User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Ohlins cartridges for F800GS

They're real. They're for sale. They look to possibly be the best. Only they're $1800!!

http://twalcomusa.com/ohlins-ttx-car...0gs-p-807.html

http://www.twalcom.com/frame.php?key...A/SUQ9MTI4OA==

Quote:
This brand needs no introduction - Öhlins suspension and shock absorbers are considered the world's best.
The pressurized cartridge Öhlins TTX was created expressly for the World Off-Road Racing Series and has been chosen by riders in the most grueling races imaginable.
This exclusive kit is designed specifically for the F800GS forks to ensure maximum performance. External adjustment of spring preload, hydraulic compression and rebound make the Öhlins TTX the ultimate suspension system available for the F800GS. The Ohlins TTX cartridges also provide excellent comfort, road holding and braking stability, contributing decisively to safer driving. In addition to this, the full rebuildability of each element ensures maximum continuity of performance over time.
The Ohlins TTX is different because it has two coaxial cylindrical bodies - one inside of the other. In the inner slides a piston and the oil is forced by this to come out in the external chamber. At the crossing between the two chambers are two valves, calibrated specifically to the rider. In addition to this, the Ohlins TTX dual chamber design keeps the temperature of oil static, ensuring linear operation of the suspension even after many hours of use under stress.
The kit comes with cartridges, clear assembly instructions, and stickers. TTX cartridge assembly requires an alteration to the bottom of the fork. The processing makes the irreversible mounting of the original cartridge.
TTX Cartridge Kit is delivered with calibration and the spring load tailored to customer needs. When ordering, please include your weight (with and without gear) riding style (aggressive, moderate, etc.), percentages on/off road, and how frequently you ride with luggage in the order notes.
They're completely serviceable and rebuild-able, which is a plus especially for $1800. However, the kit requires an "alteration" to the bottom of the forks. Is this an alteration I can get done anywhere? And will the "alteration" cost another $300?

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Yikes, that's a lot of cashish!! I was hoping they'd be 2 fork legs swaps. You swap the stock fork legs for the Ohlins. The alteration of the bottom of the fork legs doesn't look like something I'd want to do at home, is there any info on their site as to who's supposed to do the machining of the fork leg?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,791
Ohlins. Never again.

That's just me, though.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Yikes, that's a lot of cashish!!
Yeah, but there's stickers in the kit
Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
That has got to be one of the sexiest things I have seen for sale for this bike... Guess I have something new to save for!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,157
Sweet.

With the incredible transformation that the Ohlins' rear shock and front springs did to my bike, I can only imagine how much these would help in addition.

There's other suspension companies out there, but only one with the experience, resume, and reputation of the gold Ohlins'...
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for, and while most of us wont front the cash for these, it's nice to know I have the choice if I deemed it a priority.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

I'm willing to save up for these only if the "alteration" is doable for cheap locally. I'm assuming the "alteration" is to drill and tap the bottom of the fork legs to accept the end of the damping rod. (Pic 2 above)
Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I'm willing to save up for these only if the "alteration" is doable for cheap locally. I'm assuming the "alteration" is to drill and tap the bottom of the fork legs to accept the end of the damping rod. (Pic 2 above)
OK Griz, go find out and report back to us!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
With the incredible transformation that the Ohlins' rear shock and front springs did to my bike, I can only imagine how much these would help in addition.

There's other suspension companies out there, but only one with the experience, resume, and reputation of the gold Ohlins'...
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for, and while most of us wont front the cash for these, it's nice to know I have the choice if I deemed it a priority.

Öhlins has a good name in racing, but definitely not for holding up in long distance traveling. From reading lots of reports on the HUBB most bikes equipped with them on long trips seem to blow their shocks, break off the clevises, etc at some point (or more than once). Maybe things have improved recently, how many miles do you have on yours?

I have also heard good things about the TTX cartridges from a few KTM racers, but of course that doesn't say anything about the F800 specific setup. For the money they better work well, I have less than that into my WP front end upgrade with hicker and stiffer 48mm tubes, 30mm axle, custom valving for my riding, etc.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,051
Just received instructions for the modifications. Posted here:

http://twalcomusa.com/articles/Ohlin...ifications.pdf

** WARNING! WARNING! 2MB PDF File Link! **
Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Öhlins has a good name in racing, but definitely not for holding up in long distance traveling. From reading lots of reports on the HUBB most bikes equipped with them on long trips seem to blow their shocks, break off the clevises, etc at some point (or more than once). Maybe things have improved recently, how many miles do you have on yours?

I don't know about the longevity of the GS Ohlins', only 13,000 brutal miles on my rear shock, but my two Ohlins' shocks on my R have about 40,000 hard miles on them, never had a problem, though I can feel it's time for a rebuild.

I don't over load my bike though.

I'm quite certain there's many high milage Beemers riding around with Ohlins'.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe
OK Griz, go find out and report back to us!
Thank Rob for doing it.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob
Just received instructions for the modifications. Posted here:

http://twalcomusa.com/articles/Ohlin...ifications.pdf

** WARNING! WARNING! 2MB PDF File Link! **
Thanks Rob for the info! Doesn't seem like as bad of an alteration as I thought.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
mcdirtnap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
anyone got these yet on an f800gs???

or the people who've invested in bitubo or wp, think those are more cost efficient than ohlins?

ohlins does look nice and shiny, but id rather get something that holds up in the long run for long trips carrying lots of stuff mostly on road, and would greatly appreciate any advice.

joe
mcdirtnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #15
ducpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdirtnap
anyone got these yet on an f800gs???

or the people who've invested in bitubo or wp, think those are more cost efficient than ohlins?

ohlins does look nice and shiny, but id rather get something that holds up in the long run for long trips carrying lots of stuff mostly on road, and would greatly appreciate any advice.

joe
Race Tech has a fully adjustable set of cartriges as well... if you want the Bitubo units I have less than 1000 miles on a set if you decide to go that way. I'd pull them in a heartbeat to buy an adjustable set of Ohlins or Race Tech.

The bitubo are ok but...
ducpilot is offline   Reply With Quote