Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #2296
johmarq
RottenMongrelBastard

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
About time ya surfaced, talk that bloody old Graham [Nowra], into coming along too!
Cheers
Baza
Hi Baza, I'm always about lurking.
Will talk to Crampy, at this stage we'll be there on Friday.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #2297
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
The Razorback story made me think of some other rides in the area:

The WB line from Genoa to the Cann River Road -- all dirt but a superb and dry surface that wouldn't cause a problem for road bikes. It follows the ridge and has a helipad along the way for views back out over the Pacific. Great for a summer swim with Genoa Falls a bit further up the Cann River Road. And if you're interested in great swimming spots check out Nethercote Falls off the back road behind Eden. Bit of a walk down but really spectacular falls with a few twists on the way down and ledges to jump from into a long crystal pool.

For some great twisty sealed road along the river through rainforesty tree fern country try heading off the Princes Highway south of Cann River towards Combienbar. Along the way is a signposted turn off to the left onto a dirt road that climbs onto the Errinundra Plateau. From there you can head west to Bonang, McKillops Bridge and Jindabyne along the Barry Way and the Snowy River. If you go that way you can refuel at Seldom Seen and look at the puddles of alloy that are the remains of motorbikes that got melted in the big bushfires. The fellow there is a real character with lots of interesting vehicles, including a Mark III Zephyr with a V8 in it.

After Combienbar where the seal ends you can keep going on an overgrown track that will eventually bring you back on the Cann River Road. The easier way out apart from backtracking is the climb up onto the plateau on the wide logging road to the left. Watch out for the trucks though. This road leads into the radiata forests south of the Cann River Road.

Another good ride but for trail bikes only is from the first trail on the left heading east after the Belowra causeway. I think it's called the Belowra East Fire Trail. It joins onto Comerong and eventually to Little Sugarloaf to Bendethera Caves. An addition is the big loop on Minuma and Mongamulla crossing the Deua at "Alpine" and Dry Creek picnic area east of Araluen. Don't try when the river's up though. If it is you can get back out by going further east and rejoining Little Sugarloaf and then the Araluen Road not far from Moruya. The short way back to Canberra from Bendethera is via Dampier Trig, across the Shoalhaven, right towards Braidwood then Rossi and Hoskinstown to Queanbeyan or left to Pikes Saddle, Anembo and Michelago.

Ron50 screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 03:13 AM
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #2298
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by johmarq View Post
Hi Baza, I'm always about lurking.
Will talk to Crampy, at this stage we'll be there on Friday.

Yep, just posted in DR Muster thread about getting wood, etc.
Should be up there by 1500, coming on 'White Beast'
Probably backroad up to Binda then slab from there
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #2299
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post

The W1 line from Genoa to the Cann River Road -- all dirt but a superb and dry surface that wouldn't cause a problem for road bikes. It follows the ridge and has a helipad along the way for views back out over the Pacific. Great for a summer swim with Genoa Falls a bit further up the Cann River Road. And if you're interested in great swimming spots check out Nethercote Falls off the back road behind Eden. Bit of a walk down but really spectacular falls with a few twists on the way down and ledges to jump from into a long crystal pool.

For some great twisty sealed road along the river through rainforesty tree fern country try heading off the Princes Highway south of Cann River towards Combienbar. Along the way is a signposted turn off to the left onto a dirt road that climbs onto the Erinundra Plateau. From there you can head west to Bonang, McKillops Bridge and Jindabyne along the Barry Way and the Snowy River. If you go that way you can refuel at Seldom Seen and look at the puddles of alloy that are the remains of motorbikes that got melted in the big bushfires. The fellow there is a real character with lots of interesting vehicles, including a Mark III Zephyr with a V8 in it.

After Combienbar where the seal ends you can keep going on an overgrown track that will eventually bring you back on the Cann River Road. The easier way out apart from backtracking is the climb up onto the plateau on the wide logging road to the left. Watch out for the trucks though. This road leads into the radiata forests south of the Cann River Road.

Another good ride but for trail bikes only is from the first trail on the left heading east after the Belowra causeway. I think it's called the Belowra East Fire Trail. It joins onto Comerong and eventually to Little Sugarloaf to Bendethera Caves. An addition is the big loop on Minuma and Mongamulla crossing the Deua at "Alpine" and Dry Creek picnic area east of Araluen. Don't try when the river's up though. If it is you can get back out by going further east and rejoining Little Sugarloaf and then the Araluen Road not far from Moruya. The short way back to Canberra from Bendethera is via Dampier Trig, across the Shoalhaven, right towards Braidwood then Rossi and Hoskinstown to Queanbeyan or left to Pikes Saddle, Anembo and Michelago.
Sounds like a great ride , must copy this lot of instructions & organise a look-see trip,
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #2300
Oz Nutter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Bluhduh Did you get to the Mitchell sale?

Scored some bargins at the closing down sale of Canberra Moto's Mitchell store.
Alpine Star "track" pants for girlfriend ($679 retail) for $100.
Fox "Fluid" jacket for $38
Rego tube and plate frame $40
Moto Jacket $50
Arai XD3 $570
They had cheap stuff, heaps of parts,panels exhausts etc,could be good for someone's project.
I only got there on Sat morning, did you get there?
Little in the way of moto shops on northside now........

Oz Nutter screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 03:22 AM
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #2301
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,882
G'Day Wiz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post

The WB line from Genoa to the Cann River Road -- all dirt but a superb and dry surface that wouldn't cause a problem for road bikes. It follows the ridge and has a helipad along the way for views back out over the Pacific. Great for a summer swim with Genoa Falls a bit further up the Cann River Road. And if you're interested in great swimming spots check out Nethercote Falls off the back road behind Eden. Bit of a walk down but really spectacular falls with a few twists on the way down and ledges to jump from into a long crystal pool.

For some great twisty sealed road along the river through rainforesty tree fern country try heading off the Princes Highway south of Cann River towards Combienbar. Along the way is a signposted turn off to the left onto a dirt road that climbs onto the Erinundra Plateau. From there you can head west to Bonang, McKillops Bridge and Jindabyne along the Barry Way and the Snowy River. If you go that way you can refuel at Seldom Seen and look at the puddles of alloy that are the remains of motorbikes that got melted in the big bushfires. The fellow there is a real character with lots of interesting vehicles, including a Mark III Zephyr with a V8 in it.

After we conquered Razorback, and got to Brown Mt it was 19:00, so phone call to Delegate Pub to roder steaks for 20:15 and off on the slab. Day 2 was meandering to McKillops via some tracks and trails, Buchan, Orbost and Bellbird Pub for the night. Then some coastal tracks to the Mallacoota Pub for another session and the next day home via Genoa, and tracks and trails to Myrtle Mt, then Cattlemans and Postmas Tracks to New Line Rd, Nimmity etc. Can email the kmz files if you are interested.

Had to be in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, so coming home, decided to stay at Sydenham Inlet Pub. All through the area, up the Cann Valley, and down to Orbost, timber is down everywhere after the big storms a month ago. Most tracks, trails, and forest roads are closed due to timber down. Its a real mess, and you can even see it on the Princes Hwy. Sydenham Inlet was cut off for 4 days while they cleared the road.

It'll be a while before ots possible to link all this together again, but I'm keen.

Steve
Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #2302
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
A useful book for easy trails in this area is "4WD Touring South East New South Wales and East Gippsland" by Rocky Hall residents Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage. It is published by Boiling Billy Publications, www.boilingbilly.com.au.

Ron50 screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 11:52 PM
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #2303
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Home!

Nimmitabel - Countegany - Slap Up fire trail (not the best place for a jacket zip to fail) - Captains Flat - Canberra is done and dusted. The road from Nimmitabel was no drama, it's similar to Tuross Rd. Some of those roos must be the size of horses!

As for the bike - Fiona the Ural did 575km the first day, then the ride above and finished with a run straight up the freeway Canberra - Newcastle, which it did in 6 hours (it would be 5 hours in the car).

Ural ran perfectly, all I did was put air in the tyres.

I'll post a ride report soon...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #2304
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,215
It was good to meet you at Bemboka Bakery there Rossco, glad the Ural is performing as you'd wish. It looks pretty good in the flesh too.
A failed zip lets the warm out and the coldness in, not too handy around Canberra this time of year. I hope your frozen bits thaw out soon eh.
I reckon Brown Mountain would have been entertaining with the chair too.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #2305
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,718
hey Rosscau..next time your down NE Vic way lemme know...I'd like to see your outfit.

BTW ..get yourself one of those workwear yellow luminous raincoat things with the warm built in lining....they dont sweat and are warm as toast...never ride anywhere without mine ...about $ 70.00 from Rays Outdoors....mind you..it wont save you from getting clobbered by a car...

unc
Old 07-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #2306
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I reckon Brown Mountain would have been entertaining with the chair too.
I should post the GPS track log for the climb up Brown Mtn! Steady as she goes... 45-55kph but I can say nobody caught up to me the whole way. Not much traffic...

Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #2307
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
hey Rosscau..next time your down NE Vic way lemme know...I'd like to see your outfit.

BTW ..get yourself one of those workwear yellow luminous raincoat things with the warm built in lining....they dont sweat and are warm as toast...never ride anywhere without mine ...about $ 70.00 from Rays Outdoors....mind you..it wont save you from getting clobbered by a car...
I was lucky I had an old parker with me, it did a remarkable job all things considered. I'll check up those jackets though.

You might see more of me down that way than you think. I was down there to look at places to move to...

Link to my ride report

Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #2308
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Overnight South Coast Ride: Thursday 12 - Friday 13 July

JD and I are putting together an overnight ride to the south coast - the plan at this stage (so you can check it out on Google or hard maps):

• Leaving from Captains Flat 9:00am Thursday morning , thence Countegany via Jerangle Rd, Anembo Rd, Slap-Up FT and the Braidwood-Numeralla Rd.
  • Turn off onto Tuross Rd, then follow this to the turnoff to Wadbilliga Rd - take that down through Bourke's Rd and Yowrie Rd, then turn left onto Wandella Rd - turn right off that onto TinPot Rd, which continues into Yellow Creek Rd - straight ahead at the 4-ways, onto Wild Horse Creek Rd - then follow that down to the Wagonga Scenic Drive - thence (a few little lefts and rights) to Narooma ...
  • Stay overnight at the Surf Beach Holiday Park - can either camp or stay in a cabin - camp sites are right on the beach - some good places to eat (good seafood) ...
http://www.naroomaholidayaccommodation.com.au/index.html
  • Back home - in reverse up to the 4-ways (above), then right onto Reedy Creek Rd - left onto River Rd, and follow that through to Cadgee Mt Rd - take that on to Belowra Rd, then follow through to Falcon Rd - turn off onto Badja Forest Rd, which takes you back to the Braidwood-Numeralla Rd.
  • We can then see how were doing for time - if early in the day, then back via some of the Tallaganda FTs - otherwise via Polly's Gully Rd, Peak View Rd and Jerangle Rd ...
This one should be OK for most people - we wont going via Erzberg, as per Steve BDs recent trip with his band of merry men and broken Triumphs ... Ive checked the status of the roads and river crossings (mostly bridges) and we should be OK ...

Fuel: Ill estimate kms more accurately with the GPS in due course, but suspect well each need to carry at least 300km fuel in either direction to be safe.

Let me know if keen - Hoots
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #2309
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Overnight South Coast Ride: Thursday 12 - Friday 13 July

JD and I are putting together an overnight ride to the south coast - the plan at this stage (so you can check it out on Google or hard maps):

• Leaving from Captains Flat 9:00am Thursday morning , thence Countegany via Jerangle Rd, Anembo Rd, Slap-Up FT and the Braidwood-Numeralla Rd.
  • Turn off onto Tuross Rd, then follow this to the turnoff to Wadbilliga Rd - take that down through Bourke's Rd and Yowrie Rd, then turn left onto Wandella Rd - turn right off that onto TinPot Rd, which continues into Yellow Creek Rd - straight ahead at the 4-ways, onto Wild Horse Creek Rd - then follow that down to the Wagonga Scenic Drive - thence (a few little lefts and rights) to Narooma ...
  • Stay overnight at the Surf Beach Holiday Park - can either camp or stay in a cabin - camp sites are right on the beach - some good places to eat (good seafood) ...
http://www.naroomaholidayaccommodation.com.au/index.html
  • Back home - in reverse up to the 4-ways (above), then right onto Reedy Creek Rd - left onto River Rd, and follow that through to Cadgee Mt Rd - take that on to Belowra Rd, then follow through to Falcon Rd - turn off onto Badja Forest Rd, which takes you back to the Braidwood-Numeralla Rd.
  • We can then see how were doing for time - if early in the day, then back via some of the Tallaganda FTs - otherwise via Polly's Gully Rd, Peak View Rd and Jerangle Rd ...
This one should be OK for most people - we wont going via Erzberg, as per Steve BDs recent trip with his band of merry men and broken Triumphs ... Ive checked the status of the roads and river crossings (mostly bridges) and we should be OK ...

Fuel: Ill estimate kms more accurately with the GPS in due course, but suspect well each need to carry at least 300km fuel in either direction to be safe.

Let me know if keen - Hoots
Subject to the usual variables, I'm in, although may not go all the way to CF to meet up on Thursday. I'd prefer a cabin, are you doing a bulk booking, or are we sorting it ourselves?

Would be good to include the Badja FT either or both ways too, good fun easy trail, and magnificant views from Badja Trig. - Pikes Saddle to Woila Ck FT and Falcon or Badja Forest Rd.

Steve

Steve
Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #2310
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Subject to the usual variables, I'm in, although may not go all the way to CF to meet up on Thursday. I'd prefer a cabin, are you doing a bulk booking, or are we sorting it ourselves?

Would be good to include the Badja FT either or both ways too, good fun easy trail, and magnificant views from Badja Trig. - Pikes Saddle to Woila Ck FT and Falcon or Badja Forest Rd.

Steve

Steve
Good news Steve!

Was intending to make a group booking, pending interest - will see how the turn-up is looking in a day or so, when poeple have had a chance to read the post and think about it ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote