User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
alphajory OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Blackwater to Gang ranch and places beyond

Since the weather has turned colder and the rain has started rather that riding i though that it was time that i stared to post some of the summer rides through the Caribou Country of South Central BC.

So instead of spending the night in Prince George and leaving in the morning off i go. For those of you that have traveled north to Alaska you would likely be familiar with Prince George, however instead of riding back down south via the highway and fighting with the cages and the local constabulary I headed off down the gravel routes south.

First part of the the ride is down the Blackwater forestry road, a high speed gravel run, that takes one through a variety of terrain and a variety of wildlife. Along the way you pass through the Grease trail and the telegraph trail both part of BC history.

But the Grease Trail will have to wait for the next ride

Although, I have yet to see any caribou on the numerous rides that I have taken though this country I can attest to the fact that there is a health number of black bears along the route, having narrowly missed and mom a two cubs as the crossed the road. No time for pictures as they were well gone by the time I gathered myself together after that close call.

Off we go again across the mighty Fraser river and into the town of Quesnel time to get fuel and head further south.

The ride was pretty uneventful from Quesnel to Williams lake and it was getting latter in the day so no time for pictures.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
alphajory OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
From William Lake after fueling the bike and getting something to eat it was time to head west once again. Having ridden a couple of of routes south it was time to try something a little different this time and I headed further west to Riske Creek and from there south to the Gang ranch

There will be no swimming in this Riske creek..

but the ride down the dunes looks like fun

The first part of the Riske Creek forestry road was very busy with logging trucks heading both ways every couple of minutes, mostly hauling Pine trees that were killed by the pine beetle. More that 70% of the pine forests in BC were killed by this small beetle. Once I had gone a few kilometers down the main road it was time to turn off and onto the road to the Gang ranch.

Finally no more trucks and dust clouds and I had the road to myself for the next couple of hundred KM's

Great view await.

great roads !!!!!!!!

The Gang Ranch, no ATV's but moto's are ok...

more great roads through ranch country

We arrive at the main ranch

from the ranch once again I get to cross the Frazer river.

From the Gang Ranch I headed south again to the town of Pavilion and then the next stop Lillooet, better be soon as i have just poured the last of my extra gas in the tank and i still a have a ways to go.

Made it just in time with very little fuel left in the tank but you want how much a liter for fuel.[IMG]images/icons/eek.gif[/IMG] Glad I'm not driving the cage beside me cause i would need a loan to fill the tank.

Time is getting late and I still have a ways to go, off down the road to the next stop Lytton. Then cross the mighty ferry, no waiver to sign here.

Down the Power lines I go to the the next turn towards Harrison Hot springs through the back way. But it getting late and it will soon be dark.

Not to worried I did this ride a few years back and the road was in pretty good shape and the scenery is fantastic.

What happened to the road? There must have been a couple of small mud sides that covered most of the road for the next couple hundred meters. Now if i could only find the video...

A few waterfalls later

and just before dark we arrive at the north end of Harrison Lake

only few more kms and i arrive at this days destination, a little tired but a great couple of days on the back roads of BC

alphajory screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 01:33 PM
alphajory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Great report

Been there, but not since 1966 on my Suzuki S-32 twin 150cc bike. We got no pictures, but traveled and camped in that area back then during the summer. My brother and I rode up to Ft St James for a look up the road to near Germanson landing.

Thanks for the pictures. My grandson lives in Quesnel.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote