Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #46
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Did he mention why the need for the professional install by them? I'd be interested in this setup as an alternative to the other Ohlins one if I could do it myself. Is there machining involved as in the other setup? Shipping the forks across the border and back will add a significant amount of cost and hassle to the job. That would leave me to consider the other option which I can do myself with the only need being to find a machine shop to modify the bottom hole.
He didn't mention why, only that that's the way it is. The Ohlins USA setup requires install by Ohlins USA in North Carolina. The Ohlins Sweden setup does not require professional installation, though both kits require the same machining of the bottom fork cap for install. If you want to install yourself, I'd recommend going with the Ohlins Sweden setup and ordering from Twalcom.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #47
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
He didn't mention why, only that that's the way it is. The Ohlins USA setup requires install by Ohlins USA in North Carolina. The Ohlins Sweden setup does not require professional installation, though both kits require the same machining of the bottom fork cap for install. If you want to install yourself, I'd recommend going with the Ohlins Sweden setup and ordering from Twalcom.
yeah what ive been thinking... seems easier...
Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #48
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
yeah what ive been thinking... seems easier...
Yah, the small difference in price would be eaten up and then some having to ship the forks out.

Thanks for the heads up.
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #49
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Hey, when you guys are placing your order you should add on a set for me!

(man are these cartridges pricey)
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #50
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Hey, when you guys are placing your order you should add on a set for me!

(man are these cartridges pricey)
I'll have to wait for my tax refund before I decide if I'm even ordering a set for me. Unless you were offering to do the paying if I do the ordering.
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #51
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
I'll have to wait for my tax refund before I decide if I'm even ordering a set for me. Unless you were offering to do the paying if I do the ordering.
Tax return for me too! Only I think it'll be going towards a Scotts steering damper.

I've got the Hyperpro progressive springs front and rear and Hyperpro 10w oil up front. It's light years better than stock. Good enough for what I use the F8 for. I think I'll drill and tap the fork top caps and add some speed bleeders at some point though. Reports are that they help immensely.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #52
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
Öhlins USA is thrilled to announce the new FGK Front Fork Cartridge Kits for the motorcycle models listed below.
Griz, from my conversation with the Ohlins USA folks, since they put rebound and damping in seperate legs, they don't need to drill the bottom of the fork larger. I will probably call and verify I'm remembering correctly since I'm about ready to ship my forks off.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #53
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Griz, from my conversation with the Ohlins USA folks, since they put rebound and damping in seperate legs, they don't need to drill the bottom of the fork larger. I will probably call and verify I'm remembering correctly since I'm about ready to ship my forks off.

David
Interesting. My understanding was that preload for both fork legs was on top and that rebound and compression damping was split between the two legs on the bottom.

Please report with pics when you get the installed kit back!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #54
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
I also got the impression that the TTX based version was similar to the bitubo kit, in that they use a gas charge internally. Maybe just something lost in translation on the website as well though...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #55
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Nope, here is what it is:

Ohlins USA "NIX" cartridge kit:

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/index.ph...=1:latest-news

-Was developed in the USA by Ohlins USA, not Ohlins Sweden.
-It is the "NIX" cartridge kit. (oil damped, no gas)
-The rigorous testing for the kit was done at the BMW off road skills school in South Carolina.
-The kit completely replaces all of the Marzocchi internals and Marzocchi fork caps.
-The kit includes proper Ohlins straight rate springs for rider weight.
-The kit uses HUGE 30mm pistons for valving.
-Each fork leg ends up NOT having both rebound and compression damping combination pistons. One fork leg gets a 30mm compression damping piston only, which damps ONLY compression. The other fork leg gets a 30mm rebound damping piston only, which damps ONLY rebound. The reason for this is to IMPROVE performance. According to so and so at Ohlins USA, and I agree with him totally, when one piston is burdened with having to damp for BOTH compression AND rebound, oil movement through said dual-purpose piston is hindered, therefore performance and plushness is reduced. When a single piston is responsible for ONLY one form of damping (rebound or compression), the oil flows more uniformly through said piston, improving performance AND plushness. So, Ohlins USA's use of a dedicated separate pistons for rebound and damping split between fork legs is a good thing, not a bad thing as it seems.
-Both fork legs have spring preload adjustment.
-The kit is $1,600, and installation is $200.
-The cartridges kits are only available through, and require professional installation at, Ohlins USA's Hendersonville, North Carolina Service Center. So you have to remove your forks and send them in. Turnaround is roughly two weeks at the moment, until the Spring of course when they'll be busier.

__________________________________________________ ____

Ohlins Sweden/Twalcom Italy "TTX" kit:

http://www.twalcom.com/frame.php?key...A/SUQ9MTI4OA==

Product of a collaboration between Andreani Group (Ohlins Importer for Italy) and Twalcom ®.

The brand needs no introduction Öhlins suspension and shock absorbers and can be considered the world's largest reference. The pressurized cartridge Öhlins TTX was created expressly for the off-road racing and has been chosen by many pilots of the most grueling race Enduro, Motorbike Rally Raid and Extreme. This exclusive kit is designed specifically to ensure the maximum performance range of the F800GS. By adjusting the spring preload to adjust hydraulic compression and rebound damping cartridge pressurized Öhlins TTX is currently the maximum term applicable to high-tech F800GS. The cartridge Ohlins TTX also provides excellent comfort, road holding and braking stability, contributing decisively to driving safety. In addition to this complete reutilization of each element ensures maximum continuity of performance over time.

TTX Cartridge Kit is delivered with calibration and the spring load tailored to customer needs.

When it comes to forks, never mind the outside… it’s the inside that counts. The engineers at Öhlins HQ focused all of their attention to creating a universal kit with the powerful TTX technology. This gives all MX junkies a price competitive masterpiece with tons of performance and handling at a reasonable cost. You can keep your standard Front Fork legs, just pull out the standard inserts and pop in the new kit.

The completely new MX Front Fork Cartridge kit is based on TTX technology. This creates a positive pressure balance in the system, thanks to the twin tube technology. The gas pressurized dividing piston does an excellent job pushing the hydraulic fluid back into the low pressure side. The end result is better performance and no more cavitation.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #56
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

So, once again, the Ohlins USA "NIX" kit is oil damped only. NO GAS. The Ohlins Sweden/Twalcom Italy "TTX" kit is gas pressurized.

They are seriously DIFFERENT kits.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #57
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
The Ohlins Sweden/Twalcom Italy "TTX" kit is gas pressurized.
Good, so we agree!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #58
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Good, so we agree!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #59
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
So, once again, the Ohlins USA "NIX" kit is oil damped only. NO GAS. The Ohlins Sweden/Twalcom Italy "TTX" kit is gas pressurized.

They are seriously DIFFERENT kits.
How do we pro/ con decide nix vs ttx

Let's remove shipping and dollars from compare and talk characteristics, performance, suitable terain(do u choose one if u are 80/20 the other if 20/80) and maintenance etc.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #60
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
How do we pro/ con decide nix vs ttx

Let's remove shipping and dollars from compare and talk characteristics, performance, suitable terain(do u choose one if u are 80/20 the other if 20/80) and maintenance etc.
werd! splain it for the dumb guys here like me! lol