User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #1666
stuc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
More riding area closures

Well, another bite is to be taken from the once great pie that was our local riding areas . It's proposed in the new master plan to extend the Tidbinbilla NR east to Corin Road - thus incorporating the ex forestry area that runs up the slopes of the range along that road.
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/as...ement_2011.pdf

This area has become increasingly degraded - at least partly because locking up huge areas of the cotter catchment have led to increasing numbers of people driving/riding in smaller areas. Nevertheless if you are inclined for quick ride which keeps you constantly on your toes, this is still a good little spot. Or - was.
stuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #1667
havafati
Yassdafarian

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
My plans too [except for scull cap!], probably go up through Wee Jasper to Once Bitten, gotta luv that track!
Hoping 'Cold Flame is on though
Cheers
Baza
I'll probably do the Once Bitten as well.
Cheers
Fati

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb
havafati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #1668
BurraBob
Monarch #87

Oddometer: 249
Road Conditions in Victoria

For all riders seeking a ride this weekend, it might be worth checking this web site for road conditions

http://alerts.vicroads.vic.gov.au/
BurraBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #1669
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,416
Thank you Bob for that enlightening post, handy site to get onto,
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #1670
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,332
Once Bitten Humula

Yassdefarria

I'll be heading to the Once Bitten on the R80 G/S (I hope the Wagga crew arent blowing too many bubbles).

Questions for Baz and Dave.

Thinking via Sawyers to Wee Jasper to Tumut will be less cut up than Brindabella Rd.

Any news on the Tumut Wee Jasper Rd openness (via Tummorama)?

From there to Adelong, Batlow, Rosewood a bit of gravel then through to Humula

Maybe we can rendevous?

Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #1671
BurraBob
Monarch #87

Oddometer: 249
NSW Road conditions

Hi Dave, this may be helpful ...

http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/desktop.html

Cheers and enjoy - Bob & Sue
BurraBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #1672
davorallyfan
Commonist

Brindy Bridge

Brindabella Bridge!

davorallyfan screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 11:38 PM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #1673
davorallyfan
Commonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurraBob View Post
Hi Dave, this may be helpful ...

http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/desktop.html

Cheers and enjoy - Bob & Sue
Thanks Bob and Sue we will catch up soon I'm sure - looks like its Hwy or no way!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #1674
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Yassdefarria

I'll be heading to the Once Bitten on the R80 G/S (I hope the Wagga crew arent blowing too many bubbles).

Questions for Baz and Dave.

Thinking via Sawyers to Wee Jasper to Tumut will be less cut up than Brindabella Rd.

Any news on the Tumut Wee Jasper Rd openness (via Tummorama)?

From there to Adelong, Batlow, Rosewood a bit of gravel then through to Humula

Maybe we can rendevous?

Dave
Major damage out Wee Jasper way, saw photos from SES of 'Swinging Bridge', all under water - could only see the roofs of the shacks down there, see if I can get photos to post up.
Seriously DRF, I could only guess @ what that road would be like up through to Tumut, definately a Mess for sure, will put feelers out with SES contact & see what they say, 606 territory for sure.
Haven't heard from Dave as to his plans, if I go that way through WJ I'll take 'Kenny' [all knobbed up!], or otherwise I'll slab it down the Hume.
Dunno how Tumut will be either, could get stopped there by the 'Bidgee, Jugiong is rooted @ moment too.
Cheers
Baza
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #1675
havafati
Yassdafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Thanks Bob and Sue we will catch up soon I'm sure - looks like its Hwy or no way!
Hey Dave after pics on the book of faces I reckon I'll be going to the One Bitten by black top. Not feeling that adventurous yet on the big bike to be flouncing around on messy tracks. If I had a bit of time I could do a little look see out the Wee J and ask at the pub on the track to Tumut, mmmm maybe Thursday. Either way company's always welcome on a ride.
Cheers
Fati

