Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #2581
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
Has anybody been down Long Plain Road lately... what kinda condition is it in?

thanks
A couple of weeks ago Long Plain was fine, Broken Cart a bit slimey with a few trees down and then Barnetts/Boundary Road iffy in a few spots for road bikes with deep slimey clay mud holes. The Powerline road to Goobarragandra is still cut in two places by landslides.
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #2582
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post
A couple of weeks ago Long Plain was fine, Broken Cart a bit slimey with a few trees down and then Barnetts/Boundary Road iffy in a few spots for road bikes with deep slimey clay mud holes. The Powerline road to Goobarragandra is still cut in two places by landslides.
Thanks, not taking a "road" bike... just bought a KLR with extras last week and wanting to see what it can do.... I've very little experience riding on dirt, so thought a circuit down Long Plain road and back up Boboyan would be a good start.

Only ride I've done so far is to Bendora Dam (Saturday), and the road in to Piccadilly was pretty slippery... was still raining a bit. The bit to Bendora was much drier.

So... guessing then that the yellow dashes on my map are powerline trails? (HEMA Snowy - Kosciuszko map)
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #2583
havafati
Yassdafarian

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Thanks, not taking a "road" bike... just bought a KLR with extras last week and wanting to see what it can do.... I've very little experience riding on dirt, so thought a circuit down Long Plain road and back up Boboyan would be a good start.

Only ride I've done so far is to Bendora Dam (Saturday), and the road in to Piccadilly was pretty slippery... was still raining a bit. The bit to Bendora was much drier.

So... guessing then that the yellow dashes on my map are powerline trails? (HEMA Snowy - Kosciuszko map)
Just making sure your aware that long plain is inaccessible from Crace Rd and you have to enter from Barnetts Rd/Boundry Rd - Broken Cart fire trail. I made that error when I first started riding the area, map says one thing property owners say uh uh no way big friggin gate.
Cheers
Fati
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #2584
stuser
Putt putt putt

Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
Just making sure your aware that long plain is inaccessible from Crace Rd and you have to enter from Barnetts Rd/Boundry Rd - Broken Cart fire trail. I made that error when I first started riding the area, map says one thing property owners say uh uh no way big friggin gate.
Cheers
Fati
so... you saying that I can't get onto Long Plain if I just head south from Brindabella, and that I have to do a big detour?

Where is Crace Road?

EDIT: actually I have found Crace Road on google maps, "becomes" Long Plain road. Well that is some big detour. Annoying.

How crappy is the fire trail? Is it actually passable at the moment?

stuser screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 05:45 PM
Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #2585
havafati
Yassdafarian

Quote:
so... you saying that I can't get onto Long Plain if I just head south from Brindabella, and that I have to do a big detour?

Where is Crace Road?
Crace road is the road that turns left over the bridge coming from Canberra in the Brindabella valley. You have to continue on up Brindabella road till you get to Barnetts road and then turn left. Can be a bit hairy in there for newbie and it's not exactly signposted very well either once your in there. Still if your with a mate it's a great day out. You'll definitely get dirty.
Cheers
Fati

Here what it loos like on google maps. I can only get you to Barnetts Rd the rest you have to rely on your maps.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #2586
stuser
Putt putt putt

thanks for that....

damn what is with the gate!

I only have 3 hours this arvo to ride and then be back in north canberra so thinking that maybe I'll have to do something else..... not sure I'm up for wet fire trails just yet.

Cheers for the heads up - you've just saved me some pain, I think :) How silly of me to assume that the ROAD on the MAP would actually be usable.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #2587
havafati
Yassdafarian

Quote:
thanks for that....

damn what is with the gate!

I only have 3 hours this arvo to ride and then be back in north canberra so thinking that maybe I'll have to do something else..... not sure I'm up for wet fire trails just yet.
The gate is there because the road was handed back to owner to maintain and he got sick of 4WDers chewing it up and maintaining was tiresome so goodbye access. If your on the North side head out Mulligans Flat road to Gundaroo continue thru Gundaroo then turn left onto Yass River Road a couple of kms out of town. Then head into Yass and take the first left in town, Grand Junction Road, turn left onto Gum lane follow that to the end then turn left you'll then get to a Bitumen cross road turn right and follow that, Dog Trap Road, at the end there is Rural Fire shed turn left, Kavnaughs Road, and follow out to the Barton Hwy then its ten minutes back to town, Good loop good dirt. Enjoy.
Cheers
Fati

Here's a Map For some reason theres a bit added to the end of Dog Trap road just ignore that its a google maps error.

havafati screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 06:17 PM
Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #2588
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
The gate is there because the road was handed back to owner to maintain and he got sick of 4WDers chewing it up and maintaining was tiresome so goodbye access. If your on the North side head out Mulligans Flat road to Gundaroo continue thru Gundaroo then turn left onto Yass River Road a couple of kms out of town. Then head into Yass and take the first left in town, Grand Junction Road, turn left onto Gum lane follow that to the end then turn left you'll then get to a Bitumen cross road turn right and follow that, Dog Trap Road, at the end there is Rural Fire shed turn left, Kavnaughs Road, and follow out to the Barton Hwy then its ten minutes back to town, Good loop good dirt. Enjoy.
Cheers
Fati

Here's a Map For some reason theres a bit added to the end of Dog Trap road just ignore that its a google maps error.
An alternative southside loop would be Brindabella Road, Nottingham Road, Wee Jasper, Cavan and across the Murrumbidgee and out to the Barton Highway and into north Canberra.
The fire trail, Broken Cart, is passable for a trail bike.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #2589
havafati
Yassdafarian

Quote:
An alternative southside loop would be Brindabella Road, Nottingham Road, Wee Jasper, Cavan and across the Murrumbidgee and out to the Barton Highway and into north Canberra.
Definitely a good ride too
Cheers
Fati
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #2590
stuser
Putt putt putt

Quote:
The fire trail, Broken Cart, is passable for a trail bike.

Thanks for that. Looks good.

Is Caven near Nutter Hill?
and is there an actual crossing there....?

EDIT: found a crossing on Google maps. Thanks, I'll give that route a blast.

stuser screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 08:13 PM
Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #2591
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,317
From Canberra, the access to Long Plain Rd means riding to within a kilometre of the tar at the Tumut end, and taking the signposted trail.
The "old" access a few k's past the farm that always has cows out front hiding in the scrub is closed, and has been for a couple of years at least.
FYI.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #2592
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for that. Looks good.

Is Caven near Nutter Hill?
and is there an actual crossing there....?

EDIT: found a crossing on Google maps. Thanks, I'll give that route a blast.
Hope you came out on Kaveneys Road and not across Taemas Bridge and all the way out to Yass.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #2593
stuser
Putt putt putt

Quote:
Hope you came out on Kaveneys Road and not across Taemas Bridge and all the way out to Yass.
Cheers, yes I did.... all good. I took a relatively useless map, but remembered that Dogtrap road headed north and the road wanted went that way ....... it was sealed anyway so figured it must have been the right way ;)

It was a great route, took me quite a bit longer than I thought it would. Pretty windy, crappy roads! Yay, perfect for the bike.

I did mess up and forget to take sugary snacks and had blood sugar low and had a small crash on Caven Road, dammit... ouch...
Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #2594
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Cheers, yes I did.... all good. I took a relatively useless map, but remembered that Dogtrap road headed north and the road wanted went that way ....... it was sealed anyway so figured it must have been the right way ;)

It was a great route, took me quite a bit longer than I thought it would. Pretty windy, crappy roads! Yay, perfect for the bike.

I did mess up and forget to take sugary snacks and had blood sugar low and had a small crash on Caven Road, dammit... ouch...
Saw a few bikes poking around yesterday, [my house overlooks the Wee Jasper Rd],
Seems to be a popular route for day runs from Canberra lately, what's gunna happen when it gets tarred along Mountain Creek Rd????????

Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #2595
Fozzy
Time poor, bike rich

Oddometer: 94
Wee Jasper to Tumut road condition?

Hi,
Has anyone ridden the Wee Jasper to Tumut road recently? I'm tentatively planning to ride that way tomorrow and, forewarned being forearmed, am very interested in receiving recent ride reports...especially after the strong winds a couple of nights ago and the heavy rain a couple of days before that.
I'll be riding an F800GS with half worn TKC80 up front and Mitas E07 down back, loaded for camping.

Capability challenged, but keen...
Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote