Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #16
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
After a full day of riding we finally turned onto the "main" road our cabin was off.

Lots of little houses, farms and dilapidated old buildings . . .

Oh and one mansion . . . (that's not where we were staying in case you were wondering) . . .

15 minutes, one slow moving tractor and dozens of deer later, we made a left onto a pitted gravel road. This gravel road is exactly the reason Rocky is with us today and only his second time off the beaten path. We like our cabins in the middle of nowhere and the ST1300 just wasn't cutting it off-road. I never named that bike so I should have known then it was a goner. I hopped off so Mr. MeanStreaker could get a feel for the road and I hoofed it down to the cabin. It was a bit of a hike, but after 350 miles it was a welcome break.

Arrived here . . . "River Retreat" . . . but where is the River? I guess I'll find that later.

Doesn't Rocky look happy? Little tilt of the head, a bat of the eye, yup, I think there is some flirting going on here. Don't worry Rocky, we love you too.

Unfortunately, we weren't the only ones at the cabin. We had a guest, a spy if you will, keeping an eye out on us and maybe looking a little surprised we came all that way on a motorcycle. What other way is there to travel?

Mrs. MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #17
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

DeBandi - just FYI I think you have to call ahead to take the tour . . . if you do I soooooo want to see some pictures!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #18
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 326
Thumb Love RR's from a lady's perspective!

Mrs. MeanStreaker, enjoying your RR and sense of humor. Looking forward to many more ride commentaries from you in the future.
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
I think we'll make a good team. I'll do the Ridin'. You do the Reportin'!

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #20
jdslacy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Imagine this,

I have been in Idaho working and haven't been home since the middle of July.

I do my daily review of ADV and find a picture of the TALA.

My house is 2 blocks from there!!

Thaks for the report!
jdslacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Woke up to our first morning at the cabin, and stepped out on the porch to this . . .

Can you see the river yet? No? It's down there, we'll find it later. Rocky was calling. Seneca Rocks was calling. We had a late breakfast at the cabin, turned on the trusty GPS and made our way to Seneca Rocks. Pulled in across the street for a stretch and a photo op and cause Mr. MeanStreaker had a lot of coffee that morning. I was talking to a trucker about the area when two more motorcycles buzzed in and parked next to us. They saw the ADV sticker on Rocky's tail and came over to introduce themselves. The guys recognized each others' handles and chatted bikes, tires and local roads for a bit. It was a nice reminder of what a small world it can be and of how absolutely fabulous motorcyclists are. Unfortunately I neglected to get a picture of klrmike and his friend Willie, so I improvised. You get the idea right? Good.

They gave us some good tips on roads, offered us a place to stay next time we were in the area (neither one of them lived in the mansion either so we are still not staying there) and asked us to ride with them. Silly me, though, wanted a closer look at those rocks and to stop inside the visitor's center. We said our goodbyes and crossed the street.

Mr. MeanStreaker spent a few moments gazing at the rocks contemplating . . . what? Ummmm, yeah, no clue, men are a mystery to me. We'll have to ask him. What was on your mind baby? World peace? Religious affirmation? The new tires on your KLR? Maybe just lunch.

Learned something new while we were there.

Hiked the trail for a little . . . but just a little . . . had those roads klrmike recommended nagging at us.

Turned back for a quick tour of the visitor's center before heading out.

Yeah, I made a bad call. Should have joined the guys on a ride instead. Don't get me wrong, I mean I like dummies posed on a fake rock wall just as much as the next girl but . . . next time klrmike, next time.

Mrs. MeanStreaker screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 07:02 PM
Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,171
From where you crossed the Ohio, did you cross into Moundsville WV? That asylum is the real deal. It is one of the most haunted places in the country. People travel from around the world to research it, and prove hauntings. I grew up in that area. I actually bought my XR600L in Weston. Beautiful country. I had a farm about 80 miles Southbound on Old119 fron the bridge you crossed the Ohio on.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. MeanStreaker
Unfortunately I neglected to get a picture of klrmike and his friend Willie, so I improvised. You get the idea right? Good.

Looks like klrmike and Willie need some lectures on ATGATT!