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mv5qfk
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #1676
havafati
Yassdafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Major damage out Wee Jasper way, saw photos from SES of 'Swinging Bridge', all under water - could only see the roofs of the shacks down there, see if I can get photos to post up.
Seriously DRF, I could only guess @ what that road would be like up through to Tumut, definately a Mess for sure, will put feelers out with SES contact & see what they say, 606 territory for sure.
Haven't heard from Dave as to his plans, if I go that way through WJ I'll take 'Kenny' [all knobbed up!], or otherwise I'll slab it down the Hume.
Dunno how Tumut will be either, could get stopped there by the 'Bidgee, Jugiong is rooted @ moment too.
Cheers
Baza
Hey Baza I'm going to slab it down most likely. Say Yass main street Caltex 9.00am.
Cheers
Fati

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nbirev
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #1677
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
Hey Baza I'm going to slab it down most likely. Say Yass main street Caltex 9.00am.
Cheers
Fati

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nbirev
Sounds like it's a go, talking to SES contact - don't think we'd get through Tumut from Wee Jasper anyway, & Jugiong is rooted, all those tracks up through from WJ haven't been checked yet either,
So, yep, Caltex @ 0900 on Sat for a slab ride down to Humula, probably take the 'White Beast',
I'm off from 0930 Wednesday 'til Monday arvo but I've got heaps of work up here, mainly de-bogging the mower, gunna get the ARGO back on deck ASAP!
Cheers
Baza
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #1678
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
Not feeling that adventurous yet on the big bike to be flouncing around on messy tracks.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mv5qfk
First post hello everyone !

Little cautionary tale about bogs post extreme rain ...

In case anyone else is thinking it might be nice to go for a little ride in the hills ...

And is as clearly stupid as my good self ...

Popped out yesterday afternoon to take some pics of the big river - was heading to Wee J, via Long Rail Gully and the main road ...

In the hills behind Murrumbateman, came across a patch of smooth mud - which didn't look any different to the rest of the smooth mud I'd been riding over - innocuous stretch of about 15m at the base of a hill - drove over it, and the bike immediately sank into 2 feet of liquid mud - half way up the motor - when I stepped off, went straight down to knee height - almost impossible to extract my leg and move forward ...

Managed to get out, and then get some big sticks to prop the bike up - rain clouds beginning to gather - all bad ...

Hiked up the hill to get a mobile signal, and called a friend - battery cut out halfway through giving directions ...

Track that joins Bouchers Drive to Greenwood Road - no name - no traffic - some bored cows looking on ...

Friend arrived close to dusk, as the rain was starting, and I left the bike there overnight ...

We went back this morning with the 4WD and winch - the rain overnight had further liquefied the bog, and it had slid over on one side - waded in and righted it, then attached a rope to the front wheel and slowly extracted it by the winch - hated watching the full weight of a big bike half submerged in mud, all applied to the front wheel - ploughing a massive trench through the bog - was sure that the wheel would buckle or the forks bend - or something - but little alternative - assumed at that point that wet mud must have inundated it's guts in some fatal way, and that I'd just have to add a wheel or forks to the repair bill ...

But eventually it came out - absolutely chockers with mud - hardly recognisable as a DR - out of interest, I turned the key - green light came on - hit the starter - fired first go - unbelievable - dug out the worst of the mud with a stick, and rode it up the hill - dug out a bit more, and rode it home - half an hour with the pressure cleaner, and you'd never know it had left the shed - I'll have a good look at the wheel and forks again tomorrow, but it drove perfectly (rough dirt and highway) and I suspect I would have immediately noticed the effects of any buckling / bending / misalignment ...

My conclusions:
- View 210mm of rain on dirt roads differently to everyday rain ...
- Charge the phone ...
- Ride an unbreakable low-tech bike ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #1679
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,884
Yep, its wet.

Bogged my 4wd tractor on Monday in a spot I didn't know was a bog hole. Only had this block of land for 30 years, know a few spots to avoid, now I know another.

Just been marshalling the Mountains to Beach treadlie race this morning in the pising rain as they came through the village. Major re-routes, big challenges for the organisers.

Was out at Jindy yesterday on the DR and there are road closures everywhere, washouts mostly, including some causeways. And slippery too in places, and cold and wet.

Steve
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #1680
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I'm thinking I might put the tourances back on the unsubmarine for a while.
No point wearing out the Karoos when there aren't many dirt roads open.
Billy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote