User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Ultra54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
New 990 SMT

I traded my 09 Ducati M1100S towards a 2010 990 orange SMT and will drive 500 miles to get it at the dealer. It's to bad I don't have a dealer closer but that hasn't stopped me before from owning 3 previous KTM's, the last being an 07 200 XCW.
I'm not sure but it looks to me that Canada isn't importing it for 2011. Anyone know if thats true? I will say it doesn't appear to be the most popular seller which suprises me dispite the excellent reviews I have read.
I am interested in picking up a set of slip on but not the Akro, too much money, I spotted a set of FMF aluminum on Ebay for 470 bucks. Anyone have experience with these?
Ultra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Faststage1
mmmm muuuud

Oddometer: 138
Nice! I'd love to have a go on the SMT. I also have a 200XCW, most fun you can have with your clothes on IMO.
Faststage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra54
I am interested in picking up a set of slip on but not the Akro, too much money
Here you got some more sites for slip-on exhausts these cost a lot less that the Akro's

Wings exhaust (is a copy of an Akro it's also made by an ex employee)
http://www.wings.si/ver2/podstrani/str1_lc8_sm.html

Mivv exhaust:
http://www.mivv.it/en/prodotti_apri....odice_marca=29

SC-project:
http://www.sc-project.com/ktm_990_sm_e.htm

Leovince:
http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-k...i_e_2009/11180
Spark01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
nvr2late
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Wellcome Bro' and good swap
nvr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Ultra54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ya, I know it was a good move. The Monster was nice and I don't have a bad thing to say about the bike. I do have something to say about the company though. As I mentioned I have had several KTM's before and the information available to you inside the nice briefcase provided is in stark contrast to what you get with the Ducati. They don't provide a tool even for adjusting the chain and steer you to a dealer to have it adjusted. Don't even think about looking for suspension setting as there isn't a mention in the piddly little book that comes with the bike. On line forums were little help as honestly they mainly consist of riders whom "customize" there bikes with 200 dollar levers and other trinkets.... . I dared one time to compare my experience of owning a KTM as compared to a Ducati and was soundly beaten up over it.
Honestly though, the Monster proved way to impractical, even carrying a baseball cap was a challenge on it. The other little bit is I payed for premium Ohlins suspension that hopped and skittered of even a cigarette but on the road. One thing I will miss is the sound of the beast.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
9nine0
Formally NineFive0 V2

Oddometer: 402
The SMT is awesome. Congrats
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
phonybone
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Congrats on the new SMT! What's it like on dirt?

I for one would be very curious to hear how this bike handles forest roads and the like. I know it's primarily a street bike, but I believe it could handle easy dirt roads just fine and I'd like to know if I'm right. Also curious as to how far it can comfortably pushed off road, so if you feel the urge to report on any such rides, that'd be great!

My curiosity comes from the fact that I have a wee-strom, and I was thinking of trading up.

Thanks,
-Victor
Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037

I talked to the KTM dealer in Bakersfield, Ca. to see if any were coming here.
He said he had ridden the bike and really liked it enough so he said it would be
one he would buy for himself. He also said that the sales projection in this area was so small that they would not stock any. San Fran or LA would get some. To bad as the reviews on it were great.
Let us know how great it is.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 AM   #9
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 299
info

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonybone
I for one would be very curious to hear how this bike handles forest roads and the like. I know it's primarily a street bike, but I believe it could handle easy dirt roads just fine and I'd like to know if I'm right. Also curious as to how far it can comfortably pushed off road, so if you feel the urge to report on any such rides, that'd be great!

My curiosity comes from the fact that I have a wee-strom, and I was thinking of trading up.

Thanks,
-Victor
Maybe i can ad some info about this:

I drive a SMT since February and drove allready +11000km (+/- 7000 miles) until now with it.
As you said it's mainly a street bike, you can drive some offroad(suspension travel front/rear 160/180 mm (6.3/7.09")) with some allroad tires.
But it's also posible with the standard tires but i won't recommend it see:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...402954&page=25

A beter choice(i think) for some Road/offroad would be a 990SM because it's got more suspension travel(front/rear 200/210 mm (7.87/8.27")), just add a SMT seat for more comfort it fits straight on.

Just some action foto of me driving in the french Alps

Spark01 screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 03:40 AM
Spark01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Strokizator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
San Fran or LA would get some. To bad as the reviews on it were great.

Take the short drive north (about 100 miles) to Wilson's here in Fresno. Last time I was in there they had a couple on the floor. Sweet bike!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Ultra54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I drove 7 hours to pick mine up and drop off the Monster and turned around and headed back home another 7 hours...... . I slept like a rock that night and woke up and couldn't wait to go play with my new bike. First thing I did was strip off all the warning stickers and reflectors. After that I checked a few things and headed out for a nice 150 km ride. At this point I feel this is the best bike I have ever had the pleasure of driving. A direct comparison to my Monster on the rough city roads and secondary highways isn't fair. The SMT gobles up everything in its path without so much as a wiggle. The brakes are way better and it is alot faster. As everybody mentions the throttle is touchy but I can mange it well enough. I will say that every bike I have owned in the last 10 years has a clutch that engages near the end of the levers travel where this bike requires you to squeeze the lever until it touchs your fingers that are around the grip. This in itself isn't a big deal but generally I modulate the clutch to dampen the snatchiness of most all bikes as a habit. To accomplish this on the SMT is made more difficult by this fact. Other than that I can't keep off it.
I hit a few gravel roads and comparing it to any normal street bike I have owned it handles it very very well.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra54 View Post
At this point I feel this is the best bike I have ever had the pleasure of driving.
I'm feeling the same on day 2 of my ownership!
Falcon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
gallinastrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonybone View Post

Thanks,
-Victor
I've read a couple of places that it was better off-road than the wee, but I have not ridden the wee.
Falcon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #15
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra54 View Post
I will say that every bike I have owned in the last 10 years has a clutch that engages near the end of the levers travel where this bike requires you to squeeze the lever until it touchs your fingers that are around the grip. This in itself isn't a big deal but generally I modulate the clutch to dampen the snatchiness of most all bikes as a habit. To accomplish this on the SMT is made more difficult by this fact. Other than that I can't keep off it.
You do know that the clutch lever can be adjusted right ? i have mine adjusted on my 990Adv so that the clutch dis-engages at about 5-10mm of initial lever pull.

welcome to the orange side
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote