ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #3841
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ron50's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canberra
Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post
My mate and I went for a ride up to the Brindies on Sunday (a DR and a KLR). Got half way to McIntyres campground when we had to turn back due to the increasing amount of mud. Fell over quite a few times which doesnt seem to hurt the DR at all but the KLR suffered a bent gear shifter, brake lever and broken clutch lever (bark busters a must!).
As we are pretty new to offroading, apart from better tyres, is there any tips for staying upright when going through mud? My rear tyre just keeps falling into tracks causing me to be perpendicular to where I want to be going
Tip 1. Let your tyres right down -- less than 12 psi.

Tip 2. If you can see that there's a clear path to the side of the ruts use it.

Tip 3. If the front wheel drops into a rut leave it there and let the back wheel follow: don't fight to get out of the rut too early.

Tip 4. Wait till summer.

Ron50 screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 07:21 PM
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #3842
Adenco
Adventurer
 
Adenco's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Caught in the ACT! Australia
Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post
Tip 1. Let your tyres right down -- say 12 psi.

Tip 2. If you can see that there's a clear path to the side of the ruts use it.

Tip 3. If the front wheel drops into a rut leave it there and let the back wheel follow: don't fight to get out of the rut too early.

Tip 4. Wait till summer.
Tip 5. Carry spare parts (levers- brake, clutch etc and shitloads of zipties) and a tool kit and persist. A sense of humor and most importantly before any assistance is offered........................................... ...........

















Take piccys- we all love a good piccy!!
Adenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #3843
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post
My mate and I went for a ride up to the Brindies on Sunday (a DR and a KLR). Got half way to McIntyres campground when we had to turn back due to the increasing amount of mud. Fell over quite a few times which doesnt seem to hurt the DR at all but the KLR suffered a bent gear shifter, brake lever and broken clutch lever (bark busters a must!).
As we are pretty new to offroading, apart from better tyres, is there any tips for staying upright when going through mud? My rear tyre just keeps falling into tracks causing me to be perpendicular to where I want to be going
Standing on the footpegs helps balance and control a lot. If you stare at the rut, that's where you will end up. Look where you want to go, not where you fear to go. It seems that whatever you are looking at, that's where you tend to go, regardless mostly.
Having an experienced rider along to coach you will shorten the learning curve considerably.
Folding tips on gear levers and brake pedals is most useful. As are barkbusters/handguards.
__________________
Death to Turnips.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #3844
greentea
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Canberra
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenco View Post
Take piccys- we all love a good piccy!!
Yeah I need to buy a dedicated camera, cant be assed half the time to stop, take my gloves off and get the ol iphone out. Need something rugged that can be easy to get to!
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #3845
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE91 View Post
Yeah, that's me, thanks for the great ride yesterday, went straight home signed up and found this thread!
That's great - welcome!

Rides get posted here, but if you're keen to get out and nothing is in the wind just pipe up and see if anyone is free ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #3846
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post

Apart from better tyres, is there any tips for staying upright when going through mud?
The tyres will pretty much dictate things ...

A knobby of some sort on the front is critical for keeping the nose up ...

You can often get away with more dual-sport tyres on the back ...

But serious mud is bad news on a big heavy bike ...

I was surprised by how dry (even dusty in a lot of places) Tallaganda was yesterday - I was expecting mud ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #3847
ADpete
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ADpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Canbrerra Australia
Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Standing on the footpegs helps balance and control a lot. If you stare at the rut, that's where you will end up. Look where you want to go, not where you fear to go. It seems that whatever you are looking at, that's where you tend to go, regardless mostly.
Having an experienced rider along to coach you will shorten the learning curve considerably.
Folding tips on gear levers and brake pedals is most useful. As are barkbusters/handguards.
Momentum and lost of it. It works for
__________________
PETERD
ADpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #3848
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADpete View Post
Momentum and lost of it. It works for
Well said - I think.
__________________
Death to Turnips.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #3849
Jdeks
Departed
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 947
So I FINALLY processed my photos of me and Fati's trip to Bill's sendoff.

Should I put em up here?
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #3850
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
So I FINALLY processed my photos of me and Fati's trip to Bill's sendoff.

Should I put em up here?
Absolutely!
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #3851
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
So I FINALLY processed my photos of me and Fati's trip to Bill's sendoff.

Should I put em up here?

Go for it!!!!!
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #3852
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post
Tip 1. Let your tyres right down -- less than 12 psi.

Tip 2. If you can see that there's a clear path to the side of the ruts use it.

Tip 3. If the front wheel drops into a rut leave it there and let the back wheel follow: don't fight to get out of the rut too early.

Tip 4. Wait till summer.
I like tip no.4
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #3853
JD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra
Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I was surprised by how dry (even dusty in a lot of places) Tallaganda was yesterday - I was expecting mud ...
I'm pretty sure there's no dust left in Tallaganda now, most of it seems to have come home on my bike
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #3854
Jdeks
Departed
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 947






































Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #3855
Jdeks
Departed
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 947






















Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014