User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #61
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
6000 Miles on Sunday!

...I had made a goal earlier this year that I would ride 6000 miles in my first season of riding on the road. After injuring my back in late August, I thought I wouldn't make it. Thanks to starting this thread, and starting to learn to "take it easy" I ticked off mile 6000 yesterday It was also one, if not the funnest ride of the year...simply because my wife joined me... ...I was very impressed, as the first "attempt" it started raining. Hard. We seemed to be riding directly into the storm, so.... I made our way back home, I did not have rain pants on, and figured "great, now she's probably traumatized and won't go out again", but, much to my surprise and delight...she had fun! Rain and all....might be the homemade sissy bar I made just for this, but it seemed she really, truly enjoyed herself!! After getting dry and donning rain-gear, we headed back out.......

a new addition...not so pretty, but oh so free.....

Yay! I made it to the East Coast and back.....(in mileage).......

and it was that much sweeter thanks to....

we were going to get some chinese food downtown, and I couldn't help but stop and get some pics

One of the many murals downtown

Iv'e been told this is the oldest building in The Dalles, but I don't know for sure....

did I mention the murals here?? these are all at one intersection downtown

That was a fantastic Sunday....and I want to thank my wife for sharing it with me.......
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #62
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
That was a fantastic Sunday....and I want to thank my wife for sharing it with me.......
And once again, thanks for sharing with us.

There's a town west of Edmonton (Stony Plain, Alberta) that's done that. The whole downtown center is murals on most buildings which depict their history.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #63
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta
And once again, thanks for sharing with us.

There's a town west of Edmonton (Stony Plain, Alberta) that's done that. The whole downtown center is murals on most buildings which depict their history.
My pleasure....One of these days I'm going to do a "Historical Downtown The Dalles" (that's what they call it) ride. Glad your still checking this thread out!

I went for a little evening cruise last night, really wasn't planning on anything, but I took the camera along, good thing as the setting sun was breathtaking....I decided on the fly to do a little loop I like, and realized I hadn't shown this ride yet...the first and last part, I've covered in earlier rides (The Dump Run and 15 Mile Loop), but the little middle chunk (5 Mile) is a very cool road that I ride regularly.

I stopped here because there was a little chunk of rainbow just above the hill on the right, it doesn't appear here, but I was able to get a blurry close up..

I stopped here, because the scene quite literally stunned me

hard to capture it, 'specially looking right into the sun...

Right at the turn-off to PLeasant Ridge Rd., the next couple miles are gravel....

if you look close, you can see the little sliver of moon

please excuse the similiar pics, I just couldn't stop taking pictures, the light was so interesting,....

one of my favorite photo spots

walk down the road a bit, and this pops into view to the north

Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #64
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
More!
Love the vintage ride reports
RussellH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #65
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellH
More!
Love the vintage ride reports
Thanks! Cool....glad your enjoying it Russell....I have one more ride that I was able to pull off before the sog and greyness settled in.....will be posting it up soon....
Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #66
Shawn595
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Fantastic ride report!

Love the pictures of the CX500 with the landscape in the background. Thanks for posting.

-Shawn
Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #67
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo nada
a new addition...not so pretty, but oh so free.....

Funny....I am thinking about getting something like this for Maggie. It was really kinda chilly riding today, and a windshield seems like just the ticket for this winter. I like the "engineered" mounts using hole straps!

Enjoying the reports, and I want to get back to Oregon and ride out in your area sometime. The last time I did any thing on 2 wheels in Oregon was in '87, on a bicycle, down and up the Willamette Valley, from Portland down to Silver Falls State Park one week, and from Astoria back to Portland after cycling from Wenatchee to Seattle/Tacoma/Fort Washington at the mouth of the Columbia River.

If you know the make and model of that shield, let us know. It looks like the ones I have been looking at online and it's fits around the nacelle just fine.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #68
el guapo nada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

@ Shawn - My pleasure....Thank YOU for checking it out1

@ RAGBrian - the make of the windshield (as far as I can tell) is Silhouette (it came with the bike when I bought it, hence the "custom" mounts), must be a rather old company as not very much comes up when searched...I actually have "customized" mine some more - cut about a foot and a half off the top - I didn't like 1: the feeling of the bike pushing the windshield and 2: I had a horrible time seeing through it if it was too dark; too bright; or wet. The way it is now still shields my hands,my torso and my legs, and if need be (at higher speeds) I can lean over the gas-tank for full coverage. Good luck in finding one! If I run across one, I'll let you know...and if you make it to OR, and are gonna be in my neck of the woods, let me know...we'll go for a
Old 11-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #69
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo nada
Thanks troutwhisperer....do you really know how to whisper to them fishies??
Only the fat-finned trouser trout.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote