Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #1861
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccoloco View Post
Struggling to find family/friends to do a 2 day road trip to potentially pick up my new bike down in Vic, near Ballarat.

Anyone have a bike trailer I could borrow? Needs to accommodate a 990...Happy to compensate, rather give $$$ to an inmate than a hire company.

Looking at either 24th/25th next week or the weekend that follows.

Or, if someone wants to have a painfully long drive with me & drive my fourby back.

Shoot me a PM

Thanks
I'll put the feelers out, not sure what I could find!
A 6'x4' box wouldn't be big enough, need a 7'x4' or 8'x4-5', how would a 10'x5.5' single axle plant trailer go? Should have it re-registered by then, just got a bit of tidying up for rego
& I've got 23/24 off if you want somebody to share the driving? Do it in a day easy.!
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 08:37 PM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #1862
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
All,

Ive sent a note out to the little group I usually ride with re a plan for a trip on Wednesday of this week.

Im not sure how many of that group will be keen, but thought it might be good to open it up to yourselves as well.

The current plan is to meet up at the Bakery on Gibralter St, Bungendore, a bit before 8:30am, then head into Tallaganda via Forbes Creek and Mulloon FT - south by Bombay FT, and from there a mix of southerly trails [have talked to the parks office, who assure me that all the Tallaganda trails are open again] - we'll pop out at Numeralla, then south via Carlaminda Rd (etc) to Cooma ...

Lunch at the Kuma bakery in Cooma ...

Thence north via Rose Valley Rd and Peak View Rd - [if the creek crossings are dodgy, we'll duck back to Numeralla via Beresford Rd, and pick up Peak view just north of it] - then up Jerangle Rd as far as Tinderry Rd - across to Burra Rd - if time permits, via Urila Rd and Woolcara Ln to Cpts Flat Rd - from there, home in respective directions ...

Let me know if youre keen ...

PS: this one may be weather dependent the forest a bit dodgy in parts in the wet well see how the forecast is looking on Tuesday arvo.

PPS: probably not one for the big beemers and stroms comfortable seats notwithstanding ... J
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #1863
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Struggling to find family/friends to do a 2 day road trip to potentially pick up my new bike down in Vic, near Ballarat.

Anyone have a bike trailer I could borrow? Needs to accommodate a 990...Happy to compensate, rather give $$$ to an inmate than a hire company.

Looking at either 24th/25th next week or the weekend that follows.

Or, if someone wants to have a painfully long drive with me & drive my fourby back.

Shoot me a PM

Thanks
I just got a quote from Allwest MC Carriers to ship a DRZ from (of all places) Ballarat to Canberra - $385 - told me they did weekly runs on a Thursday, and it would be here the next day.

http://www.allwestmotorcyclecarriers.com.au/

Decided that might be cheaper than return vehicle running costs / overnight stay / etc ...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #1864
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
All,

Ive sent a note out to the little group I usually ride with re a plan for a trip on Wednesday of this week.

Im not sure how many of that group will be keen, but thought it might be good to open it up to yourselves as well.

The current plan is to meet up at the Bakery on Gibralter St, Bungendore, a bit before 8:30am, then head into Tallaganda via Forbes Creek and Mulloon FT - south by Bombay FT, and from there a mix of southerly trails [have talked to the parks office, who assure me that all the Tallaganda trails are open again] - we'll pop out at Numeralla, then south via Carlaminda Rd (etc) to Cooma ...

Lunch at the Kuma bakery in Cooma ...

Thence north via Rose Valley Rd and Peak View Rd - [if the creek crossings are dodgy, we'll duck back to Numeralla via Beresford Rd, and pick up Peak view just north of it] - then up Jerangle Rd as far as Tinderry Rd - across to Burra Rd - if time permits, via Urila Rd and Woolcara Ln to Cpts Flat Rd - from there, home in respective directions ...

Let me know if youre keen ...

PS: this one may be weather dependent the forest a bit dodgy in parts in the wet well see how the forecast is looking on Tuesday arvo.

PPS: probably not one for the big beemers and stroms comfortable seats notwithstanding ... J
Hoots,

Have you actually ridden through from Burra to Captains Flat Rd via Urila and Woolcara Ln?

I know it looks possible on the map, but I tried going in the opposite direction last year i.e from Captains Flat Rd down Woolcara Ln and it seemed to just end up going into someone's property?

Hopefully i'm wrong and it does go through, because that would be a handy route for me....

Cheers,
JD
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #1865
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hoots,

Have you actually ridden through from Burra to Captains Flat Rd via Urila and Woolcara Ln?

I know it looks possible on the map, but I tried going in the opposite direction last year i.e from Captains Flat Rd down Woolcara Ln and it seemed to just end up going into someone's property?

Hopefully i'm wrong and it does go through, because that would be a handy route for me....

Cheers,
JD
No, I haven't been down Urila Rd at all - thought it would be an interesting route to explore ...

That said, suspect that the day will be shortening by the time we get to Burra Rd - people may be keen to leave the exploring till another day ...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #1866
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
I just got a quote from Allwest MC Carriers to ship a DRZ from (of all places) Ballarat to Canberra - $385 - told me they did weekly runs on a Thursday, and it would be here the next day.

http://www.allwestmotorcyclecarriers.com.au/

Decided that might be cheaper than return vehicle running costs / overnight stay / etc ...
thanks for that.

