Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #31
jdslacy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. MeanStreaker
If we had known that, we'd have stopped off and taken a picture of your house for ya. Now that would really have made you sentimental!

If I had been home and knew that you were there you would of had a free homecooked meal with drinks and somewhere to sleep!!

have fun and be safe,

James
jdslacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #32
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Continued on our way to Elkins stopping for a stretch and to check the map.

See, I told you Mr. MeanStreaker likes maps. I am pretty sure he is pointing to that road we didn't take and cursing at me under his breath. He really wanted to ride that road. This road was nice too though.

Saw another sign.

And as Jim Croce says "I sure did get to miss the change of seasons . . . ."

Finally made our way to Elkins and stopped at the local park. West Virginia really likes leashes.

Here's Rocky waiting anxiously for Mr. MeanStreaker to come back (Mr. MeanStreaker really likes his coffee). Maybe Rocky's worried there is a leash in his near future . . . it's anybody's guess.

We didn't spend too much time in Elkins, mostly to gas up, get groceries and rent movies from Redbox (gotta love those things, they're everywhere). But we did stop to check out this guy . . .

For a somber looking fellow . . .

. . . he had a nice motto.

So with that, I leave you for the evening to work as if I would live forever and live as if I would die tomorrow . . . I've definitely been doing the working lately so I'm off to spend some time with Mr. MeanStreaker and do some livin'.

See ya tomorrow.

Mrs. MeanStreaker screwed with this post 09-30-2010 at 06:55 PM
Mrs. MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #33
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Awwww shucks, thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdslacy
If I had been home and knew that you were there you would of had a free homecooked meal with drinks and somewhere to sleep!!

have fun and be safe,

James
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #34
Ramage
needs improvement

Oddometer: 204
Ms.MS: Enjoying your RR and photography. Keep it coming!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #35
LumpTheBeezu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #36
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Mr. MeanStreaker had seen a random grave site the night before near our cabin and wanted to check it out. I think he was imagining things because all I had seen were cows and deer. So we left Mr. Henry Gassaway Davis and his horse behind in Elkins and made our way back towards the cabin astride Rocky.

Rocky is the fifth motorcyle we have owned since my husband and I met 7 years ago, and they have all had their differences for the passenger. Mr. MeanStreaker started me off on the back of a '92 Honda Nighthawk 750, which had a really nice backrest that spoiled me absolutely rotten to the point I flat out refused to ride on the Yamaha FZ1 he wanted to buy. We cozied up to the '05 Kawasaki MeanStreak instead (yup, that's where the handle comes from). The MeanStreak carried me on my first overnight trips around Ohio and Virginia. It had a small backrest and was a killer magma orange color that was, well, just freakin' cool . . . but man, was it an uncomfortable travelling bike. Knees bent up the way they were, after a long ride I could barely get off the thing. And in my twenties no less. So we moved on to two bikes, an '05 KLR650 just for Mr. MeanStreaker to play around with and an '06 Honda ST1300 for some longer trips to Arkansas and the East Coast. Lots of storage. Gigantic top box for a back rest. Fabulous on the knees. I did sit a little farther back though and got a lot of wind buffeting me on the highways. I would've made a nice bobblehead. We sold that bike too and bought Rocky this past Spring. Rocky's been a nice addition to the family. I wouldn't mind the foot pegs being down and out just a little, but it's not bad. While I have a little less room to maneuver and sit closer to the driver, I don't always catch "quite" as much of the landscape as I used to. At times, all I see is this . . .

So you can see why I thought this grave Mr. MeanStreaker saw might have just been a figment of his imagination brought on by our recent drive-by of the Lunatic Asylum. Turns out he wasn't crazy and I didn't have to leave him at the TALA and make my way back to Ohio alone.

Apparently the mountain we were on was named Shaver. Learned something new again.

Peter Shaver was a Revolutionary War Patriot . . .

. . . so we paid our respects and headed the short jaunt back to the "River Retreat." It occurred to me our second night there that maybe the cabin was not named for the river I had yet to find, but for all the Mallards.

They were everywhere. Above the door, on the shower curtain, on the mantle, over the jacuzzi, in the art on the walls . . . I could go on but this post has been a little wordy as it is. I am not sure why cabins tend to be themed. In North Carolina it was moose. West Virginia was mallards. Maybe Tennessee will be mice. Or meerkats.

It has also occurred to me that there are plenty of pictures of Mr. MeanStreaker in this ride report, but none of me. So, here I am.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #37
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Because I'm always intrigued by those that came before us, especially Revolutionary War Patriots, I found some information on Mr. Shaver:

http://www.wvhcgs.com/shaverstory.htm

Quote:

Shaver joined the Revolution in Augusta County in Capt. Simpson’s Company. He was an Indian ranger and a spy.

He later returned from the war to his family, including his wife, their three sons, John, James and Jacob and his brother Paul who returned from the war with a severe leg wound.

According to West Virginia author Gary Pase, “Shaver’s Mountain and Shaver’s Fork are named for Peter Shaver. A botched Indian raid on St. George resulted in the death of the namesake of the mountain and stream we know so well. Peter Shaver was a German immigrant, Revolutionary War soldier and credited with being the first settler in the rich and wide Tygart Valley. He settled there in 1772. He also kept a cabin near Collett Gap, north of the ghost lumber town of Gandy. This cabin was a hunting camp and hideout from the Indians.”

