ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
RandomGRK OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
New to the US, New to ADV and just got myself my first non sport bike

Hi everyone

I'm new in the US. Landed in December. As you can all see, I have my priorities in check and I have a lovely Triumph Tiger 800 I'm picking up on the 7th of March. I'm in Philadelphia so hoping the weather plays along.

I'm new to the Adventure scene and if I'm honest, extremely nervous about just getting on some loose gravel. I had a Street Triple before this so road riding is my first love but I really want to try some off the beaten path stuff.

Any idea if there is a group who can show me the ropes who go for regular rides and are keen to get going in March? I'm looking for a bunch of people to go riding with since I don't know anyone in Philly except for my girlfriend.

I'm from South Africa and I enjoy riding elephants to work, swimming with crocodiles and racing ostriches.
RandomGRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGRK View Post
Hi everyone

I'm new in the US. Landed in December. As you can all see, I have my priorities in check and I have a lovely Triumph Tiger 800 I'm picking up on the 7th of March. I'm in Philadelphia so hoping the weather plays along.

I'm new to the Adventure scene and if I'm honest, extremely nervous about just getting on some loose gravel. I had a Street Triple before this so road riding is my first love but I really want to try some off the beaten path stuff.

Any idea if there is a group who can show me the ropes who go for regular rides and are keen to get going in March? I'm looking for a bunch of people to go riding with since I don't know anyone in Philly except for my girlfriend.

I'm from South Africa and I enjoy riding elephants to work, swimming with crocodiles and racing ostriches.

Welcome. But why the fuck would a person move/live in Philithydelphia??? Move west, buy a gun, have some Whiskey, live a little.

Have Glock will transport hippy helmets across state lines.
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #3
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGRK View Post
Hi everyone

I'm new in the US. Landed in December. I'll have a lovely Triumph Tiger 800 In March and want to start playing with it as soon as the weather plays along.

Looking for a group who can show me the ropes who go for regular rides and are keen to get going in March since I don't know anyone in Philly except for my girlfriend.

I took the leisure of modifying your post just a bit. Welcome to the asylum. Stick around checkout the various threads for Pa. There's several riders in your area who log some serious miles throughout the year. I'm sure over time you'll hear from a few of them as well. Philly is about an hour from the NJPine Barron's with over 2million acres where you can hone your off-road skills and master sand at the same time! It also helps that Sand does way less damage than gravel! Folks hold rides down there just about every other weekend.

Get your bike. Get it setup properly & pray for warmer weather. March us just around the corner..
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
Fenianbastard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
welcome

As a previous reply said the NJ Pine Barrens are your friend plus you have all the great backroads of PA, which after this winter will be gravel until about July!! There is a great covered bridges loop in PA, I have done with the Porsche Club, but only bits of it on the bike, that is fun and twisty and close to you.
Fenianbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
UnitedFan
GSA in W.C. PA

Oddometer: 8
Welcome! I am over in West Chester. A buddy I ride with has a Tiger 800. Once the weather breaks reach out and we will set something up.
UnitedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
RandomGRK OP
n00b

Thanks all. So the plan is to keep my eye on this forum or are there any specific meetups (something on meetup.com)?

UnitedFan, thank you for the offer. I'll definitely do that. I'm going to try and fetch my Tiger this weekend coming from Coopersburg. Should be a very chilly ride but apparently the weather will be better (mid 40s - 50s) from the following weekend. Ill message you in 2 or 3 weeks then? Appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Bikehigh
Not Dead Yet

Oddometer: 4,067
Saw your post in the spring ride topic. Welcome and congrats on the new bike. There's not really a lot of dirt and gravel roads to be found immediately around Philly. Closest is probably out in Chester County. There's some to be found up in Bucks County but I'm not very familiar with that. There are dirt and gravel roads on each side of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, and they would probably the best for introducing you to riding of pavement. It'll probably be a few weeks yet, but if you're interested, I can PM you when I might be heading down that way and I'll show you around.
Bikehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
snowman318
Future Corpse

Oddometer: 1,197

Bikehigh knows his stuff, good guy to hook up with.
I'm in upper Bucks, we have some gravel,even 3 creek crossings.
Spring Ride would be a good intro to alot of what goes on here.
And everyone watches out for everyone else.
Philly Tag thread might interest you also.
Welcome
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674788
http://sevenmountainsconservationcorp.com/
snowman318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
RandomGRK OP
n00b

Thank you gents. I'd really appreciate the pm when you can. I was looking at some of the schools and they are quite expensive, especially since I just moved here, bought a bike and some the gear to go with her.

Ill revisit this thread in a few weeks then.

Decided to only pick the bike up next week...can't wait!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #10
mra32
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Bikehigh gets around and from my admittedly small sample size, a great guy to ride with with the right attitude.

When the weather is nicer, I ride into the city on thursdays for a little ride: http://www.chinonthetank.com/

I'm 30 miles to the west of the city, ride in, have a little fun, ride home and arrive around midnight and try not to be a zombie at work the next day

There are also 2 wheel tuesdays on tuesday evenings at the abbaye:
http://philadelphiariders.com/events.html
mra32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
agraz400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mra32 View Post
Bikehigh gets around and from my admittedly small sample size, a great guy to ride with with the right attitude.

When the weather is nicer, I ride into the city on thursdays for a little ride: http://www.chinonthetank.com/

I'm 30 miles to the west of the city, ride in, have a little fun, ride home and arrive around midnight and try not to be a zombie at work the next day

There are also 2 wheel tuesdays on tuesday evenings at the abbaye:
http://philadelphiariders.com/events.html
How many funny looks do you think I'd get showing up at the chinonthetank meet with a WR250R? I'm right over the bridge in Jersey.. wouldn't mind riding the dual sport around in the city and meeting some people, but not sure how the group would welcome a newer bike like that
agraz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:49 AM   #12
RandomGRK OP
n00b

Ill look into those, thank you. Although I don't want to be that guy who dilutes the effect they're going for which I assume to be vintage.