Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
KTM Rally Replica inspired 690 project

Test Bike:
Creedy's 2012 KTM 690 Enduro
Who: Creedy & Rod (inmates Creedyflyr & Chopper77)
Concept: Turn the 690 Enduro into a Rally Replica inspired Adventure weapon.
How are we going to achieve it: By adapting & fabricating parts from the 690RR\450RR to suit the 690 Enduro.
Why are we doing it: Because KTM wont & we can.
Background: This project started off with a 10 day ride from Newcastle to Birdsville & back we did in 2011. Rod on an XR650R & Myself on an XR400. During that ride We met up with Dom, an old friend of Rods who rode a KTM 660RR & we were blown away by this thing as it’s the 1st time We had laid eyes on such a beast. I was an instant fan & so started my love of Big Bore Rally bikes & adventure riding.
Fast Forward to 2012 & after staring at a screen saver of a 690 for a year, I made a call to KTM Newcastle & secured a new 690 Enduro. Then the evolution began.

2012 690 Enduro R with Rally Raid Evo2 Tanks is a great base for the project.

I knew I wanted the Rally style but the options at the time were limited to a few bolt on kits. None of which floated My boat, some were just downright ugly. My old Man always said ‘If you want something done right, Do it yourself’ So after a few sessions of staring in the garage, a plan was hatched to create My perfect Adventure bike just the way I liked.

After years of planning, in March 2014 we finally made a start.

Rodney doing his thing

Home for the next few months

Part 2 to come.
Creedy.

creedyflyr screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 09:06 PM
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

KTM Rally Replica inspired 690 project part 2

Cont:

Rod & Myself both work in the Aviation industry as Aircraft Structural Sheety’s with over 40yrs experience in sheet metal fabrication & composites between us. Rod currently works on the RAAF Hawk trainers & I’m on RAAF FA\18 Hornets working out of Williamtown. So we thought we could put our heads together & come up with a plan to use aircraft technology to build the best quality bolt on rally kit available with the ultimate aim of producing a quality kit to sell to anyone who wants one too. We are confident we can make the best fairings available by using tried & true techniques & advanced materials to make the strongest parts with plenty of crash resistance built in. We can also make standard 450RR fairings for anyone looking for OEM replacements.

Progress so far: I had previously purchased the Rally Raid Evo 2 tanks so we are basing the 1st prototype on these tanks as they are great looking tanks that aren’t too wide. I have sourced some 450RR fairings & Nav tower that we are modifying to suit the Rally Raid Tanks. Nav tower is installed & wired up & we aim to have the 1st prototype finished for a ride we are doing in September from Newcastle to Flinders Ranges & back.

I’ll keep updating the build as it progresses. Stay tuned….
Creedy.

creedyflyr screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 09:09 PM
Old 05-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,259
Well you're not the only bloke here with a penchant for Rallye bikes, I rebuilt Craig Hartleys old 660 Rallye a few years back, a diabolical device that attempted to kill me at every turn, bloody good fun though! Speaking of which, check out Hartleys 700RR for a few idea's would be my suggestion.
By the way....where did you get that Nav tower from....I'm casually in the market.

Cheers
Old 05-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I've never really liked 690's. Until now.
racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,870
Nice

What do you think of the pdm60

Been thinking about using one on a build that I'm doing but I think it might be a little bit limited
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Well you're not the only bloke here with a penchant for Rallye bikes, I rebuilt Craig Hartleys old 660 Rallye a few years back, a diabolical device that attempted to kill me at every turn, bloody good fun though! Speaking of which, check out Hartleys 700RR for a few idea's would be my suggestion.
By the way....where did you get that Nav tower from....I'm casually in the market.

Cheers
Yep, Ive drooled over that machine many a time! Its nice, but not exactly what I want.
Realty is, Rodney & I are just 2 Dudes making their Bikes into something awesome for ourselves. The bonus is, at the end of it, we will have the tools , materials & Jigs to make more if any one should want one too!

The PDM60 is an awesome bit of gear.Fully programmable, no need for fuses. Really makes things simple. seems to work but its un-tested as yet.

Got some more filling done today. Almost at the final shape.

Creedy.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
Eagle`02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Looking the goods Creedy
I like the look and functionality of the fairings and have thought of adding one to my `10 690, but I am still running only the standard tank setup.

Have thought of adapting a fairing to fit standard, but still not sure of which way to go and funds are too short to add tanks at present. (No JOB)

I think you may know a mate of mine at the base actually (Murph), he also has a 690 with tanks etc
Last I spoke to him he was still deciding on which Damper to buy

Keep this thread going mate, there`s plenty of interest out there for sure !!!
Eagle`02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 982
The fairing shape looks great! I've often drooled over the 450RR, it just looks right! Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing the end product.

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Looking really good Creedy!

Are you planning on extending the 450 Rally fairing just under the wings/air ducts in order to use the upper mounts on the Rally Raid tanks and not leave a gap?

What about the nav tower, are you going to produce a copy of the KTM pieces or is the idea that people get genuine parts directly from a dealer? The flat pieces should be easy and cheap to reproduce on a water jet if you can get them scanned, and the bent/welded roadbook mounting plate is not that expensive from KTM from what I know.

A great feature to copy/retain from the KTM rally fairing are quick release mounts in my opinion, the front I would do same as the original and the side mounts on the Rally Raid tanks should be easy to convert with a Dzus receiver plate as well.

LukasM screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 04:46 PM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Very curious, especially if you will be selling your build too.

Would love more detail on why you have decided to build your own vs what is out there already.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the positive feedback!!

Some questions answered in Yellow bellow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Looking really good Creedy!

Are you planning on extending the 450 Rally fairing just under the wings/air ducts in order to use the upper mounts on the Rally Raid tanks and not leave a gap?
No, we wont be extending the fairing to pick up on the Tank top mount, we are going to blank it off with a small fairing.

What about the nav tower, are you going to produce a copy of the KTM pieces or is the idea that people get genuine parts directly from a dealer? The flat pieces should be easy and cheap to reproduce on a water jet if you can get them scanned, and the bent/welded roadbook mounting plate is not that expensive from KTM from what I know.
Yep, one step ahead of ya!. Ive scanned all the parts of the Nav Tower into a 3D CAD program called CATIA. I can send the files to the fabricators in any format they need so if someone really wants one, we can reproduce them.

A great feature to copy/retain from the KTM rally fairing are quick release mounts in my opinion, the front I would do same as the original and the side mounts on the Rally Raid tanks should be easy to convert with a Dzus receiver plate as well

Yep, already done, I got a kit from Ebay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Very curious, especially if you will be selling your build too.

Would love more detail on why you have decided to build your own vs what is out there already.
I am building My own because I can. This is a project for Us & I am lovin every minute of it. From the research to the fabrication, I love it all & i get heaps more satisfaction out of building it ourselves, rather than just handing out wads of cash for something I'll probably modify to get it how i want it anyway. We are picky bastards & have pretty high standards when it comes to workmanship & most kits are either too expensive for Me or the quality or look is not what I'm after.
These kits will definitely be available for those who want one but at the moment our focus is get the 1st one done.
Mucking around with some color options in Photoshop

Thanks, Creedy.

creedyflyr screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 09:34 PM
Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Looks great, how much fuel do you end up with onboard?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Looks great, how much fuel do you end up with onboard?
Thanks Mate, 22.5L total fuel capacity. I would really like the OEM Rally tanks but I would have to sell my 1st born son to afford them & they dont come up on the 2nd hand market much.
Creedy.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
The new 450 Rally that KTM is selling- will they have parts for that on sale sometime?
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedyflyr View Post
Thanks Mate, 22.5L total fuel capacity. I would really like the OEM Rally tanks but I would have to sell my 1st born son to afford them & they dont come up on the 2nd hand market much.
Creedy.
No worries, Im surprised Safari don't do something similar to OEM tanks but slightly bigger as 30+ would be great. :)

panhead_pete screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 03:59 PM
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote