Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #31
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender View Post
Agree, or improving the bikes' off road skills. By far the best thing I've added to this bike was a re-valved shock. I remember you saying once you set your shock at zero clicks out for comp and rebound on rocky trails. I started looking at mine more closely and found it's valved too heavy on slow speed and too light on high speed, did Honda put the valve in back wards? I found a guy in Utah that knows these shocks. When he said "Honda put enough shims in the shock for two shocks" I knew I found someone that could do a custom revalved job not just rebuild it. Along with the XR650R forks I installed this shock makes the bike handle the tough stuff with ease and 14/48 sprockets unnecessary. The suspension is now faster than the engine.
Still running the same settings with the 15/48 on my 95. Turn 71 tomorrow & still consider the XRL best all around bike for me?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #32
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post

Turn 71 tomorrow & still consider the XRL best all around bike for me?
Geeezzzzz, I know the XRL has been around a long time but 71 years??

Congratulations on lasting this long. I'll tip a cold one for ya.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #33
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
'93 was the first year for the 20T fifth countershaft gear, Honda (Europe) listed both a 20T and a 21T fifth gear. FMX got what the NX already had.

http://www.oemparts.eu/oem5.asp?M=Ho...2=HO-NX500P-QB
If the NX650 came with the taller 5th then why is it so hard to get the the 5th and so easy to get the NX650 end gear?

I will be adding the NX650 2nd gear to help that hole between 1st and 2nd and I want to add the taller 5th but untill now I thought I could only get it through European or Japanese dealers???????? I see people on here jumping through hoops ordering parts out of Japan or getting parts from Europe.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #34
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My 2 cents. 15/48 & work on improving your off road skills? Or a new bike?

Sure would be nice to run 15/48 and still have the same cruise speed as 15/45 or better yet, run 14/48 and have the same cruise as I do now. A wider gear spread is better for how I use the bike and if I can do it relatively cheaply with the bike I have why not. I'm always wanting to improve my riding skills but this issue is so much dependant on skills as it is just wanting to have a wider ratio transmission.

New bike? Yep,,,,, I've really considered a used Husky TE610 but I already have the XR650L and with the mods it has and the mods I want to do, it would suite my needs fine. I do like air cooled engines with valves I can adjust myself easily. I also like Honda reliability {not that the Husky isn't dead reliable from what I've read} and Honda's huge dealer network and parts availability and of course,,,,,,,,,,,, swappability!.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #35
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Still running the same settings with the 15/48 on my 95. Turn 71 tomorrow & still consider the XRL best all around bike for me?
Happy Birthday Tom, whatever you're doing I say keep it up! I really like the XR-L too, top shelf, maybe not the high end of things but hey it works for me...
Old 10-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #36
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
If the NX650 came with the taller 5th then why is it so hard to get the the 5th and so easy to get the NX650 end gear?

I will be adding the NX650 2nd gear to help that hole between 1st and 2nd and I want to add the taller 5th but untill now I thought I could only get it through European or Japanese dealers???????? I see people on here jumping through hoops ordering parts out of Japan or getting parts from Europe.
I tried like hell to get that gear from a stateside dealer, because I couldn't see paying 170 bucks for the gear. Like I said I got it from Japan and I know of at least one other guy that got his from the same shop, it's kinda funny that no one in the states (that I could find) stocks that part but you can get it from any Honda dealer in Japan. YMMV

-Barron
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #37
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post

The '88-'89 NX650 was sold in the US so parts are available at any US Honda dealer. These bikes had the same gears as the XR-L except the mainshaft second gear, but not the 20T fifth gear. In '93 Honda changed the NX650 transmission by adding the 20T fifth gear and sold them in Europe until '99. For some reason Honda of US and Honda of Europe only sell parts for bikes they sold in those districts.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #38
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I tried like hell to get that gear from a stateside dealer, because I couldn't see paying 170 bucks for the gear. Like I said I got it from Japan and I know of at least one other guy that got his from the same shop, it's kinda funny that no one in the states (that I could find) stocks that part but you can get it from any Honda dealer in Japan. YMMV

-Barron
I thought 170 was fine for what I got with the end result. For me it was hard to call the XR-L a true dual sport when 15/45 is too tall for rocky trails and 15/48 was too low for mile after mile of highway speeds.(which is the norm if you live out west) This gear completely solves that problem.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #39
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,404
I have had 2006 Husky TE 510,put over 10,000 miles on it, 2007 Husky TE 250, 7,000 miles & currentely have a 2008 WR250R in addition to my XRL. Had a 2000, 2004 & now 1995 XRL. I just can't live without one
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #40
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The '88-'89 NX650 was sold in the US so parts are available at any US Honda dealer. These bikes had the same gears as the XR-L except the mainshaft second gear, but not the 20T fifth gear. In '93 Honda changed the NX650 transmission by adding the 20T fifth gear and sold them in Europe until '99. For some reason Honda of US and Honda of Europe only sell parts for bikes they sold in those districts.
OK, does that mean I can zip down to my local Honda dealer and order the taller 5th from a 93-99 NX650?

Like you, I wouldn't mind spending 170$ for the taller 5th. Shoot, the NX650 2nd and the 5th together are still only around 250$ and would really make the bike alot better for me.

If I can't get it at my local dealer,,,,, what's the easiest way to get it? I don't have no one I know in Japan or Europe.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #41
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Over in the XRL thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach
FWIW, I just got a NX650 fifth gear from David Silver Spares in the UK for $140 shipped. Much cheaper than I thought!

We are thinking shipping is a large part of that 140$ and we are looking into buying several at one time to save on shipping.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #42
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jud View Post
ok, does that mean i can zip down to my local honda dealer and order the taller 5th from a 93-99 nx650? if you live in europe you can. Living in the us only gives access to parts for bikes sold in the us and for the nx650 that was '88 and '89, which did not have the 5th gear you want.

like you, i wouldn't mind spending 170$ for the taller 5th. Shoot, the nx650 2nd and the 5th together are still only around 250$ and would really make the bike alot better for me. i got both gears almost two years ago and it was $280 to my door. They took one week to arrive.

if i can't get it at my local dealer,,,,, what's the easiest way to get it? I don't have no one i know in japan or europe. david silver spares, it's a honda dealer in london. They have a web page, call them, give them the part number, pay with credit card. No hoops, no ladders and no fences.
hth
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #43
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
But how do you know the engine will even be in a curve strong enough to pull the bike?

Motorcycles, especially old air-cooled lower c/r ones, don't like getting out of torque curves.

I see this all the time as ppl often think revs are too high...

I see lifted 4cylinder Toyota's all the time that have 33's ~ 35's and STOCK gears... That won't pull themselves in 5th gear down the interstate... But the rpm's are sedate!
I have 35s on my STOCK geared 22RE yoater... pulls 65MPH on I5 to work and back every day.. 22MPG to boot.

I put a cam, exhaust, and intake on it to do that, but still.

I would LOVE a wide ration XRL. I am tempted to see if I could contact a machine shop to machine out a gear that would work??? is this do able? an even higher 5th than that would be nice. I know the bike can pull a higher gear.. .
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #44
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
My 2 cents. 15/48 & work on improving your off road skills? Or a new bike?

you obviously didn't read the OP.

and tall gearing simply doesn't work offroad regardless of skill level. Some of us actually ride REAL trails
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #45
Lonestar2112
Moran in training

Oddometer: 6,344
[QUOTE=n16ht5;17003065

I would LOVE a wide ration XRL. I am tempted to see if I could contact a machine shop to machine out a gear that would work??? is this do able? an even higher 5th than that would be nice. I know the bike can pull a higher gear.. .[/QUOTE]

Don't bother. Unless you have an existing gear that they can copy. It will take them hours (lots) to figure out how to cut the gears. I work with guys that have several HAAS CNC machines and they are buddies and told me to hit the door. We are talking a long time to figure out how to do it right.

Once I get mine, I will drop it by the guys to see how many hours they think that it will take to program the CNC machine. If that number is low and I can get good prices on material, I will post up and maybe make 50 - 100 of them and sell them. It will be awhile before I know.