That may be a better option, a combo of my fourby & the 990 will have me leaving a trail of $$$.

But, that would mean buying the bike based off the photos alone & being unridden, for a KTM it's a bit of a risk, though it has less the 5000K's on it & a service history....

Big decision.
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #1867
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
I'll put the feelers out, not sure what I could find!
A 6'x4' box wouldn't be big enough, need a 7'x4' or 8'x4-5', how would a 10'x5.5' single axle plant trailer go? Should have it re-registered by then, just got a bit of tidying up for rego
& I've got 23/24 off if you want somebody to share the driving? Do it in a day easy.!
Cheers
Baza

Thanks Baza, I stupidly sold my trailer to one of my brothers but he is off using it.
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #1868
tinbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Hoots, boots and no beemers.

PPS: probably not one for the big beemers and stroms comfortable seats notwithstanding ... J[/QUOTE]

Would have been keen to make it but have just organized to get a site shed delivered on Wed morning.That area is my back yard. May be next time, have a great ride guys. I am happy to lend a DRZ to any of the beemer boys so that they can fit right in!

Cheers Tinbum
tinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #1869
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,444
Quote:
No, I haven't been down Urila Rd at all - thought it would be an interesting route to explore ...

That said, suspect that the day will be shortening by the time we get to Burra Rd - people may be keen to leave the exploring till another day ...
I'm pretty familiar with most of those roads and what I have noticed is a lot of roads on the map are now gated private property. I have done a fair bit of have-a-go with mapped trails and roads out that way, some that I used previously (a fair while ago) and they are now mostly gated at some point, despite maps to the contrary. I think you'll find the main dirt roads all good, but sidetracks etc will ruin your day.
I think you should take a punt though and see what you find. Then let us know what's still open (it will be a much shorter list).
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #1870
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I'm pretty familiar with most of those roads and what I have noticed is a lot of roads on the map are now gated private property. I have done a fair bit of have-a-go with mapped trails and roads out that way, some that I used previously (a fair while ago) and they are now mostly gated at some point, despite maps to the contrary. I think you'll find the main dirt roads all good, but sidetracks etc will ruin your day.
I think you should take a punt though and see what you find. Then let us know what's still open (it will be a much shorter list).
Urila / Woolcara are the only unknowns - the other roads on the route I've been down in the last few months and are all OK from an access standpoint - I was a bit concerned about lingering flood damage - in particular, in Tally - but all apparently OK - a large number of downed trees cut up and removed ...
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #1871
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,571
Quote:
Thanks Baza, I stupidly sold my trailer to one of my brothers but he is off using it.

990 eh? Nice choice. Must ride one one day. Been resisting them for some time.

I do not own a car or trailer. But some of the bike movers would sweep though ballarat and canberra and can save you a lot of hasstle and work out cheaper too. Wayne will look after you and your bike.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #1872
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Rose Valley Rd through to Peak View Road is one of those that you will upset the locals if going through on bikes, or 4wds. Beresford Rd is fine though.

Chakola Rd is a better option as the gates are unlocked and its a right of way. You track along under the power line onto Chakola FT and can get onto Inaloy a couple of ways which will bring you out on Jerangle Road at Good Good, about 6 kms from Jerangle.

Alternatively head to Numeralla on Beresford Rd and head up the hill on Peak View Road to the end of the bitumen + 100m. Turn left through the gate and you can get through on Inaloy to Good Good on Jerangle Road OK. A couple of fords but OK at the moment. Another option exists at Numeralla through private property, but you need a key, which I just happen to have

This is all my back yard FWIW. Wouldn't mind joining in, but Weds am is too hard at the moment. Maybe when you come through Numeralla we could join up and I can ride with you for the afternoon for a bit? Is Badja FT on the itinerary? Maybe meet at Pikes Saddle? And I might have to be on the Berg if that's OK. The DR is getting prepped for the weekend when we are off to the Flinders Classic.

Some of these trails are in TripodTigers RR from January, the ones we did on Day 2, here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761630

Steve

Steve
Old 04-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #1873
Siva
Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer: 682
no way thru

ha ha....

Woolcara Ln is a DEAD END at some unhappy blokes farm

Tinbum and i have wondered up there a few years back...

Might be a good spot to camp and do some pig hunting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hoots,

Cheers,
JD
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #1874
Siva
Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer: 682
very funny......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

Would have been keen to make it but have just organized to get a site shed delivered on Wed morning.That area is my back yard. May be next time, have a great ride guys. I am happy to lend a DRZ to any of the beemer boys so that they can fit right in!

Cheers Tinbum[/QUOTE]
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #1875
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingellic86 View Post
I looked and I looked but couldn't find you
I know you were there.....Oh, hang on a minute, were you hiding from me
Evidence that you were there somewhere.......

Davo..... Thought it was a bit of a let down this year. Good job to all the people that got their bikes there.

Sorry darlin as discussed: riding with daughter, gelati, etc

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote