Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #76
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Well you obviously didn't tell me hard enough, given how long version 2 has taken to arrive.
PeterWebtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #77
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also forgot to mention.

The site looks like shit in IE6. Usable, just, but the track list is stuck down below the map, etc, etc.

Life's to short to worry about 10 year old web browsers.

If enough people complain, I might deign to look at it.

Cheers
Peter
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #78
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact View Post
Get stuffed, I told him to do it, I should take the credit
you bloody crack me up - the only thing that keeps me sane half the time

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #79
PomInOz
Directions by Zen

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWebtrax View Post
Also forgot to mention.

The site looks like shit in IE6. Usable, just, but the track list is stuck down below the map, etc, etc.

Life's to short to worry about 10 year old web browsers.

If enough people complain, I might deign to look at it.

Cheers
Peter
A 10 year old and highly insecure browser that even MS don't want to support anymore. Can someone tell the IT dept where I work that!!

I'd not worry about it Peter. Develop an iPhone app instead.

(Rossco...I told him first this time!!)
PomInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #80
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Hey wow, this site is great! How come I never heard about it until now?!

There's only one ride in my area, and it's a biggie (cape york, 2600km's). So I won't be able to try that one out anytime soon... But I'd love to explore/add some one or two day rides.

I'm planning to do a ride in 3 weeks that would be perfect, but looks like I may have to cut out most of it due to flooding. Planning to do the real ride once a few river crossings open though.

Can you add a help section, explaining clearly what rides are welcome, and what aren't? I'm guessing my last two rides (a trail ride with some nasty creek crossings, and a simple cruise down the entire length of the bruce highway) are probably not suitable, but more specific guidelines would be great!

Also, if you need any help/advice/whatever with technical aspects of the site send me a PM. I'm a programmer with 10 years experience, the last 6 or so at the largest web development shop in this part of QLD, and I've also worked on a few iPhone apps recently. Most importantly I love riding and am a GPS geek.

Anything from design, to programming, to hosting... I can probably help out, or help you get in touch with someone. Don't have much free time, but this seems like a worthwhile project!
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #81
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think once we make the uploading of tracks a little easier we can start promoting it more then.

Re types of tracks, there's not really any rules at the moment. The hope is it will cater for everyone's needs, from one day loops, weekend trips, to the full blown 'trans australia trail'.

We'll probably need to get the tagging system worked out better to make it easy for people to search for just the type of trail they want. Eg, there is a 'loop' tag, so if you are in Sydney and want a short loop ride you should be able to search for 'Sydney' and set the tag to 'loop' to get a selection.

Currently there are a lot of 'location' tags in the tag list, which are probably superfluous as they can be found by searching on the title or description. So might try to cull them down to a smaller, more useful set.

Also I have gone through and tried to standardise the naming of the tracks, so they reference Start location, location 1, location, 2, etc, end location. Mkes it much easier to browse down the list and get a good idea of where each track goes. Will be especially important once we start to get lots of tracks going from A to B via different routes.

Re the offer of help, thanks, I will get back to you via PM. I certainly need some. Only reason I've got back into it lately is that I've got rid of all my outstanding jobs and just doing something for myself for a while.

GPS knowledge would be great, as they all seem to do something completely different when saving tracks in various formats. Took me days to get a single set of conversion parameters that would bring them down to something like a standard format.

Cheers
Peter
Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #82
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
nice work guys, i stumbled over this again the other day. keep it coming :)
V8R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #83
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,294
Good job guys! I will probably use it from time to time so will link to it on my new blog / site
Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #84
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Version 3 has arrived.

Ok, so it's 5 weeks since Version 2 went up. I did say 3-4 before Version 3. That's pretty good given my track record for delivering software.

First things first. Many thanks to the over 100 people who have gone to the trouble of registering on the site. I was surprised when I saw the number. You don't need to register to find tracks, so it's a good number.

What's changed you say?

You can now upload your GPS tracks direct from (almost) any type of GPS, so no more hassle manually converting your files into GPX format so we could process it.
Courtesy of GPSBabel (http://www.gpsbabel.org/), when you upload your file, we should be able to recognise the type and do the appropriate conversion. There are over 50 different file types supported.

Now obviously we don't have 50 different GPSs to test this shizzle with, so what do we need now? We need you! Get your Garmins, TomToms, Magellans and IGN Rando(!)s out, upload a track to your PC, then put it in to TAuT.

There is a new option in the 'Edit tracks' list to quickly view just the track you have uploaded, so you will be able to see if it gets converted properly.

If it does, all well and good, if not, contact me (attach the file to your message) and I'll try to see what the problem is.

The system tries to work out what type of file it is from the extension on the file name, eg .gdb is Garmin, but there are some that it can't work out, so you may need to choose the appropriate type from the menu supplied.

If this works well, we could even go 'live' soon.

Cheers
Peter

PS If you've forgotten the address it is:
http://transaustraliatrail.com.au/
Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 AM   #85
Silky
Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer: 1,273
Hi Pete,

I'm getting a few "Unable to display track" errors coming up.

The first track and the Colo Heights to Bilpin are two, third track I tried worked.

Silky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #86
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmmm, that 'Alice' track has had some problems loading at various times, but not sure if it is related to being the first track loaded, or the track itself.

Then if one fails to load, the next one usually fails as well, which is probably a bug on my part. Will look into it. Colo heights should definitely load ok. Try repeating the load and see if it comes through the second time.

I have checked all the tracks and they do all display, but I might have to increase the timeout on the first one loaded.

If others have the same problem could you post here.

Cheers
Peter
Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #87
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
I was trying last night, and the Birdsville, Simpson Desert, Alice Springs track won't appear - I just see some flashing flag icons on a world map.

Like the site though/ Thumbs up!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #88
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Couple of changes/fixes.

The 'Alice' track was a bit too large for GoogleMaps to handle reliably. I thought I was slimming them down, but I wasn't. I am now. It may mean that a tight, short track may not appear to exactly follow the actual path, but it is pretty close.

It doesn't affect the original GPS file, just the display on the map.

So 'Alice' should display reliably now. Tell me if it doesn't.

The 'Birdsville' track was displaying a whole set of unrelated gumpf, eg Garmin Offices around the world, and a trip to Bali. I've edited the track to remove this stuff, so it should be ok now.

It does highlight though, that you need to be careful with what you upload. You are making a precise record of your movements available to the public. So if you switch on your GPS as you leave home, you will be broadcasting your home address to the world. Not an issue if you don't care, but if you do, remember to edit the track to get it started from some generic point.

I've also updated the track view page to look exactly like the 'find a track' page, so you can see the waypoints etc.

And, big change, the track colour is now plain old red. It is the best compromise that a colour-blind old fart like me can find that will display on all 3 backgrounds, ie Map, Map with terrain, and Satellite. If you think another colour would be better, let me know.

Cheers
Peter
Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #89
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Birdville,Simpson,Alive track working now. I like the red, easy to see on all background. nice work Peter s
Old 05-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #90
APC Rally
Banned

Oddometer: 784
When i download i am getting gpx file in a word document

Could someone please give me any advice . I down loaded the gps babel but it did not make a difference.
APC Rally is offline   Reply With Quote