Let's start with loin cloths gentlemen!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmike
^
LMAO

+1

nice report.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #25
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

A brief synopsis of the rest of our second day for all those with a short attention span (aka me): left Seneca Rocks, rode 28 to Smoke Hole Road to 220 to a fish hatchery to lunch in Franklin (where we did not have fish I might add) to 250 to 33 to Elkins then back to the cabin. Whew.

It was a full day of riding and reflecting. Mr. MeanStreaker has suggested before that we get helmet mics, but honestly, I like my quiet time, and I like it to be on the back of the bike. I like zoning out a little as the landscape whizzes by. Taking in the earthy smells of the woods and the snap of the water from the rivers and creeks we pass by. Relaxing into the moment without too much concern for road conditions and curves. Appreciating the things we have that are taken for granted, like a house with more than one room.

Besides, I wouldn't want Mr. MeanStreaker hearing me sing Jim Croce songs to myself to pass the time. Jim was appropriately stuck in my head for much of the trip, but well, that's not all that unusual for me. Maybe it's just because my first thought for a vacation this year was visiting his gravesite in Pennsylvania. Anybody been?

Anywho, Smoke Hole was the road klrmike mentioned and we are so glad for the tip. It was beautiful. Turned off at one point to explore this road . . .

Yeah, there was a reason it looked like this bridge hadn't been crossed in years. Cause it hadn't.

Pretty though.

Continued on our way.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #26
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

I believe we came through Parkersburg. I really want to go back to Weston and spend some time walking around with the fancy camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06
From where you crossed the Ohio, did you cross into Moundsville WV? That asylum is the real deal. It is one of the most haunted places in the country. People travel from around the world to research it, and prove hauntings. I grew up in that area. I actually bought my XR600L in Weston. Beautiful country. I had a farm about 80 miles Southbound on Old119 fron the bridge you crossed the Ohio on.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #27
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

If we had known that, we'd have stopped off and taken a picture of your house for ya. Now that would really have made you sentimental!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdslacy
Imagine this,

I have been in Idaho working and haven't been home since the middle of July.

I do my daily review of ADV and find a picture of the TALA.

My house is 2 blocks from there!!

Thaks for the report!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #28
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,050
This:
Quote:
Got me to subscribe. LOL'ing.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Found a fish hatchery. By now you know I like cows and goats, have an offbeat sense of humor, a short attention span and an obsession with Jim Croce. What you don't know is I also really like fish. And it just so happened that we needed a stretch. And there was a sign that said visitors welcome. It also said pets must be on a leash, but since my poodle was still in Cincinnati pining for me and I hadn't stolen any livestock to take home yet, we were all good.

I have been to fish hatcheries before (hasn't everybody????), but never one quite like this. My old fish hatchery haunting ground was just a bunch of ponds in the ground that were great for after hours fishing. This place was concrete trenches . . .

with fish piled one on top of another and another and another . . .

You wanna see them don't you? Don't worry, I gotcha covered.

Alright, maybe I am the only one with a fish fascination. I think Mr. MeanStreaker was ready to move on too. And so was Rocky.

Hopped back in the saddle and proceeded on to Franklin. I've been debating all day whether or not to share pictures of our lunch in Franklin with you. I figured I have suckered you all in this far, might as well take some liberties right? Also, I want to share a secret with you. Sometimes when you take pictures of your lunch at little mom and pop places, the owner thinks you're a food blogger and offers you free pie and homemade ice cream. I'm not kidding. Try it sometime. Write some notes down on your napkin too and really sell it. So, here we have breaded mushrooms and sweet potato fries.

These particular fries did not lead to free pie, but you can't win them all. And on we went.

This turned out to be the wrong road so we didn't get very far before turning around. The next road turned out to be the wrong road too. That is if you consider the patchy gravel, the dark tunnel-like feeling, the ominous warning from a pickup truck driver about how the road is impassable and closed and even if you could cross it our "shortcut" would take us a least an hour extra to traverse in the dirt and laughed at us for even considering taking a motorcycle down there, wrong. Naturally Mr. MeanStreaker really wanted to ride it. Mrs. MeanStreaker did not. So, we moved on to the paved roads and put it on the short list to come back with the KLR and try it again. ATGATT right? Rocky was not the right gear. Neither was the dusk that was approaching.

Mrs. MeanStreaker screwed with this post 09-30-2010 at 04:12 AM
Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #30
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Still say we would've found a way through that road.

Oh the sacrifices I make for love!