User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #3736
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,294
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-2...42?section=act

Just a heads-up, the Alpine way between Thredbo and Khancoban is closed, due to a big landslip.

Might be useful for someone to know.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #3737
Dash65
wherethefarkarewe?

Oddometer: 302
Landslip

Only adds another 3 1/2 hours to the trip.

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional
Dash65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #3738
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,002
Any one keen and available for a ride on Thursday 01/07? Say meet at Hoskingtown for exit at 10.00.

Route can vary on the day to suit.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #3739
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Any one keen and available for a ride on Thursday 01/07? Say meet at Hoskingtown for exit at 10.00.

Hmmm Ride, sounds good, better not though,

The journey is the reward.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #3740
Adenco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:

Unfortunately my bike is at a mates place having the engine pulled apart.
10am starts is where its at though . If WRR not ready for next week(8th) I will be taking the CRF out to Tallaganda for a fix. Anyone welcome, no race numbers on my bike!

Comms;

Went for a ride with Hoots and Co. a few weeks ago and first question I got was "Do you have comms".
I have since figured out what his mate was on about. I have a fair budget for such things so some ideas as what to get will be appreciated.
Also looking at GPS eg; the garmin 62 series or a Rino.
Open to ideas as it gets a little confusing for the novice ADV rider to figure out what to purchase.

Regards,
Alex.
Adenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #3741
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

10.00 start still means 1.5 hrs for me to get there, so 08.30 depart here.

I generally prefer to have separate devices for separate functions, although this can become blurred.

I have:
3G rural tick Telstra prepaid phone.
5w hand held UHF, but only turn it on when I think there is a problem. I don't ride with it plugged to my ear.
Prepaid satellite phone, that has GPS location too
PLB (EPIRB with GPS)
Garmin Montana with v4 Aus Topo maps for navigation. Big screen for old eyes, but not as durable as the 62s or Rhino, probably
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #3742
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
10.00 start still means 1.5 hrs for me to get there, so 08.30 depart here.

I generally prefer to have separate devices for separate functions, although this can become blurred.

I have:
3G rural tick Telstra prepaid phone.
5w hand held UHF, but only turn it on when I think there is a problem. I don't ride with it plugged to my ear.
Prepaid satellite phone, that has GPS location too
PLB (EPIRB with GPS)
Garmin Montana with v4 Aus Topo maps for navigation. Big screen for old eyes, but not as durable as the 62s or Rhino, probably
Yep I gotta get me a real Telstra phone...

How much does a pre-paid satellite phone cost?

I'm keen to come on a ride with you Steve, but not this week..... my piston kit just arrived this afternoon so it and the cylinder are off to the engine rebuilders in the morning....

....now I need to buy myself some new valves now that I see that they are stuffed, which did come as a surprise.... There's always something unexpected....

Adenco... what are you doing to your bike?
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #3743
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post

How much does a pre-paid satellite phone cost?

< $500 with 2 years prepaid <> 1 hr calls, utilising Govt subsidy, so about 1/2 price. Not hard to get the subsidy either.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #3744
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenco View Post

Unfortunately my bike is at a mates place having the engine pulled apart.
10am starts is where its at though .

If WRR not ready for next week(8th) I will be taking the CRF out to Tallaganda for a fix. Anyone welcome, no race numbers on my bike!

Comms;

Went for a ride with Hoots and Co. a few weeks ago and first question I got was "Do you have comms".
I have since figured out what his mate was on about. I have a fair budget for such things so some ideas as what to get will be appreciated.
Also looking at GPS eg; the garmin 62 series or a Rino.
Open to ideas as it gets a little confusing for the novice ADV rider to figure out what to purchase.

Regards,
Alex.
The headsets we use come from Watts Communications in Fyshwick - dead easy to set up the ear-pieces inside the helmet lining - some attach the handset to their jackets, which has advantages - I attach mine to the bike (behind the little windshield), with a break-away connection to the headset wire ...

The headsets from Watts works very well, but I made the mistake of buying the cheapest possible Uniden handset (from Dick Smith) - it sort-of works, but not very well - others with the better units can talk easily / clearly over a few kms ...

Radios are good on dusty rides, where the one in the front has better vision and is able to warn those behind about oncoming vehicles and other hazards - my press-to-talk button is mounted on the left side of the bars, just next to where my thumb naturally rests - very easy (and safe) to press it and talk - don't need to take my hand off the bars ...

Once the unit is in place, it's all pretty seamless - I don't notice the ear-pieces inside my helmet, and leave them in regardless of whether I'm actually using the radio ...

PS: I'd like to join in one of those Tallaganda rides - I've been on the brink of PM'ing you since that Jugiong ride, but each week seems to throw up an impediment - will keep trying ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #3745
Adenco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Stuser,
walked into shed 2 days after last ride and it stunk of petrol. I checked my WRR and it was leaking fluids from the engine so rung Slim and took my bike over for him to look at it figure out whats going on. I'm gonna have a crack at it and Slims gonna check a few other things and give it a full service. Quite happy to do it myself but it is reassuring to have someone who builds bikes hovering over your shoulder.

Hoots,
There is always a ride on Thursday at Tallaganda. The fellas I usually ride with are quite quick and I, usually not by choice, end up playing sweep
Will tee up a ride out there soon. I know 2 loops that keep me amused, South to Rocky Pick is say G2, North is say G3. Both about 80km.

BergDonk,
Yea 10am will mean out the door by 9am.

Comms; was thinking something along these lines with either a 62 series Garmin or a Rino Garmin. Thoughts? http://www.dmme.com.au/BikerCom.htm
Adenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #3746
havafati
Yassdafarian

Oddometer: 1,992
Got to get the big bike out for a good ride soon. Been hobbling around with bad gout for the last week and have been car bound. Hopefully it'll clear soon and I can get out. Who's about riding something bigger than a lil single track jigger? Thinking about getting out next Friday or Saturday for wee blat 300-400ks, maybe even an overnighter. Not sure of direction or destination just need to get out and get clear.
Cheers
Fati

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #3747
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
Got to get the big bike out for a good ride soon. Been hobbling around with bad gout for the last week and have been car bound. Hopefully it'll clear soon and I can get out. Who's about riding something bigger than a lil single track jigger? Thinking about getting out next Friday or Saturday for wee blat 300-400ks, maybe even an overnighter. Not sure of direction or destination just need to get out and get clear.
Cheers
Fati

Would be good, but have to finish preparing for the TK 2013 departure next week. Gunna be an awsome 3 weeks.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #3748
havafati
Yassdafarian

Quote:
Would be good, but have to finish preparing for the TK 2013 departure next week. Gunna be an awsome 3 weeks.
Thats up in Kenilworth right? My family are some of the original settlers in that district. In fact we were the fist to settle Obi Obi back in the 1800's. Man the riding up there is pure heaven your in for such a treat.
Cheers
Fati
Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #3749
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
Cheers
Fati
Free on Friday [after finishing a run of nightshifts], but tied to some projects going on [curse of the ownerbuilder!],
Call in for a coffee if you're free
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #3750
havafati
Yassdafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Free on Friday [after finishing a run of nightshifts], but tied to some projects going on [curse of the ownerbuilder!],
Call in for a coffee if you're free
Cheers
Baza
Is that next Friday mate. I'd come over but I can't currently drive as my foot can't press the throttle down way to much pain Friggin gout!
Cheers
Fati