Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #61
Dan_B
Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846
Save link as...
Yeah that would have worked, but for consistency it would be better to be the same as all the others. It's working fine here on my home computer, so either has been fixed, or work computer was playing silly buggers (Could have been cached from when I opened it a while ago).

I use Google Chrome, and all of QLD seems to working fine now.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #62
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Yep, I suspect it must have been cached, cos the new setting comes from the server and is set the same for all files.
PeterWebtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #63
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, few last minute changes before I head off.

I've put selector check boxes on the track list. By default the tracks won't display on the map. You can then click a check box to make a track appear/disappear on the map.

I've also put a short-cut checkbox up the top of the list to display/hide all tracks. But be warned it will get very confused if you use the individual checkboxes and then the short-cut one. It ain't smart.

There seems to be a limit of about 10 tracks before they stop displaying on the map. Still don't know what the limit is, or why it is happening.

Have fun
Cheers
Peter
Old 09-30-2010, 04:31 AM   #64
Dan_B
Sunny Coast KLR'r

Check boxes seem to work well Peter. Good job!

Once I've connected the GPS up to the PC, I'll have a play with loading some tracks off and play around.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #65
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 990
Had another look at the site.

Great jobs fellas

Now just gotta find the time to ride'm

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #66
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use
Now just gotta find the time to ride'm
>looks at watch<

>taps foots<
Old 10-17-2010, 03:53 AM   #67
InertiaDRZ400
AusSafari Addict

Oddometer: 583
Awesome, you have created the online version of an offroad Tom Tom !

Not that impressed.

Im not a fan of anything that take the venture away from Adventure.

Steve

Safari 2011 ! ........anticipation!
InertiaDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #68
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by InertiaDRZ400
Awesome, you have created the online version of an offroad Tom Tom !

Not that impressed.

Im not a fan of anything that take the venture away from Adventure.

Steve
your distain is duely noted

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #69
Dan_B
Sunny Coast KLR'r

So I've finally gotten the bike back, scored a GPSMAP 60csx cheap, the RAM Mount turned up today, so I'm hoping to be able to start to add a couple of local tracks around Townsville.

The first one I'll do is Tagati's trip to Ravenswood. Haven't been on that road before, so keen to see it, plus it'll let me get used to how it all works. Used to navigating waterways by GPS, not motorbikes

I'm thinking I can do a couple of little half day trips that can all link together to form a day trip, or several day trip. Should be easy to do as they all seem to start/end in similar places. The little half day trips will also help me get back into the dirt riding (been out of it most of this year due to broken bike) and also get some of the others up here who want to ease into it. Also I know Droopy can't always get whole days away, so might be good for him too.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #70
rosscoact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_B View Post
So I've finally gotten the bike back, scored a GPSMAP 60csx cheap, the RAM Mount turned up today, so I'm hoping to be able to start to add a couple of local tracks around Townsville.

The first one I'll do is Tagati's trip to Ravenswood. Haven't been on that road before, so keen to see it, plus it'll let me get used to how it all works. Used to navigating waterways by GPS, not motorbikes

I'm thinking I can do a couple of little half day trips that can all link together to form a day trip, or several day trip. Should be easy to do as they all seem to start/end in similar places. The little half day trips will also help me get back into the dirt riding (been out of it most of this year due to broken bike) and also get some of the others up here who want to ease into it. Also I know Droopy can't always get whole days away, so might be good for him too.
cheers Dan,

make sure you upload the trail and include any comments along the way. Cheers
Ross

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #71
Dan_B
Sunny Coast KLR'r

Yep all will be logged and uploaded Ross. Although having looked further into it this afternoon with Corey (MadGalah), it seems your National Trail link has done a lot of the more common runs here!!!

Gonna have to find more now
Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #72
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
This is looking good fellas, will be a fantastic resource once it gets more tracks uploaded. I uploaded a track and downloaded a few others and it all worked perfectly (I'm using Firefox). I need to re-do a few rides and record gpx files so I can upload them....

One suggestion that I thought might help especially in the future when there are lots of tracks: it may be difficult to work out which track I want to download just by name if I don't know the area (town names etc), but looking at the track line on the map I can see where I want to go. It would be great to have some way to label the track without making a mess of the display. Perhaps a popup of the track details when I hover the mouse over the track? Or click a track and it highlights it in the list? Maybe even right click a track and download gpx? I understand this is probably more technically challenging than it appears but it would be a nice touch.

Any plans to promote the site to get more riders uploading tracks?
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #73
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Beta version 2

After a long delay (just to give you guys time to test the original version;-) I have finally got around to producing an updated version of Trans Australia Trails.

Check out Version 2 at http://transaustraliatrail.com.au/

Most of the changes are on the 'Find tracks' page, as this is likely to be the most used page on the site. A brief description of some of the changes is on the front page.

Looking for your constructive feedback. It would also help if folks could load up some more tracks to make it more realistic. We currently have 54, but a few of those won't display as they are the wrong format.

Also, someone in Tasmania must have a GPS track to share.

You might notice there is a big difference between the way various tracks display, ie some are plain line with no waypoints, others have well documented waypoints. I have no idea what sort of GPS they are coming from, and how the waypoint descriptions are being added, so I might get in contact with some of the well documented ones' authors to find out, and post the info on the site. It makes a big difference to the usefulness of the track when it is documented well.

I will now start working on improving the admin pages, ie for uploading and editing tracks. Currently you are still restricted to uploading GPX type files. I should be able to set this up so it can convert from other formats automatically. Not sure how well it will work yet though.

Once that is done, say 3-4 weeks (the eternal optimist that I am), we should be able to 'go live' and promote it more to make it 'the' place for adventure riders to put their tracks.

Cheers
Peter
Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #74
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWebtrax View Post
After a long delay (just to give you guys time to test the original version;-) I have finally got around to producing an updated version of Trans Australia Trails.

Check out Version 2 at http://transaustraliatrail.com.au/

Most of the changes are on the 'Find tracks' page, as this is likely to be the most used page on the site. A brief description of some of the changes is on the front page.

Looking for your constructive feedback. It would also help if folks could load up some more tracks to make it more realistic. We currently have 54, but a few of those won't display as they are the wrong format.

Also, someone in Tasmania must have a GPS track to share.

You might notice there is a big difference between the way various tracks display, ie some are plain line with no waypoints, others have well documented waypoints. I have no idea what sort of GPS they are coming from, and how the waypoint descriptions are being added, so I might get in contact with some of the well documented ones' authors to find out, and post the info on the site. It makes a big difference to the usefulness of the track when it is documented well.

I will now start working on improving the admin pages, ie for uploading and editing tracks. Currently you are still restricted to uploading GPX type files. I should be able to set this up so it can convert from other formats automatically. Not sure how well it will work yet though.

Once that is done, say 3-4 weeks (the eternal optimist that I am), we should be able to 'go live' and promote it more to make it 'the' place for adventure riders to put their tracks.

Cheers
Peter
Great work Peter and thanks for the effort...it's greatly appreciated

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #75
rosscoact

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmima View Post
Great work Peter and thanks for the effort...it's greatly appreciated
Get stuffed, I told him to do it, I should take the credit