Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #2716
lostnot
Just don't

Oddometer: 79
Circumnavigating the ACT

Hi all

Apologies if this has been a topic before but I'm trying to circumnavigate the ACT without going as far as the Snowy Mountains Highway. Obviously stuck on the Western side; trying to find an accessible trail from Yaouk to Brindabella Valley.

So far I've tried Lone Pine Trail which is blocked at the Kosciuszko park border and the Yaouk Trail which is blocked at the ACT border (Bimberri Wilderness Area).

Does anyone know of an accessible route?

Thanks

But when all is said and done, are you still having fun...
lostnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #2717
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnot View Post
Hi all

Apologies if this has been a topic before but I'm trying to circumnavigate the ACT without going as far as the Snowy Mountains Highway. Obviously stuck on the Western side; trying to find an accessible trail from Yaouk to Brindabella Valley.

So far I've tried Lone Pine Trail which is blocked at the Kosciuszko park border and the Yaouk Trail which is blocked at the ACT border (Bimberri Wilderness Area).

Thanks
Afraid the econazis have won and all the old trails are locked off.
It's still possible to get through on many where trees have fallen on fence lines but the trails aren't being maintained. The trail from Pockets Hut used to go straight down McLeods Spur directly into Brindabella and was used in some of the early Brindabella Enduros.
It is possible to go down the eastern side of McLeods, cross the Goodradigbee and up to Mt Ginini but it's not easy.
Leura Gap has been closed for years but going around the gate gives the choice of straight up the Mt Franklin Road to the left or Smokers Gap or Orroral to the right, with a few gates in the way.
The track down Stockyard Spur that leads from the Mt Franklin Road to the Corin Dam wall has just been reopened as a walking track.
Even the track down from the Mt Franklin Road to Brindabella a few kilometres south of the Bendora turn off has gates on it.
Broken Cart to Boundary Trail and then down over the sliprails into the valley was also used on old enduros.
The Cotter Rangers Hut has gates both sides.
So from Yaouk the legal routes are Rules Point, Broken Cart, Boundary, Brindabella Road or Shannons Flat, Tharwa, Cotter, Bulls Head. Sorry.
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #2718
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnot View Post
Hi all

Thanks
Wot Ron said. There are trails, but strictly illegal these days, and the rangers are not understanding about it either. You can have your bike confiscated - permanently - along with 3 grand in fines if you get the trifecta.
Don't even think about it.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #2719
havafati
Yassdafarian

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Wot Ron said. There are trails, but strictly illegal these days, and the rangers are not understanding about it either. You can have your bike confiscated - permanently - along with 3 grand in fines if you get the trifecta.
Don't even think about it.
+1 on What what Ron and Silla said. They have choppers with cameras n shit, I also reckon the they have motion detectors on some tracks and the buggers also have a squizz on here from time to time to see what we're up too. Ask me how I know you don't really have to, you can probably guess
Cheers
Fati
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #2720
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,790
............bloody sneaks.
Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #2721
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
+1 on What what Ron and Silla said. They have choppers with cameras n shit, I also reckon the they have motion detectors on some tracks and the buggers also have a squizz on here from time to time to see what we're up too. Ask me how I know you don't really have to, you can probably guess
Cheers
Fati

We're watching you!
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #2722
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
We're watching you!
Cheers
Baza
It’s old news now, but there was a piece in the Bungendore paper a couple of weeks back about 15 or so blokes who were busted riding illegally somewhere in the forests around Braidwood – probably reported elsewhere also (Canb. Times?) – heavy fines, with NSW Police stating that this is a bit of an imperative for them ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #2723
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
It’s old news now, but there was a piece in the Bungendore paper a couple of weeks back about 15 or so blokes who were busted riding illegally somewhere in the forests around Braidwood – probably reported elsewhere also (Canb. Times?) – heavy fines, with NSW Police stating that this is a bit of an imperative for them ...
They were probably in Tallaganda state forest (or wilderness, or national park, or whatever it is this week). I've seen groups of thirty or forty bikes, mostly unregistered motocrossers, banging around in there at stupid speeds (head-on anyone?) so I'd be hoping it was those knob-jockeys.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #2724
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
They were probably in Tallaganda state forest (or wilderness, or national park, or whatever it is this week). I've seen groups of thirty or forty bikes, mostly unregistered motocrossers, banging around in there at stupid speeds (head-on anyone?) so I'd be hoping it was those knob-jockeys.
I think it was out near Monga somewhere ...
Two had unregistered bikes, but the others (x13) were booked for riding where vehicles were prohibited ...
Those signs are probably worth taking seriously ...
Also perhaps the signs (e.g. Drs Flat now) which advise about video surveillance – the rangers have the motion-activated gear for monitoring trapping stations, etc, and pretty trivial to aim them instead at the roads less ravelled ...
Green Power in the ACT may now have upped the ante ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #2725
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]
Green Power in the ACT may now have upped the ante ...
What green power is that?
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #2726
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
What green power is that?
The ones that want to pull a sleight of hand by offering to support a purpose built motorcycle riding facility in the ACT so they can then quietly shut down more of the existing forest and NP trails to 2 and 4 wheeled users - being registered and licenced will make no difference.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #2727
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The ones that want to pull a sleight of hand by offering to support a purpose built motorcycle riding facility in the ACT so they can then quietly shut down more of the existing forest and NP trails to 2 and 4 wheeled users - being registered and licenced will make no difference.

It's a bit like a creeping green cancer - slips in and fucks ya while ya not looking,
bit like camping spots on rivers, no toilet facilities - no camping!
been a conservationist all my life, same as my father & grandfather,
preserving the land is one thing, strangling its use is another,
firstly we need common sense, shit I'm swearing again, need to eradicate feral animals - firstly - no I won't say it - someone else can!
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #2728
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,710
Anyone know if Angle Crossing ever reopened after the floods?Last reference I can find on ACT Gov site is still closed in June
Thanks for any update, Dave
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #2729
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
Anyone know if Angle Crossing ever reopened after the floods?Last reference I can find on ACT Gov site is still closed in June

Was open, the weekend of the 'Cold Flame' [two-three weeks ago], about 300mm deep
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #2730
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
It's been open for a while. It got shut while "they" did some work that must have been too horrible for the public to see, but I have used it since the flood closure and it's fine.
It's the same story for the boboyan road through namadgi, coming from the south is no worries, coming from the ACT is a big warning sign "4x4 ONLY" where the dirt begins. Beats me.