Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #196
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Just got off the phone with Gary at the service department at Ohlins USA. He told me that the FGK kit advertised on thier website is the exact same kit as the NIX. It just seems as if they are officially anouncing its release, and that all of the NIX kits fit under the FGK lable as well. I wasnt quite sure a I may be miss quoting the details.

The one thing that I found out for sure is that there is no new kit, it is the same as the NIX that lots of people have already installed. $18xx.00 Bummer...

Ryan
Hey,

I haven't been able to locate FGK's on Ohlins' site - just the rear shock and springs showing for f8gs. Linky?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #197
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Hey,

I haven't been able to locate FGK's on Ohlins' site - just the rear shock and springs showing for f8gs. Linky?
Link to announcement

However, Gary said that it was the same NIX kit that everybody on here is using (MT Rider, Chitown)

Ryan
Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #198
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Link to announcement

However, Gary said that it was the same NIX kit that everybody on here is using (MT Rider, Chitown)

Ryan
Thanks and gotcha. I misread an early post and was thinking they'd dropped the price to something I might not be able to resist. Who am I kidding - it's just a matter of time.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 03:10 PM
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #199
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Thanks and gotcha. I misread an early post and was thinking they'd dropped the price to something I might not be able to resist. :loll Who am I kidding - it's just a matter of time.

Yea, that got me excited too, oh well, one day....

Ryan
Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #200
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
NIX review

So I have had my NIX fork cartridges about a week now and have had an opportunity to test them out. I rode them on several routes I ride routinely so I felt I could better judge how the bike responded. Prior to this I was running the Hyperpro springs front and rear. I did think the Hyperpros were superior to the stock setup but the NIX is an order of magnitude better. I guess the best was to describe it is that the bike feels way more planted on the ground.
My riding areas are mainly dirt and rocks with very little sand. With the Ohlins, I found I was riding faster. Sections I routinely run at 30, I was going 40. This may not be such a great thing on a bike this size.
The bike just locks into lines and absorbs hits much better. I also noted I could sit more and still feel in control. I changed out the rear to an Ohlins shock at the same time and I am also running a Scotts damper so I am sure that the combo factors into the overall feel.
Thus far I have done virtually no tweaking on the stock settings. I think Kyles got the forks set up just about right for my weight (190 with gear) and riding style. I have moderate level dirt skills at best but I do try to push it a bit. I would definitely recommend Kyle's racing if you want this mod. My turn around was about a week total and their customer service and work was all top notch.
I am sure I will end up playing around more with the settings but for now I am just so blown away by how much better the bike feels that I am just stoked to go ride. It is a large sum of cash, and if my focus had been primarily pavement, I'm not sure I would have done it. But if you want to ride a little harder in the dirt, I believe this is a fantastic mod.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #201
elemji
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi Guys
I am a new inmate, but not new to this forum. I had to register to wake this awsome thread up. Why has it gone dormant anyway? I want to see more reviews of the Ohlins cartridge.
I live in Sweden, and I have been bugging the Ohlins people for two Years now. They have a booth at the annual Adventure Days event, where they show their products and help participants with their suspention settings. My point beeing, seeing as Ohlins is a Swedish company, I shouldn't have to send my fork to USA or Italy to have a Ohlins cartridges installed. This Year, my prayers were finally answered! They even brought a mule, a fully Ohlins kitted F800GS Triple Black, so that everyone intrested could go for a proper test ride in offroad conditions. GREAT!
The prototype cartridge of Ohlins Sweden seemed to be pretty much the same as the US solution, based on NIX technology. It is said to be put in production this fall and the price in Sweden is estimated at 11500SEK which at current rate corresponds to 1730$

The guys I have been pestering since 2010, pic no 58
http://www.adventuredays.se/bilder.a...t-2011&lang=en

The Mule, pics 46-49
http://www.adventuredays.se/bilder.a...g-2012&lang=en

elemji screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 04:31 AM
elemji is offline   Reply With Quote