream out the rear cover to accept the slightly larger seal cup.

Since you'll have the rear cover off you may as well replace the gear selector shaft seal and the output shaft seal (as well as the oil seal that is behind the mechanical seal.

It would make sense to inspect the cam chain and tensioner while you're in there. Once you've dropped the engine a dozen times a cam chain/tensioner replacement isn't a huge time sink but better you take care of it when it's easy.

(I think it took me an hour and a half total...)

If you plan on using the Ignitech you can upgrade your stator to a 250W G7 stator (check Wemoto.)
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #41
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935
el guapo,

Yes the ChopperCharles/CX500 forum board experienced a hiccup; the host provider wouldn't support the forum software anymore, so the forum board was rebuilt. Fortunately all of the old posts were archived and saved.All is working well now!
So far my mechanical seals are OK, and the Yamaha part looks to do the trick. Plus, it's way cheaper than the same part by Honda! There are write ups on how to do on the other boards (CX500 & Shep's).

Since my mid section of the motor is from an '82 parts bike I bought, I now have the automatic chain tension function instead. Next time I drop the engine, I will swap out the old stator I have with the '82 stator for some extra electrical energy!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #42
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This Weekend.....

....I hooked up with inmate Apple Jam, who grew up in The Dalles and we went on a little ride together. (sorry for the late posting A.J., I ran into "technical difficulties" of the sort we talked about) A.J is a wealth of knowledge on the local history, and I learned alot on our trip, he's also a heck of nice guy. Thanks for everything A.J.!

I have taken the liberty of mapping out the route we took (still within the 50 mile diameter), and since I will probably have more Sunday rides like this, I have not given it a clever name, just a date. May I present:

We met here, and decided a general direction to go.

on top of the ridge

Mt Hood was engulfed in a front, which we would skirt, getting a little rain, and some brief hail

the 1st run down shack

the 2nd run down shack - about 50 yds off the road, A.J. knew where it was..

nice find Apple!

pretty soon the forest changed to this:

this view was incredible, the pic does no justice

my improvised wheel weights

Fret Creek

Jordan Creek Valley

Lunch Time...I had brought some left-over Chinese...A.J. wasn't letting that happen...he threw down!

Frickin' YUMMMM!!!!!

probably my favorite pic from this trip

Badger Creek

Bonney Crossing Campground

Fuel stop...Non-Ehtanol,Thank You! This is where Apple Jam gave me a sip of the Orange kool-aid. MMMMmmmm....

Brrrrrrr

In front of the Forest Service building in Dufur, where Apple Jam and I said our goodbyes....I hope this is the first of many rides with him.....Thanks again A.J!
1978 Honda CX500
Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #43
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Forbidden Fruit Loop

...I have been thinking about this ride for a few days, and I am glad I finally got out to do it. I actually wrote the next part last week, and find it funny, because I ended up proving myself wrong in a way:

This ride is not one of my regular routes, in fact, it is not a route at all – it is a visit to see a road I have not ridden yet, because I cannot. I wanted to interject it here, though, because:
1: It lays within my playground….so temptingly close….
2: It has great significance to the roads around here.
3: There is some serious history along the way that merits its own mention (in my humble opinion)
4: The scenery is…well, you’ll see
4: It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to…..

First, some mappage:

a closer look

Then some history:

(from http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/loops.html)

Good roads are more than my hobby, they are my religion.
—Sam Hill

Constructed from 1909 to 1913 by Samuel Hill (1857–1931), founder of Maryhill Museum of Art, Maryhill Loops Road is located off Washington Scenic Route 14 just east of U.S. 97. As the first macadam asphalt-paved road in the Pacific Northwest, it served as the only road between the Columbia River and Goldendale, Washington prior to the construction of U.S. 97. The historic Maryhill Loops was a part of a larger road that encompassed several miles over which seven different experimental roads were constructed.

The road itself ascends 850 feet in a series of curves with a gradient of ascent at 5%. In 1998, a 3.6 mile section of the road was completely refurbished and received the Outstanding Project of Historical Significance Award from the American Public Works Association, Washington State Chapter. It consists of 25 curves, 8 of which are hairpins.

from the air: photo by Sam Beebe

(from wikipedia)

The Maryhill Loops Road was an experimental road in south central Washington, United States, built by good roads promoter Samuel Hill with the help of engineer and landscape architect Samuel C. Lancaster, climbing the Columbia Hills from theColumbia River and Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway to his planned Quaker utopian community at Maryhill, Washington. Built in 1911 as the first asphalt road in the state, and bypassed by the present U.S. Route 97 after World War II, the road achieved low grades with horseshoe curves. The design became the model for the Figure-Eight Loops on the Historic Columbia River Highway in Oregon, designed by Lancaster several years later.[1] The road is now owned by the Maryhill Museum of Art.
The road is closed to public motor vehicle traffic but is open to pedestrians and bicycles. The Maryhill Museum of Art rents use of the road for private events by automobile, motorcycle, bicycling, and skateboarding clubs. The yearly ISGA World Cup Series longboarding event is held there.[2]

......This road was used to help build the Rowena Loops - my first ride of this thread.....

Can we get going already??

I-84 is scenic, just full of semi's and subaru's

I couldn't take it, not when there is a much less traveled road parallelling the highway. took the Celilo Village Exit and drove into Biggs on the old highway.

I call your bluff....

pretty soon, these things start popping up

almost to SR14, an extra-wide trailer was plugging up the "pass", so I pulled over and snapped a pic of Stonehenge from a distance

I then decided to ride to the bottom of the Maryhill Loops, I had never been there before, and I was sure I would find some sort of historical info-signs...Then I would buzz up the highway and get a shot of the bike in front of the loops from above.

As I rode up to the loops, I saw the sign for the parking lot, and lo-and-behold, there was a hay-truck just heading up, so I patiently got behind him and meandered my way to what I what I thought was the parking lot. Hmmm I thought to myself, that was a gate we just passed through, and so far I'm not seeing any parking, and by golly, I think, yes, yes, I'm ON the Maryhill loops road!! I just sort of meander, waiting to see if My new buddy the haytruck would pull over, or something....but no, he didn't seem to mind my presence...I followed, until he did stop - because if his other haytruck buddies....

I turned the bike around, not wanting to push my luck, snapped a a couple photos, took a few more on the way down (I only made it up 4 corners) and just tried to soak up the road, and feeling as much as possible. It was a special little moment in time for me.

I saw this sign, and I obeyed it...

I just didn't see this sign, besides, I was helping the haytrucks..

Thanks haypeople!

Maryhill Museum

These signs are along a nice interpretive walk on the edge of the Museum grounds (read: no people, just bees)

more......
1978 Honda CX500

el guapo nada screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 09:48 AM
Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #44
deaninkl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I had a CX same colour, my first new bike ever, was in 1979. Looks like you have great roads there. Love the pictures to.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #45
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Now I want to ride up there... So I can ride!