ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #3556
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallee View Post
Hi Bazza,
I went that way going to the Alpine and got to a gate saying "Private Proterty" not public road, was I on the wrong road or don't you worry about it?
Mallee
Council maintained with guideposts, looks like a road, I'll use it
As long as you stay on the road, shouldn't be a problem,
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #3557
Adenco
Adventurer
 
Adenco's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Caught in the ACT! Australia
Oddometer: 76
Good ride today, thoroughly enjoyed.

No pics- trying to keep up with a KTM 660(?) and having 2 KTM 990 super tankers looming large in my mirrors most of the day had me wringing the neck of WRR.

Now to start fluttering my eyelashes and dropping hints to the Minister of War and Finance for a new, more capable bike for my upcoming b'day

Alex
Adenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #3558
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenco View Post
Good ride today, thoroughly enjoyed.

No pics- trying to keep up with a KTM 660(?) and having 2 KTM 990 super tankers looming large in my mirrors most of the day had me wringing the neck of WRR.

Now to start fluttering my eyelashes and dropping hints to the Minister of War and Finance for a new, more capable bike for my upcoming b'day

Alex
the big orange bikes certainly love open flowing gravel roads ...

the angry 690, and the superlative 990 super-tankers ...

hard to imagine how they were conceived / engineered in a mountainous little country like Austria ...

that said, the tiger 800xc is also worth a close look ...

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #3559
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,730
Looks like I missed a good ride, bugger!!!
Make up for it tomorrow, gunna call in on some old friends up on Taylor's Flat road, & solve a few road & map mysteries
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #3560
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,249
Neck Braces

I've been thinking that a neck brace might be a good idea.

Be easy to come off at reasonable speed on a gravel road - roo / oncoming vehicle / obstacle on road / tyre / random stuff-up / etc ...

I know of one person who has a Leatt, and likes it.

Has anyone else had any experience with these or other braces ... ?

Any general opinions on neck braces per se ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #3561
Micl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: ACT Australia
Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Neck Braces

I've been thinking that a neck brace might be a good idea.

Be easy to come off at reasonable speed on a gravel road - roo / oncoming vehicle / obstacle on road / tyre / random stuff-up / etc ...

I know of one person who has a Leatt, and likes it.

Has anyone else had any experience with these or other braces ... ?

Any general opinions on neck braces per se ... ?

I have a leatt that I got for racing DH mountain bike and I do use on the moto as well. The issue comfort wise is compatibility with other gear. If I am commuting, riding with family or doing cruisey rides I don't bother. If I am out for a more serious play I wear it. It is comfy in summer with armour and jersey. My KTM jacket also has removable collar that allows you to wear a brace and its fine. I also have a cover for it to keep out cold, bugs and weather a bit that works well. They do restrict the ability to look behind you a bit but doesn't bother me too much. I suspect they could suck with jackets not designed for them.

The protection is great... I have a few stuffed vertebrae in my neck and have been seriously advised to stop falling on my head... Any neck impact leaves me really hurting with headaches for days. I have not crashed the moto with it but have had a number of big DH MTB crashes that were 40kph plus over the bars in rough terrain and walked away with no neck issues although the rest of the body doesn't always cope so well sucks getting old.

MicL
Micl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #3562
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micl View Post

I have a leatt that I got for racing DH mountain bike and I do use on the moto as well.
Thanks - yes, Leatt still seems to have the biggest market share.

I'll take my jacket / compression suit / helmet in when I look at them - the back-plate on the compression suit is already a bit annoying re' hindering looking up - particularly when standing on the pegs - back of the helmet hits it - gives you a sore neck after a few hours ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #3563
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,109
Protective gear can be a bit of a catch 22. Anything that creates discomfort and doesn't breathe can wear you out prematurely, increasing the likelihood of an incident.

If it fits and causes no problems when riding, its a good thing. This has to be balanced by the 'strange' feeling that its not normal. Good MX boots are a classic example in that they are stiff and reduce feel and access to foot controls, but once you adapt, there is no issue, and the protection is worth the transition period because once you've broken them in and adapted, they don't create ongoing issues. If you get comfortable with a neck brace, its got to be a good thing. ATGATT

When I go out on the Scorpa, I use minimal gear because it restricts the bike control that is not an issue on an enduro bike.

