User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Exploring West Virginia from the back of a Strom

Hi there. I'm new to this. The blogging and the forums not the motorcycling. Well, I am a little new to that too from the front, I'm a seasoned veteran from the back.

My husband got me hooked on riding on the back way before he was my husband. Maybe that's why I said yes - I'll never tell for sure. We started off on mini trips two hours away, and worked up to longer trips, all the way from home in Ohio to Charleston, South Carolina. Okay, I have seen some of your posts, and maybe the Midwest to the East Coast is nothin' for you guys, but it was kind of a big deal for me. I'm a girl, so cut me some slack. Give me ten more years and some more behind the handlebars experience (oh and a big fat check to cover the mortgage bills while we are away) and maybe I will rival some of your cross country trips.

In the mean time, I have seen a lot from the back of a Kawasaki Mean Streak, a Honda ST1300 and our latest addition, Rocky, a Suzuki V-Strom. You guys name your bikes right? Good, so I'm not crazy. Anyway, we have traveled to Hocking Hills in Ohio, ridden around Kentucky, Virginia, the Ozarks in Arkansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri, and just recently West Virginia. Wow, that's a lot of commas.

And yes, sigh, it's all been from the back. Call me old fashioned, but I like riding on the back of my husband's motorcycle. It's relaxing. I get to see a lot of stuff, like the giant HVC sticker on the back of Mr. MeanStreaker's helmet for instance. In all reality, I have only had my license for a year and a half, never ridden in the rain or the dark and really am not yet prepared for long distance trips, although I do think my Honda Big Ruckus would be up for the challenge. Yup, there's a scooter owner on here, I am allowed right?

So, if you all want to hear about our recent trip to West Virginia let me know. I consider myself a pretty funny girl and my mom jokes that the only way my niece and nephew would recognize me is if I had a camera to my face, so I can guarantee some decent pictures. If anybody is interested, throw me a bone here and let me see the little yellow smiley face guys nibbling on some popcorn. As a side note, I don't take rejection very well, so really, let me see some smileys.

Mrs. MeanStreaker screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 05:34 PM
Mrs. MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

If it helps you all make up your minds . . . we met klrmike and his friend Willie on our trip . . . small world isn't it?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
CamBandit17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
CamBandit17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Of course we want to hear about your trip -- proceed please!

rodr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Yay! My first post and I have three fans! I love you all! Don't tell Mr. MeanStreaker. We'll just keep it between us.

I am excited to say this is the first showing of my vacation pictures. That's right, I have not uploaded them to FaceBook, nor have I saved them to a disc and made all my co-workers watch the slideshow whether they wanted to or not. Yet. I don't exactly work with a lot of riders (shout out to Jeff and Kevin and Mark who do ride, mostly around town, but will probably never read this) so most of the guys don't understand why you need the same picture, but with the bike from three different angles. Or why there are a hundred pictures of the bike, but two of me. Let's just say the bike doesn't need a flat iron and a hairdryer to look pretty. Ohhh look, the bike was at Seneca Rocks . . . how did it get there? Who drove it? Who's to say? Maybe the invisible motorcyle man rode it . . .

There is nothing more fun when you stop for a stretch than to pose your gear on the bike and take a picture. I have a short attention span, we should just get that out of the way here in the beginning. This is not the first sighting of the invisible motorcylce man either. He appeared in Illinois on the way to Missouri this year, but that is a whole 'nother ride report and I'm still getting my feet wet on the first one. Okay, back to it.

Here is a map that Mr. MeanStreaker made for you all. Nice huh? He likes maps. I have lots of pictures of him looking at maps on the bike (some more quizzically than others) though he swears the perplexed look is just coincidence and he is not really lost. Again, another ride report. I digress.

So, we started in Dayton, Ohio and traveled to Cincinnati to drop off my jeep and my poodle at the poodle sitters aka my mom's house. Yes, I have a scooter and a poodle and an inkling to get her some little poodle sized goggles. Maybe for Christmas. From Cincinnati we rode Route 32 to Athens where we picked up Route 50 to cross into West Virginia. And that's Ohio.

See doesn't the bike look pretty here? Nice little dirt path that leads to a little wood structure off in the woods. Okay, I can't lie to you. This was right off a reststop, it just looks like it belongs on ADVRider. Let's be pretty clear - Ohio isn't quite as exciting a ride as West Virginia. It's flat. Really flat.

See? Flat. If you pop yourself some more popcorn tomorrow night I will share with you some nice hilly West Virginia pictures. Also, there are cows. Cause who doesn't love cows.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

So, we finally crossed the Ohio River. West Virginia. Wild and Wonderful. Or so the sign says.

There are a few great things about West Virginia. It's not Ohio. I don't have to go to work while I'm there. It's a little cooler. Hillier. Curvier. Also, it has Yuengling. While Yuengling is by no means the world's best beer, it is inexpensive with a nice flavor and has the added bonus of not being available in Ohio so that makes it all the more desirable. Cheap, tasty and unavailable. The MeanStreaker's clearly have high standards.

Also, West Virginia has cows. Okay, Ohio has cows too. Pretty much everywhere we travel has a cow somewhere, but there are no cows in our subdivision, so for me cows are a bonus. I also really like goats and we did see a few of those too this trip. The real shame is that I neglected to get a picture of the goat I saw coming out of a dog house. Yup, had it's own little mini igloo. I really need to get one of those helmet cams so I don't miss the important things. Okay, moooooving on.

That's probably enough of signs, puppies and livestock. My guess is, you all want to see some bike pics. So here is Mr. MeanStreaker and Rocky by the side of a long winding road.

And here is that same long winding road reflected in the rear view mirror. And not just any rear view mirror I might add. Rocky had an aerodynamic, wind reducing facelift just before we left on our trip.

More long winding roads and . . . gasp . . . is that a hill I see? We're not in Ohio anymore!

Here's a blurry barn so you can see just how fast we were going. Ludicrous speed. We like to live dangerously.

And . . . a phone booth. So in the grand scheme of life a phone booth is not all that and a bag of chips, but seriously, when was the last time you remember seeing a phone booth? And a working phone booth none the less. I tried it, it worked! So for now I will leave you to ponder this question "Where have all the phone booths gone?"

Old 09-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,833
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
great stuff!

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

We were riding through Weston, just minding our own P's and Q's when we ran across a ginormous stone building. We had to stop to see what all the fuss was about. Turned out to be the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. That is not what I was expecting.

This place was huge. The picture does not do it justice. If I had a panoramic camera you would see this building just going and going and going . . .

Did I mention it was big? Well, it was.

I was going to google it for you so you can read more about it, but well, you can just read the sign.

The lady at the gas station said the TV show Ghost Hunters has been there filming a few times and they do tours, including midnight flashlight tours. I am a big chicken when it comes to scary things but I really want to go back in the dark. It's on my list of things to do. They have concerts there too if scary isn't your thing.

And across the street from the Lunatic Asylum was this . . .

I love old buildings, the more they look like they are falling down the better. I am always trying to convince Mr. MeanStreaker we should sneak inside some but he strongly disagrees. A lot. And vocally. Humph. And he claims to be an adventure rider.

Mrs. MeanStreaker screwed with this post 09-25-2010 at 04:18 AM
Old 09-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
piratetreasure
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Nice! Keep it coming.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Great so far!! Love those 2up rides.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
-Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum-

This is on my short list for an upcoming ride.

Thanks for a great ride report.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
Jamie870
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Jamie870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #15
bklynz00