Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,190
Australian helmet reform - good news & the bad news

AUSTRALIAN HELMET REFORM: SOME GOOD NEWS BUT A LONG WAY TO GO

For anyone new to this issue, Australia currently has a mish mash of contradictory legislation concerning helmet laws. For an in depth look click here.

If you read this and want to push for reforms then please sign the petition here.

THE GOOD NEWS
Great news from Queensland. From early 2015 there are new laws on lane filtering, bike control and helmet standards (read more here). Queenslanders can now legally use helmets complying with the European standard and purchase from overseas - as yet retailers are still not allowed to sell these in Australia but repealing federal laws on this is also on the agenda. Details here.

This has placed pressure on other States, several of which are looking at possible changes. Our hope is that signing the petition will help apply much needed pressure.

There is a national forum in Sydney on 19th February being held by Standards Australia (info here). The aim is to push for reform and while open to the public, we may not be allowed to speak (??!!) The Federal government is pushing for change but the problem is getting State governments to agree their State legislation only creates more mess and blocks getting a wider range of better helmets here and more bang for your buck. Read more here.

THE BAD NEWS
In all the other States, the conflicting legislation still means it's business a usual:
- the range of helmets we can buy is restricted
- helmet prices are greatly inflated compared to overseas
- current legislation goes against free trade agreements we've signed up to
- in some cases helmets meet a higher standard but not our mediocre Australian standard
- some helmets bought in some States aren't legal in other ones
- police can and do issue tickets for visors and cameras despite unclear legislation.

Recently Victorian riders are being fined $295 and three points for using tinted visors which legally equate with riding with no helmet at all. Read more here.

Riders are being fined up to $289 and three points for having cameras on their helmets despite unclear laws on this. While there may be a case for safety issues on this, as far as the law is concerned riders are booked with no legal basis. Read more here.

As a complement to the petition, Wayne Carruthers started a website here which lists the fines and demerit points for infringements and is planning pro-forma letters to police asking for a waiver of fines.

I WANT TO DO MORE
Pass the petition here to your mates and encourage them to pass it on too.

You can email the Minister for Transport in your State asking for changes in these areas. I've put a list of their contact details up on this thread. Some might ask you to write a letter instead but see how the email goes first. Wayne Carruthers has kindly provided the following standard letters for people to download and then adapt for themselves.

Click here
then download the letter for your State.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
On previous threads, these are the usual points of debate so thought I'd summarise them here.

If I sign that petition I'll get bombarded with email. Nope. They have quite strict privacy rules. At most they may eventually show you other petitions of a similar nature but they give you the option of opting out of those.

Just read the petition, can't even understand it! Yep. It's in politician-speak which means it's mostly unintelligble. Essentially it's saying to State governments scrap your messy legislation or at least make it comply with the Federal stuff so it's all consistent. This is the first and major critical step to cleaning up the mess.

Politicians are all lazy (insert expletive here), why even bother? Maybe in a lot of cases but a lot of them are in on this, especially at the Federal level. And look at the seemingly unbelievable changes in Queensland recently.

I can already get a cheap helmet, so why bother? The point isn't getting cheaper helmets, but we all have a budget so why not get the best quality possible within that budget? Current legislation drives up prices for no reason.

My existing helmet is fine, why bother? The current Australian standard isn't all that bad... it's just that like most standards it's largely based on helmet technology from over 20 years ago. Cleaning up the current mess is the first step toward an improved international standard that will reduce your chances of death/disability in the future.

I'm a dirt rider, why should I bother? Dude, it's the brotherhood and sisterhood of being on two wheels, why not share the love with your road riding cousins? :)

Allowing the purchase of helmets from overseas will hurt our local retailers Agreed re: Queensland's new laws! But scrapping all of the messy contradictory state legislation is just a first step. Repealing federal laws to allow retailers selling helmets with quality international standards is critical and on the agenda. Local purchase means more safety through guranteeing correct fitment AND supporting our local motorbike retailers.

I'm an Aussie and political apathy and cynicism are my religion. Amen. My apologies on this highly intrusive thread and as you were. :)

B1 screwed with this post Today at 12:46 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
MFJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
helmet reform

Signed the petition, rider's desperately need clarification
MFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Morizzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Old Campbell cops a lot of flak but there has been a bit of this going on with govt red tape being cut. You only ever hear about a the unpopular stuff. Its almost as if the media is biased.

If he would only introduce the historic vehicle system used in Vic with a log book and choice of 45 or 90 days rego before he is outed at the next election.
Morizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,540
I do not understand why you fellows have such issues with Helmet Laws - We engage an authority to make sure that items we can purchase and use legally in Australia comply with certain specs -

I have no problem if you want to wear an empty Ice Cream container onya scone and live the dream -

just dont have your friends and family complain if the ice cream container YOU chose to wear is the difference between you sitting slouching in a chair wearing a bib because of the dribble coming ou tthe corner of your mouth.

Geez louise move on
Old 12-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
jackafrica
sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer: 431
Signed the petition.

