User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #31
nry

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagati
Yeah the thing to be careful of is there might be a need to show if a track has been ridden or drawn. If it has been ridden the info should be spot on. If it has been drawn then it's only as accurate as the map used
+1 for this, just had a bit of a look. Downloaded a few tracks and had a look on mapsource, I think i'd be only interested in the "ridden" files as I could create drawn files myself when planning. Can this be displayed on the tab ?
Still they do give you a few ideas but you can't be sure the creator has done their research so it would be safer to DIY..
Just a thought
Great work !
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #32
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,632
There is a way you can check when you have it up on Mapsourse. (I don't guarantee it's foolproof)
Click on the "Tracks" tab on the left window. Then right click the track, Then select "Track Property's" (should be on the bottom of the menu). A legit track should have elevation, Leg Speed, Leg Time, info there. If it has that info then it is accurate because someone has been there. If not its probably drawn.

As for names of roads and farm's TauT has no controll over that. The map your seeing is the Google Map's map and TauT can not change that info. They can put an overlay on it but that's it. Now when you download a track your just getting a track. not a map. So when you view it in Mapsourse your going to see road names and farm name's that are on your map.

Hope this helps

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #33
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWebtrax
Ok, I've had to revise the layout so all the tracks could display in the track list. That has meant ditching the accordion collapso/expando thing. It clashed with the tooltips and map.

Cheers
Peter
Yah that's better. (Though would still like to see a separate scrollable window for tracks).

I've got some other ideas on usability, but need to experiment some more e.g. highlight on track and map zooms to show it. That may be out of what google maps will allow you to do...

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #34
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Re the tracks, I'm assuming they are recordings of tracks that people have actually done, but the file can also include the 'route' that was planned. When I convert the GPX to KML for display I get gpsbabel (the conversion program) to limit the number of points to 50 to keep the size down. But I could also be losing critical information. Basically what displays on our map is meant to be an indication of the track path, the real data is in the uploaded GPX file.

First call for help. If anyone has time to play with some of the GPX files and the various options in gpsbabel to find the best compromise KML output, that would be very helpful. I'm flat out working on another project that has to be done in 4 weeks, then I'm off overseas for a month, so I'm not going to be much help for the next 2 months.

Re the feedback link, it relies on being able to start up your email client. Probably best to give feedback here anyway, so everyone can see it.

Re the user interface, the scrollable list of tracks will come back. Still need to work out what tracks we display on the first look at the page. Currently thinking I might display the list of tracks, but not on the map, there would be a separate button to display them once tracks of interest are selected.

Re some tracks not showing in their correct states. That is probably because some users who shall remain nameless (RosscoACT) have uploaded tracks without filling in the appropriate fields in the form. The software has no magic to allow it to work out what state the track is in, you need to tell it.

This is something that needs to be stressed. The tracks on their own are not going to be much use to people if we get a thousand or more on the site. Every track needs to be classified properly so users can search and find exactly what they want.

Second call for help. If anyone has Javascript/AJAX/PHP/Cake skills who can donate some time that would also be much appreciated. Especially on the Javascript/AJAX side where I'm not real flash.

Finally, don't expect this all to be finished in the next couple of weeks. I would expect us to take at least 3 months to get this working well. The main thing is that the database can hold all the tracks and entered information while we test and improve the user interface over time.

Now back to work for me.
Cheers
Peter
PeterWebtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #35
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,919
Thumb

Hi Peter,
Awesome work!
I registered yesterday and had a bit of a play round with it.
Something that bugs me: "Hilight" and "Donwload" just typos.

The interface is good, easy to navigate, though it took me a little while to work out how to see the tracks when I first logged in the other day. i see them today.
Also being able to filter the tracks is great, I haven't tested this too much though.

Is it possible to select a number of tracks, say with a check box so you might be able to "join" up a number of tracks and build a trip?

I downloaded a few tacks in put them into both Oziexplorer and Google Earth, this worked OK for me.
Haven't checked for accuracy of the tracks (out of scope), but then you'd have no control over that anyway.

My setup:
Ubuntu Linux
Firefox 3
Google Earth 5
Oziexplorer running under Wine

Great idea and looks good so far.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #36
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 847
Loaded a two-day trip as a trial.

A couple of thoughts - The "type" options are currently Trail (mainly dirt) and Road (mainly tar) . . - perhaps add a 50:50 option,

or perhaps have categories based on % dirt 0-20-40-60-80-100?

or perhaps differentiate single track - double track - fire trail - dirt road?

I know it's hard to classifiy a big trip, as that may be a mixture of all the above - maybe an alternative is to show the class of bike ridden - e.g. 250-400 / 650-800 / 950-1200 - that may give others ome idea of the ride suitability ??

Good initiative!

Goosefeather screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 02:02 AM
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #37
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:

Re some tracks not showing in their correct states. That is probably because some users who shall remain nameless (RosscoACT) have uploaded tracks without filling in the appropriate fields in the form. The software has no magic to allow it to work out what state the track is in, you need to tell it.

r
starting to fix one by one

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #38
Geoff3DMN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I went for a ride today and took the GPS, but lost power to the GPS early on (not sure why yet) so I didn't get anything.

Sorry Guys.
Geoff3DMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:47 AM   #39
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:

Second call for help. If anyone has Javascript/AJAX/PHP/Cake skills who can donate some time that would also be much appreciated. Especially on the Javascript/AJAX side where I'm not real flash.
Younger brother is a senior systems engineer, platform SUN unix boxes etc. Bit of a Java expert I understand. However to get him involved might take some serious arm twisting - let me know if you hit a wall and I'll see what I can do

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #40
Silky
Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer: 1,273
Just a quick question, I noticed that a few of my tracks have been put up, which I have no problem with. But what happens if someone has a major screw up following one of my tracks?

Ordinarily I don't care on ADVrider as it's a US website, but how does this translate to an Aussie registered site?

On another note, I agree with excluding tracks that are drawn rather than traced with the GPS unit. Or at least caution that it is a rough guide only.

Silky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #41
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
Yes Silky has a point

The website needs a disclaimer re accuracy of tracks and a friendly warning of use at your own risk, nothing scary

Perhaps a check box on registering to indicate acknowledgement of own risk etc

All very boring really but we live in a modern world & while we would all hope those looking at and using the tracks are experienced travellers there will be the odd one or two eventually & could bring down a lot of good work by good people
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #42
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky
Just a quick question, I noticed that a few of my tracks have been put up, which I have no problem with. But what happens if someone has a major screw up following one of my tracks?

Ordinarily I don't care on ADVrider as it's a US website, but how does this translate to an Aussie registered site?

On another note, I agree with excluding tracks that are drawn rather than traced with the GPS unit. Or at least caution that it is a rough guide only.
That was me. Could you say which ones are yours so I can give you credit? It's actually more than that, it's important to have people be able to ask questions of the author where possible. Unless of course you want to remain anonomous.

On the liability issue, I guess we should put something up like "We recommend that no one under any circumstances uses these tracks for anything, ever. Motocycling is dangerous and you would be mad to even get on one let alone ride one on the street, and don't start about dirt. It is simply not safe. We strongly suggest that you stay at home and read about people who ride motorcycles. DO NOT USE THESE TRACKS IN A GPS UNLESS YOU ARE A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL"

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #43
WestOzKLX
Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer: 869
Track added. Looks the goods so far.
Question:
Can you make the actual track line that comes up on the G'Earth map a different colour than black, say red or bright green. I ask because in Map mode all is good but trying to follow the trail in the Hybrid or Satellite modes makes this quite difficult.
I wanna be electrifiiiiiied.....

WestOzKLX screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 06:29 AM
WestOzKLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #44
Silky
Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
That was me. Could you say which ones are yours so I can give you credit? It's actually more than that, it's important to have people be able to ask questions of the author where possible. Unless of course you want to remain anonomous.
The tracks that are mine are listed, which is cool. I was a bit surprised really that one wasn't asked but I'm cool with them being used.

I guess the issue was seeing my tracks up there, having someone use them and then if anything went pear shaped, the blame would come back.

Not that I really care if someone uses my tracks, hell if I can ride them, anyone can.

Silky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #45
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Re other peoples' tracks being posted, I took the first 10 or so from the GPX thread, most of which had been put there by Silky.

I meant to say when I opened it up that the people who posted those tracks originally should register and send me a message and I will allocate the tracks back to them. If they are not claimed I will take them off.

Re licences and disclaimers, I really don't want to head down the legalistic track. I looked at Everytrails licence and you basically agree to absolve them of any risk and hand over your first born child as a surety. But they do have extra info uploaded, eg personal photos which would have copyright issues.

I'm not sure what the situation is with a track. It's not really a creative work, so not sure it needs a licence. But I'm no lawyer and sure some will disagree.

Cheers
Peter
PeterWebtrax is offline   Reply With Quote