Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #91
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,452
Nice picture of George on the GS there Pete ...
Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #92
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWebtrax View Post
Couple of changes/fixes.

The 'Alice' track was a bit too large for GoogleMaps to handle reliably. I thought I was slimming them down, but I wasn't. I am now. It may mean that a tight, short track may not appear to exactly follow the actual path, but it is pretty close.

It doesn't affect the original GPS file, just the display on the map.

So 'Alice' should display reliably now. Tell me if it doesn't.
I think google has an API for changing what gets displayed based on the zoom level? Perhaps you could show the fully detailed path when zoomed in close?
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #93
alexgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
great site. I tried to check few tracks and dont understand the difficulty level. What does it mean? Ok Ok I know BUT last time few folks suggested me to take shortcut to the highway telling me that THIS TRACK IS EASY. They sought that I am on big bike R1200GSA. Well, it was bad joke and I was swearing in all knowing languages trying to get out of that easy track. May be it could be a good idea to add type of the bike that can get through the track?
alexgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #94
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgg View Post
great site. I tried to check few tracks and dont understand the difficulty level. What does it mean? Ok Ok I know BUT last time few folks suggested me to take shortcut to the highway telling me that THIS TRACK IS EASY. They sought that I am on big bike R1200GSA. Well, it was bad joke and I was swearing in all knowing languages trying to get out of that easy track. May be it could be a good idea to add type of the bike that can get through the track?
Yeah, and also even though I ride a bike that can go just about anywhere I don't always have off road tyres fitted and would like to know beforehand if I need to be running knobbies.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #95
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
That site is fantastic. I can see alot of work went into it.
Been after something like this for ages.

A feature i'd suggest would be a link up tool, say if you want to ride from Sydney to Perth, perhaps it would look up all the submitted tracks and link them together to form 1 big trip with the best stuff to see on the way?

I'll be submitting some GPX files of my interesting adventures over the coming days :)
Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #96
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by APC Rally View Post
Could someone please give me any advice . I down loaded the gps babel but it did not make a difference.
Can you give me a bit more detail?

Are you clicking on the last icon before the name of the track, or one of the 'GPX' links in the popup info windows?

What web browser are you using, and what version?

The GPX files all have the '.gpx' extension on them, so when you click it should ask you if you want to save or open the file. Save it, don't open it. If you try to open it, it will depend on what program is capable of opening .gpx files, and your machine may be silly enough to try using Word.

You shouldn't need the GPS babel program. We use it to convert the files when they are uploaded to the site.

Cheers
Peter
PeterWebtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #97
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
I think google has an API for changing what gets displayed based on the zoom level? Perhaps you could show the fully detailed path when zoomed in close?
Yes, it does if you are drawing the tracks yourself, but I am using their KMLOverlay feature, which has limited capabilities. Doing it myself is next on the list.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #98
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, one of the problems is that many people don't seem to be changing the default setting from '3 Moderate'. So, doesn't matter what the scale is if they don't choose an appropriate one.

I picked a 5 level scale as it was relatively easy to describe, rather than relying on a number, eg 1-10, where people's ideas may differ. It is meant to be generic, ie not specific to a particular type of bike. Ie, a 'difficult' ride would be considered difficult regardless of what bike you used.

There is a similar problem with the 'track type' classification. Should we use percentages, or more generic descriptions like we have.

I don't have any good answer.
Cheers
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgg View Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #99
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis View Post
Nice picture of George on the GS there Pete ...
I still smile looking at that photo with Lorraine left behind while George did the mud. She had to walk all the way across that one, and some mongrel in a 4WD drove straight past and didn't offer to pick her up.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask for contributions for the banner photo. I'm sure George won't mind sharing the banner spot with others.

So if anyone has any photos they think suitable, send them through.

Cheers
Peter
Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #100
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, not sure I can physically join the tracks, but I envisage using the 'tags' to do something similar. Ie, the tag for 'Across Aus, East West' should bring up only those tracks people think are suitable to be part of a cross-country journey.

I guess this was half the reason I designed the site this way, so that you could pick and choose tracks from the list to join them together on the map and make a good journey out of it. None of the other sites offered this.

Cheers
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
That site is fantastic. I can see alot of work went into it.
Been after something like this for ages.

A feature i'd suggest would be a link up tool, say if you want to ride from Sydney to Perth, perhaps it would look up all the submitted tracks and link them together to form 1 big trip with the best stuff to see on the way?

I'll be submitting some GPX files of my interesting adventures over the coming days :)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #101
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There is a similar problem with the 'track type' classification. Should we use percentages, or more generic descriptions like we have.
I like DSMRA's ride grades: https://www.dsmra.asn.au/grading_system.php

Perhaps you could contact them, and ask for permission to copy it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #102
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Yes, one of the problems is that many people don't seem to be changing the default setting from '3 Moderate'. So, doesn't matter what the scale is if they don't choose an appropriate one.

I picked a 5 level scale as it was relatively easy to describe, rather than relying on a number, eg 1-10, where people's ideas may differ. It is meant to be generic, ie not specific to a particular type of bike. Ie, a 'difficult' ride would be considered difficult regardless of what bike you used.

I don't have any good answer.
Cheers
Peter
It's going to be difficult to get it perfect whatever system you use. That DSMRA system looks ok, but it still doesn't give enough info. I can ride most trailbike tracks on the TDM, but I'd get into trouble in particularly steep or deeply rutted or rocky sections. Perhaps you could insist on bike model and tyre type in ride descriptions?

Another problem is the rating needs to cover the entire track, so while 95% might be easy dirt roads, if a section is deep sand etc it needs to be rated as harder. An easy clay road becomes difficult with some rain, an easy sand track after a rain becomes difficult when it's dry and soft. Encouraging good info in the ride description seems the best way. Links to ride reports are excellent.

eRRmmm screwed with this post 05-12-2011 at 03:17 PM
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #103
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, the rating can only be a general advice. My classic example would be the Lorella Springs OCR, which was a 3000k doddle on nice dirt for most, followed by 30k of horror for many who weren't prepared for it, including me. That info needs to go into the description.

I might try putting some 'advice' type help messages next to the fields in the form to guide people in the right direction. I can't really force anyone to do anything. But, as admin, I do reserve the right to go in and modify info to my tastes if I feel disposed.

Also, some people are managing to put good info in the waypoints attached to the track. This displays when you click on the waypoint. I guess it depends on what software you have with the GPS and how easy it is to use.

I will probably go through the tags and do a severe cull on them soon. We don't really need town names etc in the tags as they can be found by searching on the description. I would like to make the tags specific to types of tracks, eg loops, day rides, cross Aus East West, cross Aus North South, etc.

Cheers
Peter
Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #104
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,452
Quote:
I still smile looking at that photo with Lorraine left behind while George did the mud. She had to walk all the way across that one, and some mongrel in a 4WD drove straight past and didn't offer to pick her up.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask for contributions for the banner photo. I'm sure George won't mind sharing the banner spot with others.

So if anyone has any photos they think suitable, send them through.

Cheers
Peter
Did he have the broken foot by then? -

Honestly he should write a book, amazing fellow.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #105
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I might try putting some 'advice' type help messages next to the fields in the form to guide people in the right direction. I can't really force anyone to do anything. But, as admin, I do reserve the right to go in and modify info to my tastes if I feel disposed.
How does someone edit an existing track? I clicked "Edit tracks" but that takes me to a login form that doesn't seem to work (it keeps telling me i didn't fill in the password field).

Anyone who has ridden a track more recently than the guy who originally posted it, would have a more accurate idea of how difficult it is.