User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
HayDuchessLives OP
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,122
Denali Highway RR - Sept. 17-19, 2010

Im starting this thread so ride participants can post their individual photos and comments. The riders included: myself, RackemCrackem and JustinConsistent; SuperCrumpet, her BF John and friend Ali (on a Harley - that guy can ride!); ADVBMR and his friend Dave; and Hobo. We met a couple other riders from Anchorage, Perky Puffin and Guy, who rode up through Glennallen, but they were not part of our group. I rode with Rackem and Justin and it was a small, fun, LIVELY group who rode hard and laughed hard and I was sure sorry to have to end the ride.

Ride recap: On Friday, Sept. 17, different groups of riders left Anchorage and headed north to ride the Denali Highway with a loose plan to meet at Tangle Lakes on Saturday evening, spending Friday night in and around Cantwell and Brushkana Creek campgroun. Saturday morning the different groups individually made their way towards Tangle Lakes, enjoying riding more than 120 miles on fun dirt roads in the Alaskan backcountry, traversing a small portion of the mighty Alaska Range.

We were blessed with bluebird skies, colorful fall foliage, crystal-clear views of Denali and the Alaska Range and warm temperatures during the day! On Sunday morning the various groups packed up and rode back over the Denali Highway to Cantwell and back home. Unfortunately there was one bad accident and, not surprisingly, a few bike problems.

Thanks to those who came along for the ride and fun camaraderie! Feel free to post your photos when you find time.

HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
HayDuchessLives OP
Loquita

Valdez Creek Crossing

Here are a few photos of Justin crossing a creek on the Valdez Creek Road, accessed right past the Susitna River Bridge.

(Justin - PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the photos in high-res.)

Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
HayDuchessLives OP
Loquita

Hill Climbing - KLR Style

JustinConsistent really impressed me with his gung-ho attitude and his unerring ability to "go find trouble." RackemCrackem, Justin and I explored the Valdez Creek road, right past the Susitna River bridge, and Justin decided he wanted to try riding his KLR UP a mountain, on a wicked, gnarly ATV trail.

Rackem and I didn't want to ride OUR bikes up the trail, but I encouraged Justin to go for it and offered to take photos to document his bravery. Justin tried twice and couldn't make it up the "crux" of the trail, a steep section covered basically with very-fine, ground-up dirt (silt) and good-sized rocks, but he sure gave it a heck of a try!

These photos show the start of the trail. After the high point in the photo the trail goes way up the side of a steep mountain.

None of the photos show the true steepness of the trail, but I slipped on it while walking up to get in position for photo-taking.

Justin stops to contemplate the trail up ahead of him...

Justin riding uphill - first try

Justin tried riding up again and just couldn't do it, but he wants to try again, after changing out his sprocket and with new tires. I learned to be careful when he says he's ready to "go look for trouble!"

Here's a view of the Susitna Valley drainage.

Here's a view of the valley the Valdez Creek trail goes through.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
HayDuchessLives OP
Loquita

Four riders down! (only 1 serious)

I'm not sure if the Kali Durga DR struck again or not, but four riders "went down" on this ride. There were also some miscellaneous problems with some of the bikes and the car that went on the ride. ADVBMR was cursing me early Saturday a.m., but my lovely DR and I are completely innocent and hadn't even seen him or his bike!

Here's the first victim. RackemCrackem couldn't control his fly and tumbled in the bushes.

Justin went down in a dusty blaze of glory while attempting his brave hill climb! I have more respect for KLRs after seeing his enjoyment of off-road riding and trouble seeking.

ADVBMR learned the hard way not to call my lovely DR "butt ugly" and claim she and I can only ride 15 Km/hr. He learned we can ride pretty darn hard and fast (at least 16.5 km).

And here's Hobo, whose obstinate, naughty bike dumped him in the mud. He's trying out his Halloween costume to wear to Movie Night at Barb's - wearing Spongebob Squarepants headgear. Maybe that's a new ATGATT style!

I'm posting these photos in the hopes that TomS will find creative inspiration with one or two of these photos, instead of my table dancing photos. (Hint hint Tom!)

HayDuchessLives screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 01:06 PM
Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 395
I'll have you know that I only fell into the bushes because Hayduchess was yanking on one end of my tent fly!

It was great to meet some excellent riders on the trip...JustinConsistent with his mad KLR skilz, the lovely Supercrumpet and her dreamy Barbie bike, Ali the superhero on an ElectraGlide, Perky Puffin with her dirty girl f650GS, Guy who flies his DL1000 like an airliner, the tough as nails and sharp as a whip ADVBeemer, Alcan Rider with his amazing trailer towing skills and of course, Hobo, who crashes with the best of them and laughs while being splinted!

It was an amazing and memorable weekend on the beautiful roads of Alaska thanks to everyone who shared part or all of the trip.

Rackemcrackem screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 08:59 PM
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
JustInconsistent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives
ADVBMR learned the hard way not to call my lovely DR "butt ugly" and claim she and I can only ride 15 Km/hr. He learned we can ride pretty darn hard and fast (at least 16.5 km).

You left out the escalation of events!

No, ADVBMR wasn't proposing. I believe he was asking to be forgiven for his comments. What a nice gesture! I wonder how it will be received?

That's nice, apology accepted. She's going to help him up. . .

. . . or not.

Have I told you, HayDutchess, how beautiful and fast your DR is?

Please don't hurt me, please don't hurt me, please don't hurt me. . . . .
Old 09-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
JustInconsistent
Gnarly Adventurer

Favorite Pics

Here is some of my favorite scenery from that awesome ride.

I bet HayDutchess has better copy of this than mine, want to share that with us?

Here's HayDutchessLives, RackemCrackem, and ADVBMR on the Susitna River just after ADVBMR caught up to. . . wait a minute! Whose DR is that up front?

Here's that road we took to that place where we did that thing with those people. I'm glad it ended well.

And my dream home!

JustInconsistent screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 02:56 PM
JustInconsistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
JustInconsistent
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Water anyone?

Quote:
. . . . crossing a creek on the Valdez Creek Road, accessed right past the Susitna River Bridge.

Here are my best shots of RackemCrackem making that same crossing look easy. Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of his best work, an awesome crossing on McClaren River Road. (Really, they call it a road!)

This is Ali with his Harley. I wish I had pics, but he made this same crossing too. What a rider! After going from the Cantwell side to Paxson for the night, his plan was to ride back to Anchorage. Sure enough, like a true ADV Rider, he pulled up Sunday morning out of the blue, opting for 100 miles of dirt instead of all that boring old pavement.

He's an inmate here, he just doesn't know it yet.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
HayDuchessLives OP
Loquita

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinConsistent
You left out the escalation of events!

No, ADVBMR wasn't proposing. I believe he was asking to be forgiven for his comments. What a nice gesture!

Have I told you, HayDutchess, how beautiful and fast your DR is?
Hey JustinContinent:

Wow - the above would be a "dream" proposal! An intelligent, adventure-loving man on his knees while we're both decked out in riding gear, riding our bikes through the Alaskan wilderness. Ahhhh.... what every dirt-loving, single gal can only hope for.

I'm glad you demonstrated your intelligence by recognizing how beautiful and fast (for a Grandmother) my DR is. I'm sure your awesome KLR will continue to perform admirably for you, even if we go on future rides together. Did you happen to hug my bike for good luck, like AKCharlie recently did?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
ColininKodiak
(not in Kodiak)

Oddometer: 713
Dang, I wish I had more notice of this ride. I was going to take some time off for a fall ride up north, but I think it's too late now and we are losing our ferry service for six weeks. Looks like I'll have to do a spring ride since it may be my last AK riding season.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,316
Hey Amy, my best Denali Hiway camp spot is near your "dream home" ... just a bit down hill from there is a trail that leads to where Valdz creek hits the Big Su.... there is a low ridge there that has a 180 degree view of the Su all the way up to the glaciers.

The creek crossing pics are prolly Clear Creek, Valdez Cr is the one in the gully on the way up the valley.

Wish I could have gone with.... mebby next time.
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
HayDuchessLives OP
Loquita

Scenic photos part 1

We played tourist on our way up to Cantwell, enjoying the sunshine and stopping to take photos!

Here's the requisite photo of the start of the ride. L to R: HayDuchess, JustinConsistent and RackemCrackem riding two DRs and one KLR.

We stopped at a scenic overlook to get photos of Denali. In the group photo the mountain got washed out, so I included a photo of myself with Denali in the background.

The fall colors were past their prime, but were still beautiful!

Here are a couple views of our campground at Brushkana Creek. It's hard to see the moon rising in the trees behind us, but it's there!

JustinCompetent brings an interesting bucket to use as a stool on his trips.

I traced a smiley face in the thick frost on my windshield!

The Alaska/Hayes Range was sparklingly clear and we enjoyed stunning views with few clouds and warm temps.

The guys are riding across the Susitna River bridge.

These are two great guys to ride with, but so far I've been lucky and met quite a few great guys, and gal, to ride with in this group. I sure appreciate the friendship and mentorship!!! I'm still surprised at how much I love riding as I've pretty much been a non-motorized recreation enthusiast my whole life. But I still enjoy my more-arduous activities and still want to backpack 150 miles across the northern side of the Hayes Range next year.

More photos to follow....
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
HayDuchessLives OP
Loquita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer
Hey Amy, The creek crossing pics are prolly Clear Creek, Valdez Cr is the one in the gully on the way up the valley.
Thanks for the info. I was just going by what SuperCrumpet told me and it's been awhile since she has been back there. I do this ride every fall so hopefully you can join me next year!

Colin - come to ANC this weekend and ride on the Petersville Road with SuperCrumpet and I. You know you'll have fun with us!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
ColininKodiak
(not in Kodiak)

Oddometer: 713
Quote:

Colin - come to ANC this weekend and ride on the Petersville Road with SuperCrumpet and I. You know you'll have fun with us!
I'd like to but I have to work as usual.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #15
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,506
Sure looks like another one of your many GREAT trips!

Glad you all had such a good time, cept poor ol hobo of course.

Thanks for sharing, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote