User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Zippa OP
Wearing L plates on dirt

Oddometer: 155
First camping bike camping trip - Yadboro area

Inaugural Zippa Camping Challenge was held on the weekend. The idea was to keep reasonably close to home so the newbie (me ) wouldnt feel to out of depth. We had ridden through Yadboro before & DZ had camped there before with family.
We headed out around 7ish all packed. Steve with his super tanker (Pig) sporting shinny new yellow panniers full of the “bare” essentials and me with enough luggage for a week.

We headed straight for South Nowra where Sven and the mighty KLR were waiting for us. Route discussed and we were off again more or less straight down to Milton via Wents rd and it was into the hills we from there with a brief stop at Pigeon House Mountain and a couple of detours to check out some camp spots.

We ended up at Long Gully Camp site and made camp in the pleasant surroundings. Now I know it isn’t a race but there was a clear winner in the “Set up a tent world championship” and the winning entry got to help the newby J.

Camp made, a refreshing wade through the river and Zippa was restless so it we were back on the bikes for little explore while Sven decided to try catching a afternoon siesta. As is always the case Steve and I managed to find some interesting terrain, a little creek crossing and a little bit of bike extraction from a hazard. Good fun!

After the creek crossing it was time to have a bit of a look a round though this didnt last too long. This was the first of a few ummmm lifts for the BMW

We arrived back to camp to find that Sven had been busy and had the fire going, so we settled down for an evening around the fire and dinner. Though I don’t know if bread, cheese and tined spaghetti constitute a meal. I am undecided.

Sooooo now lets compare meals shall we......
DZ - -----

Sven ----------

Zippa --------

There was another couple camping near us that completed the walk up to the castle during the day....... only took 9 hours as well :shock: they stopped to say hello & said they would be back after they had dinner......... funny enough that they didnt make it & was lights out by 8pm

Sunday morning was cool but not too cold and the fire was still going from the night before. So after our breakfast we broke camp and decided on an easy loop through the forest and back too Milton. I could not have been be so wrong.

The first part was straight forward as we headed down the Western Distributor Road and then onto Wallaby Hill road. Then it got interesting. It was clearly evident what havoc was created by the high winds earlier this month with a gazillion trees strewn across out path.

We picked out way around, over and through many. Built ramps to get the bm over some until we were met with some obstacles that were too much. So we turned around and tried another way. Eventually here too we were met with the impassable. And yet again on another road.

So 4 and a half hours latter, out of water in the camel packs a little hot and bothered we finally made it out to the Kings Hwy, jumped into the Currowan Creek to cool off and headed for Braidwood and a late lunch around 2pm. The morning had turned out an epic, but great fun.

Sven was enjoying the tar surface and not being faced with any trees across the road and put his head down for home where Steve and I caught up with him latter after I explored the fuel reserve range on the bm hmmmmm. And we all arrived safe and sound at home through fog and darkness around 6:30pm. Exhausted.

Thanks
Sven and Steve for a great weekend.
Zippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
drdirty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
What a classic ride!! Your ride was what Dual-Sport Adventure ride is all about!! You inspire me to so that kind of ride! thanks
drdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
Dukehunt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
well done mate. love it down that way some great spots

Dukehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Enjoyed that. Great photos. Thanks for posting. Campsite and meals looked interesting. Was that single-pole tent one from ALDI?
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
speedy08
Orange blood

Oddometer: 72
Looks like you guys had a great trip. Well done.

Everytime I read a report such as this it makes me want to drop what I am doing and head out into the bush and ride. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
redviffer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Any chance of seeing a route on google or the GPS track of where you guys went?

I have the Garmin Zumo 550 which I think I saw on one of the bikes there. If you could pm me the track file that would be really appreciated.
redviffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
Zanni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C
Enjoyed that. Great photos. Thanks for posting. Campsite and meals looked interesting. Was that single-pole tent one from ALDI?
No it isn't from aldi I bought it 15years ago from The Great Outdoors.
Zanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,900
I was just thinking of doing a ride in that area.......might have to wait a bit for the council/rangers to clear the trees.

Great RR, thanks for posting.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
RedDogAlberta
Banned

Oddometer: 5,838
Great stuff. I always enjoy shots from the camp as well.
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
Zippa OP
Wearing L plates on dirt

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by redviffer
Any chance of seeing a route on google or the GPS track of where you guys went?

I have the Garmin Zumo 550 which I think I saw on one of the bikes there. If you could pm me the track file that would be really appreciated.

Not sure how to attach stuff to a pm so have sent you an email.
Zippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Bummer about the trees in the road....looks like you did your best to get through. Fun seeing the camping pics.
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,877
You guys need to start carrying a chainsaw.

Looks like a fun time.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
MacG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Geat pics ! Looks like an " active" ride with all the downed trees.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
Silky
Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer: 1,273
Cool ride, remember that the Beemer has about 5 litres in the Reserve. I've reached 380 odd K's once although I then put in 16.95 litres of fuel in. But it's a big reserve.

Silky is offline   Reply With Quote