“Shawnees from Ohio would raid the settlements west of the Alleghenies with regularity,” Pase said. “The fore mentioned raid on St. George resulted in the Tygart Valley massacre of April 10, 1781. Every settlement in the valley between present day Elkins and Huttonsville was destroyed.The settlers were either killed or driven east to safety.”

“Peter Shaver, his pregnant wife and his brother, Paul were not at their cabin on Shaver’s Run, near Valley Bend, at the time of the raid,” Pase said. “They were visiting east. Returning that day Shaver rode ahead, always aware that Indians could be in the area. His wife and brother caught up with him, but not in time to save him. He was found mutilated. His scalped and bloody body was laying across the path leading home.” He is buried at his outpost cabin site near Collett Gap.”

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #38
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Our second night at the cabin we watched Hot Tub Time Machine, which we found next to a Mallard above the fireplace, and planned out the next day. Step 1: find the river. Step 2: ride the bike around and see stuff.

You'd think Step 1 would be easy, but we had to pass by Rocky to find the river and he clearly was ready to be let out of his cage.

I averted my eyes from Rocky's disapproving gaze and hiked down a big hill off to the left while Mr. MeanStreaker hiked down a big hill off to the right.

I found this first.

Well, first I found some barbed wire and lots of ferns.

Then I found the river. Fall is right around the corner.

There were hundreds of ferns and no way to easily get to the water so I backtracked and followed Mr. MeanStreaker into the woods

He had found this.

Nice, huh?

We weren't the only ones that liked it here.

Step 2: ride the bike around and see stuff. Done.

Stopped here to gas up the bike . . . then pay for it. That's right, you pump and then pay. I can't remember the last time I saw that, now you can see it too.

Course you had to wear pants.

Oh, well. Like I said before, you can't win them all.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #39
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
If I come back with the KLR, Mike... you wanna give a tour?

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #40
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

After we gassed up, narrowly missing "some of the best Dual sport dirt in the state," we continued on 33E . . .

. . . stopping when something looked interesting.

Is that an open window I see? Come on Mr. MeanStreaker, that's practically an invitation!

Today's roads weren't quite what yesterday's were. More cars out, straighter and flatter . . .

. . . less curves.

But they did lead us to the parking lot of a place called Blackwater Falls in Davis, West Virginia.

I hear they have a waterfall there. I wouldn't know, because all we saw were motorcycles . . .

. . . and corvettes.

We had good intentions of walking down to see the falls but the sign said it was over 200 stairs and well, we would rather be riding. Also, motorcycle boots (at least mine) are not the most comfortable for hiking. Honey, I think it's time for new boots . . . .

In all reality I can probably produce a picture of a waterfall from 90% of our vacations, so I was okay missing this one. But just in case you aren't, I "borrowed" this picture from the official website. So, there you go. Blackwater Falls. We were there. Kinda.

33 E had taken us to 32N, off which we had found Blackwater Falls (sorta) and from there we took 219W to 250S back to Elkins. Somewhere after "the falls" but before Elkins we stopped in a little town whose name I cannot remember. We were just starting to get hungry and there were houses on the side of the mountain. Those are good enough reasons for me.

I would hate to mow that yard. But we didn't end up eating at the restaurant we found with the giant cougar head on the side of the building. There was a sign across the street telling us to move on.

At least that's how we took it. It was time to ride on.

Mrs. MeanStreaker screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 02:04 PM
Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #41
crashkorolyk
just happy to ride

Oddometer: 23
great posts!,keep it up.
crashkorolyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #42
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

It's a good thing we didn't eat in whats-its-name-burg because we happened upon a little restaurant and gift shop across from a train station . . .

. . . in Elkins. It's amazing how many times we had ridden through Elkins, without really riding through it. Veering off on one side street can open up so many possibilities. Who knew there was a train that hosts murder mystery rides? Or an old hotel being renovated . . .

. . . or the worlds best burger . . .

Look closely. What do see? That's right, gravy! GRAVY!! There is gravy on my burger!!! It was a happy accident. I like mushrooms. I like cheese. I'd had one too many salads this trip already. So I splurged on a burger with mushrooms and cheese. I didn't read far enough into the description to even see the gravy part. Maybe I wouldn't have ordered it then. Gravy on a burger does sound a little crazy. Crazy fabulous that is. It was really really really good. Messy, but oh so good. I was surprised at just how good it was.

So was the waitress who bussed our table. More spies (insert darty eyed smiley face here).

Rode the now familiar ride from Elkins to our cabin, stopping on the side of the mountain for construction crews to move some rocks around.

Tucked Rocky into his rock bed.

Finished off the Yuengling.

Eyed the mallards suspiciously.

And started packing up for tomorrows ride home.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #43
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Well, when last I left you Mr. MeanStreaker and I were on our last night at the cabin and packing up to go home. That means that my very first ride report is nearing an end. I probably have one more post till it's over. I'm starting to get sentimental here. Sniff sniff. In the meantime here are a few random pictures of our trip that didn't make it to other posts. I am warning you hardcore ride report readers though - this post is all fluff and there are no pictures of Rocky anywhere in it. Sorry. I am doing it anyway. Here ya go:

Okay, I lied a little. Here is one of the side bag and my gloves. Not really Rocky though. Just a little of his fringe.

Be back soon.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #44
cleanair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
enjoyed the rr and pics.
a buddie of mine has a cabin next to where you stayed. been there a few times with him on fishing trips.
cleanair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #45
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 174
Sweet

Nice RR. Never spent much time in WV, but this is a good argument for doing just that.
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote