Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #181
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
A2 missing

Hi Peter,

I just had a look at th enew look site. Much imporved for search functions.

I did note that the section A2 of the SWAT track is no longer listed.

If you can't find it, I can upload it agian. Please advise.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #182
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
XR,

This one?
http://transaustraliatrail.com.au/tr...ag_id=#content

It was there, but didn't have Vic selected. I might have done that when I added Vic SW.

Cheers
Pete
Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #183
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

That is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWebtrax View Post
XR,

This one?
http://transaustraliatrail.com.au/tr...ag_id=#content

It was there, but didn't have Vic selected. I might have done that when I added Vic SW.

Cheers
Pete
Sorted
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #184
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Added jilliby to wolombi
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #185
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 761
nice

V8R,
I'll try and upload our Commission rd ride done recently. Will hook up nicely with your track to Jilliby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8R View Post
Added jilliby to wolombi
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #186
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
V8R,
I'll try and upload our Commission rd ride done recently. Will hook up nicely with your track to Jilliby.
That'd be tops, cheers!

Sent from my SGS2
Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #187
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 761
tracks uploaded

Tracks uploaded. They hook up reasonably well with yours from Wollombi to Jilliby. I will be looking at using them again soon.

I have looked at this website a few times but never uploaded before. Piece of cake! I will upload more in due course
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8R View Post
That'd be tops, cheers!

Sent from my SGS2
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #188
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Saw that, they work well. Have downloaded yours and merged both in map source to create a complete route :)

Sent from my SGS2
Old 10-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #189
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,097
posted up a draft of the great continental divide route from melbourne to cape york. relevant thread is here if anyone can help develop it further.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #190
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some Taut bug fixes

Ok, now that I'm retired I've run out of excuses for not doing something to fix up Taut.

So, I've gone in and fixed up all (I think) tracks that weren't displaying due to ampersands in some of the waypoint names.

I haven't fixed the actual issue with processing tracks with ampersands in them (yet) so try to use the word 'and' instead of ampersands for now. It's more readable anyway;-)

There were still some tracks that wouldn't display on Taut but would display in Google Earth. Eventually worked out that is was only the BIG ones. Not sure why, but I've changed the conversion to KML to be a little less precise so it creates smaller files. It shouldn't matter for displaying the track on Taut, and you will still download the GPX file that is detailed.

But if you see any issues with the new conversion, get back to me.

Next on the list of 'things to do' is to change the initial display of the 'find tracks' page so that it doesn't just display the last 15 tracks entered. Some folks have given me the perfectly reasonably feedback that they assumed that this was all the tracks that Taut had in it. Not good.

So I think I will change it to just display the search form instead. Although if we get a couple more 'hero' tracks like the Continental Divide, I might switch to displaying them first. I'm open to feedback on this.

Next on the list is to rework the page so that it can be used on a mobile or small screen, it's pretty hopeless at the moment.

Then I can really get stuck into it and rewrite it to get rid of some of the atrocious code I wrote. It was my first real interactive mappy type system, that's my excuse anyway. That would also allow me to take advantage of some of the changes that have occured in the years since I wrote it.

If you've got any special requests, put them up here and I'll consider them.

I have also moved the site back in-house (ie my home) so that I don't need to pay hosting costs any more. This could have an impact on the speed of display of pages, but hopefully not.

If anyone has access to a free hosting site that could run Taut at a reasonable speed, please give me a yell.

RosscoACT has suggested we should put some advertising on the site to pay for hosting and dns registration charges etc. This is also an option.

What you think?

Cheers
Pete
Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #191
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Fee issue

How much hosting fee are you needing to cover Peter?

I think that an upfront fee might deter many first time users. Perhaps a free download trail, then a fee/download or an annual subscribers fee.

I reckon TAUT is a really good idea and my company would advertise on TAUT if it helped keeping the site running.

I can imagine an advert ' " Come see the dirt biker's dentist", " service your bike and your teeth in Portland"
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #192
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kym, it's not much. And I'm certainly not intending to put a cost on using Taut.

I had the old site running on an external server that I had to have for WebTrax, but that's now being shut down so I needed to move it.

And now that I'm retired I'm looking at all my outgoings to minimise them.

We could probably get a perfectly acceptable commercial server for $10-20 a month so we are not talking sheep stations here...

For advertising, if we went down that path, I was thinking of just using Google Ads. It's not worth the hassle of chasing advertisers directly for the small amounts involved.

Cheers
Pete
Old 02-19-2014, 03:14 AM   #193
james928
oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWebtrax View Post
Ok, now that I'm retired I've run out of excuses for not doing something to fix up Taut.

So, I've gone in and fixed up all (I think) tracks that weren't displaying due to ampersands in some of the waypoint names.

I haven't fixed the actual issue with processing tracks with ampersands in them (yet) so try to use the word 'and' instead of ampersands for now. It's more readable anyway;-)

There were still some tracks that wouldn't display on Taut but would display in Google Earth. Eventually worked out that is was only the BIG ones. Not sure why, but I've changed the conversion to KML to be a little less precise so it creates smaller files. It shouldn't matter for displaying the track on Taut, and you will still download the GPX file that is detailed.

But if you see any issues with the new conversion, get back to me.

Next on the list of 'things to do' is to change the initial display of the 'find tracks' page so that it doesn't just display the last 15 tracks entered. Some folks have given me the perfectly reasonably feedback that they assumed that this was all the tracks that Taut had in it. Not good.

So I think I will change it to just display the search form instead. Although if we get a couple more 'hero' tracks like the Continental Divide, I might switch to displaying them first. I'm open to feedback on this.

Next on the list is to rework the page so that it can be used on a mobile or small screen, it's pretty hopeless at the moment.

Then I can really get stuck into it and rewrite it to get rid of some of the atrocious code I wrote. It was my first real interactive mappy type system, that's my excuse anyway. That would also allow me to take advantage of some of the changes that have occured in the years since I wrote it.

If you've got any special requests, put them up here and I'll consider them.

I have also moved the site back in-house (ie my home) so that I don't need to pay hosting costs any more. This could have an impact on the speed of display of pages, but hopefully not.

If anyone has access to a free hosting site that could run Taut at a reasonable speed, please give me a yell.

RosscoACT has suggested we should put some advertising on the site to pay for hosting and dns registration charges etc. This is also an option.

What you think?

Cheers
Pete
I run a mechanical workshop and bike repair shop, I would be happy to put in for advertising, or help with hosting. Feel free to contact me.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 AM   #194
james928
oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
How much hosting fee are you needing to cover Peter?

I think that an upfront fee might deter many first time users. Perhaps a free download trail, then a fee/download or an annual subscribers fee.

I reckon TAUT is a really good idea and my company would advertise on TAUT if it helped keeping the site running.

I can imagine an advert ' " Come see the dirt biker's dentist", " service your bike and your teeth in Portland"
LOL
Old 02-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #195
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

I am serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by james928 View Post
LOL
James Portland Laser Dentistry & Orthodontics is about 200m from Tim CAmpbell's bike shop in teh centre of town, and a short walk from the pub and caravan park.

It is so easy to communicate with bikers. I say , " you have problem X as you can see on the monitor. There are three options to fix it. The Postie step through option, the DR650 option , or the BMW option. What do you want me to do?"