The answer is up to you.

__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #3564
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,443
The internet just took some more money off me.

Where were you all in my moment of weakness?

On a brighter note, I'll see if I can get some decent photos of my new "chez bike" to post next week, for your envious veiewing pleasure. Been pretty tied up with shed constructions for a few weeks now, nearly there though.

__________________
Death to Turnips.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #3565
Jdeks
Departed
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 944
I wore my Leatt about 8 hours a day for 2 weeks straight when I went to Bills sendoff. No discomfort issues for me, even in the heat. Only had one little faceplant in the dunes, couldn't tell if it did anything at the time, but I wasn't sore when I got up so no complaints here.

Some folks wear them over the top of normal jackets - I tried wearing it over the top of my old Latitude and just didn't feel like it would work properly. Sat too high, wobbled about. After talking to a Leat rep, and a few other folks who use them at far higher speeds than myself, consensus was you really should have them as close to the skin as possible. So I do that. Mind you, I'm using a Klim adventure jacket now, so there's none of the usual fitting issues with normal jackets,so I guess I'm just spoiled.

Really, the biggest problem I've had with the brace is f***tard MX kids taking the piss out of me for 'not riding fast enough' to apparently warrant having one....or maybe because I didn't have a matching trucker cap?
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #3566
JD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Really, the biggest problem I've had with the brace is f***tard MX kids taking the piss out of me for 'not riding fast enough' to apparently warrant having one....or maybe because I didn't have a matching trucker cap?
That would be the canberrariders.org.au morons that can't string together a sentence about riding without the words "roost" or "shred". I'd like to see how long they would last here if they tried posting up the same crap bagging out Adv riders.

You may have noticed hardly anyone posts on CR any more because of a handful of wankers, and the mods on that site either don't know or don't care.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #3567
maadonna
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 37
[QUOTE=JD;21762272

You may have noticed hardly anyone posts on CR any more because of a handful of wankers, and the mods on that site either don't know or don't care.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they do know & care but don't know how to deal with it / aren't brave enough to. To the level that when I told someone to piss off I had moderators thanking me. Bunch of babies, but I still like some of the folks I ride on road with who I met there. And there are still guys who don't know about this thread...

(Oh yeah...you mostly don't know me. I have a f700gs & a wr250r and am a pretty rubbish rider of both. But I slowly get better. I will no doubt invite myself on more rides when it stops being so freezing)
maadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #3568
havafati
Yassdafarian
 
havafati's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Yass, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by maadonna View Post
Actually, they do know & care but don't know how to deal with it / aren't brave enough to. To the level that when I told someone to piss off I had moderators thanking me. Bunch of babies, but I still like some of the folks I ride on road with who I met there. And there are still guys who don't know about this thread...

(Oh yeah...you mostly don't know me. I have a f700gs & a wr250r and am a pretty rubbish rider of both. But I slowly get better. I will no doubt invite myself on more rides when it stops being so freezing)
G'day Maadonna welcome to the asylum. Don't tell anybody else about this place.... the 1000's of us in here try to keep it a secret.
Cheers
Fati
havafati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #3569
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post

That would be the canberrariders.org.au morons that can't string together a sentence about riding without the words "roost" or "shred". I'd like to see how long they would last here if they tried posting up the same crap bagging out Adv riders.

You may have noticed hardly anyone posts on CR any more because of a handful of wankers, and the mods on that site either don't know or don't care.
I got bored with it and took myself off the system ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maadonna View Post

Oh yeah...you mostly don't know me. I have a f700gs & a wr250r and am a pretty rubbish rider of both.
No you're not ...

Come out and do some paddock practice sometime ...

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #3570
maadonna
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post

Come out and do some paddock practice sometime ...

I'm definitely going to - but am just about to go on holidays for a couple of weeks. Will come practice when I get back :-)
maadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014