Cheaper helmets and country wide legislation would be a good thing.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis View Post
I do not understand why you fellows have such issues with Helmet Laws - We engage an authority to make sure that items we can purchase and use legally in Australia comply with certain specs -
Geez louise move on
It is simple, the State Authorities have stuffed it up

Until 2010 when the ACL (Australian Consumer Law) was implemented the sales and use helmet standards were largely uniform across Oz as the Commonwealth set the helmet standard and the State Fair Trading Depts mirrored the federal regulations so the State Road Use regulations referred to the standard set in the State Fair Trading Sale Regulations. This system served us all well for 30 years.

Under ACL the State Fair Trading Depts repealed legislation as part of the changeover so State definitions for helmet standards no longer existed, it all went back to ACCC. The State Transport Authorities did not understand what to do and implemented their own Helmet Standard definitions so what we have now is a difference between what is legal to sell and what is legal to use resulting in it being technically illegal to sell helmets required for road use and differences between States.

The motorcycle dealers technically break the law every time they put an AS/NZS1698-2006 helmet on the shelf, the dealership associations recognise this fact and they want it sorted out. We want access to newer better standard helmets at a lower cost, some riders cant wear AS1698 helmets due head shape and sizes

When it is all sorted out we can all move on, until then riders will continue to be issued infringement notices for offences they did not commit

WayneC1 screwed with this post 12-08-2014 at 06:17 PM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
scrobs
Armchair Drifter

Oddometer: 272
Where can I buy this compliant ice cream container
scrobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,802
Quote:

I have no problem if you want to wear an empty Ice Cream container onya scone and live the dream -

just dont have your friends and family complain if the ice cream container YOU chose to wear is the difference between you sitting slouching in a chair wearing a bib because of the dribble coming ou tthe corner of your mouth.

Geez louise move on
I agree but its not that simple.
You should be able to choose an ice cream container as a helmet but you can't without breaking the law.
I would allow people to do what they want and let Darwin take care of the rest. No helmet at all if that floats your boat.

But, that's never going to happen......

That the states have different laws in regards to this is a throw back to pre federation and has more to do with power than it has to do with safety. We could scrap state governments altogether with no discernible difference to the way we live. But I digress....

The important point is that the helmet is "safe", not does it have the right sticker.

Pick a standard, one standard, an international standard, and that's that.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrobs View Post
Where can I buy this compliant ice cream container
At any supermaket.I've gotta cheap 'no name' one.

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
I agree but its not that simple.
You should be able to choose an ice cream container as a helmet but you can't without breaking the law.
I would allow people to do what they want and let Darwin take care of the rest. No helmet at all if that floats your boat.

But, that's never going to happen......

That the states have different laws in regards to this is a throw back to pre federation and has more to do with power than it has to do with safety. We could scrap state governments altogether with no discernible difference to the way we live. But I digress....

The important point is that the helmet is "safe", not does it have the right sticker.

Pick a standard, one standard, an international standard, and that's that.
Im old enough to recall 1%er's especially riding without helmets at all in NSW - due to a loop hole that said the helmet would impinge on their ability to hear or some such nonsense I believe

One would expect that if you value your head enough to wrap it in plastic, so be it - Ive danced with the tarmac twice now - both times donned in Shoei Helmet - brain damage was no worse than before - if ya wanna put on a $30 one from uppercumbucta province in china - go for it is my argument.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Im old enough to recall 1%er's especially riding without helmets at all in NSW - due to a loop hole that said the helmet would impinge on their ability to hear or some such nonsense I believe

One would expect that if you value your head enough to wrap it in plastic, so be it - Ive danced with the tarmac twice now - both times donned in Shoei Helmet - brain damage was no worse than before - if ya wanna put on a $30 one from uppercumbucta province in china - go for it is my argument.

I would just like to buy that Shoei at the same as the rest of the world without having to fork out $200-$300 extra because it has to have an AS sticker on it.

And I would like to be to attach a camera to my helmet, if I so desire, without risking a fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
I would just like to buy that Shoei at the same as the rest of the world without having to fork out $200-$300 extra because it has to have an AS sticker on it.
Trust an old fellow - when your head bouncing the Princess Highway you really dont care about the price ...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Trust an old fellow - when your head bouncing the Princess Highway you really dont care about the price ...
Same product, why pay the extra? It is going to protect my head just as well. When I had my last accident, I was wearing a Shoei brought in the UK, certified to British Motorsports standards, I felt safe, I can see how an AS sticker would have made feel any safer.

I don't advocate no standards, but why pay extra for exactly the same product, just to have it certified to the AS.

Either way Qld will let me wear my EC helmet next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,802
Quote:
It's the helmet, not the price.

The real crime is that we get rogered mercilessly by a protection racket disguised as safety.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #15
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Same product, why pay the extra? It is going to protect my head just as well. When I had my last accident, I was wearing a Shoei brought in the UK, certified to British Motorsports standards, I felt safe, I can see how an AS sticker would have made feel any safer.

I don't advocate no standards, but why pay extra for exactly the same product, just to have it certified to the AS.

Either way Qld will let me wear my EC helmet next year.
It is what it is -